Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2013, 01:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
There was a European release (dragon I think) that offered both options.
It's the AWE version that has both
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th September 2013, 01:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
The anchor bay release was widescreen and lost image from the top and bottom, the 4:3 unmatted release from Vipco retains this information.
But you said 'as it's supposed to be', what you're actually saying is that you personally prefer watching it in unmatted 4:3, which is fine, but its OAR is 1.85:1.
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th September 2013, 01:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
It's the AWE version that has both
And the Dutch EC Entertainment release.

Like all Filmirage productions it was shot in 1.33:1 because they were mostly aimed at the video market. If anything, Stagefright should be matted to 1.66:1.
keirarts likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 5th September 2013, 01:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
And the Dutch EC Entertainment release.

Like all Filmirage productions it was shot in 1.33:1 because they were mostly aimed at the video market. If anything, Stagefright should be matted to 1.66:1.
Yeah, that one too, just checked on DVD Compare to make sure I was right instead of digging out my copy of the AWE release
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th September 2013, 01:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
But you said 'as it's supposed to be', what you're actually saying is that you personally prefer watching it in unmatted 4:3, which is fine, but its OAR is 1.85:1.
Except it wasnt shot 1:85:1. There is definately more image in the fullscreen presentation. I suspect most fans would prefer this. If blue underground releases it in the same ratio they did on dvd then i could not reccomend it to fans.
Old 5th September 2013, 06:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman View Post
Wow! I wonder how the transfer [of Schwarze Messe der Dämonen] will look?
The screenshots I have seen looked very solid.

I think this will give you a first impression

Schwarze Messe der Dämonen - Horror - Film Maniax

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts
I suspect most fans would prefer this.
Me not
oaxaca likes this.
Old 5th September 2013, 06:47 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post

Me not
Each to their own as far as releases go. But having watched the VHS countless times and the vipco release countless times I thought the anchor bay release was shite.

That said its a moot point. For all anyone knows the upcoming Blu-ray has both versions on that should make everyone happy. The full image for me and the cut down compromised one for people who want stagefright to fit their widescreen telly.
Old 5th September 2013, 11:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Except it wasnt shot 1:85:1. There is definately more image in the fullscreen presentation. I suspect most fans would prefer this. If blue underground releases it in the same ratio they did on dvd then i could not reccomend it to fans.
You misunderstand what OAR means, just because it was shot at unmatted 4:3, doesn't mean that it was intended to be screened that way by the director. The correct way to view it is 1.85:1 (and possibly 1.66:1 if it was screened that way in Europe), and then the unmatted 4:3 image was meant for TV and VHS without having to pan and scan. More image doesn't necessarily mean better, sometimes if you show an unmatted image you can actually see stuff like boom mics and crash mats But like I said, if you prefer watching it like that then that's absolutely fine, I just don't want people to get the wrong idea.
Old 5th September 2013, 11:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
The full image for me and the cut down compromised one for people who want stagefright to fit their widescreen telly.
Then you may want to watch A Bug's Life in 4:3 because that shows more image top and bottom as I recall from back in the day when I compared the two versions I hope you understand my point now haha.
Old 6th September 2013, 06:44 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
You misunderstand what OAR means, just because it was shot at unmatted 4:3, doesn't mean that it was intended to be screened that way by the director. The correct way to view it is 1.85:1 (and possibly 1.66:1 if it was screened that way in Europe), and then the unmatted 4:3 image was meant for TV and VHS without having to pan and scan. More image doesn't necessarily mean better, sometimes if you show an unmatted image you can actually see stuff like boom mics and crash mats But like I said, if you prefer watching it like that then that's absolutely fine, I just don't want people to get the wrong idea.
And stagefright was made for the home video market. My previous comment was half in jest but the anchor bay widescreen doesn't just cut out incidental things, this is why the Euro edition put both versions on. Normally I avoid european releases based on cost (thanks to the Euro) but if Blue underground (if its even them releasing it) don't give the option for both I don't want it and I know an awful lot of long time fans of the film who feel the same.

Like this? Share it using the links below!