Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5700Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th September 2013, 06:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ignoring our jesting on the other page, thats a shame.

Put it into your Amazon wishlist, that way you can keep an eye out if the book depository get any more stock at 1p.
Well I'll be at the BFI shop tomorrow, so I'll probably feel obliged to buy it full price. I find it hard to leave that place without buying anything. I saw last time they were also selling BFI Gothic Oyster Card holders . . .
Old 13th October 2013, 05:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Bah, no such luck with my BFI Gothic book for 10p. Order cancelled . . .
BFI Gothic book? It's brand new. If you saw it listed that cheap it would have been a misprice.
troggi likes this.
Old 13th October 2013, 04:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
BFI Gothic book? It's brand new. If you saw it listed that cheap it would have been a misprice.
Mine wasn't at 1p from The Book Depository, brand new.
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 13th October 2013, 04:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Wife back home from her stay in Dublin today and she brings me back Stephen King's new book 'Doctor Sleep'. Thank you Olivia
Old 13th October 2013, 10:57 PM
Cult Addict

Kenneth Angers HOLLYWOOD BABYLON. £2.50 from British Heart Foundation.
Old 19th October 2013, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Picked up from Waterstones today Monsters in the Movies
Old 19th October 2013, 02:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Finished The Death of Bunny Monroe a few days ago, Nick Cave's 2009 novel about a sex addicted father coping with his wife's suicide with his nine year old son in tow... I've seen this one getting some pretty scathing reviews but I enjoyed it. This is dark, bleak stuff though not without its fair share of humour. The book is set in Brighton and although I've never been there, I don't think Cave quite has the ear for local dialogue but it's well written and some genuinely hallucinatory moments. It's a short work and could easily be digested in 2 or 3 sittings which I would recommend. Incidentally, Cave thanks Ray Winstone in the books acknowledgements and even though he would now be too old to play Bunny Monroe, Winstone's 1997 film Nil By Mouth would be a good frame of reference...

Old 23rd October 2013, 10:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

This one arrived on my desk in work this morning, so I can't post any pics of the book right now but first impressions are good - this is an overview of the pre-'Net fanzine scene - the majority of zines featured are US but one chapter is devoted to the Dark Side's Fanzine Focus column, and very glad I am too as this was my main conduit for grabbing fanzines back in the day. Book itself resembles a chunky DVD Delirium in size, and the Q&A format with the various fanzine editors is overlaid with heavy photocopied b/w pics, posters and ad mats very much like the majority of the staple n' glue fanzines of that era. Looking forward to delving into this one !

[/QUOTE]
Old 28th October 2013, 10:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Comic Heroes Magazine" from those lovely people at SFX is a bi-monthly publication (no, it's not exclusively for those with an AC/DC sexuality, anyone can read it). The fairly hefty price tag of £8.99 is, in my opinion, justified by the sheer quality and quantity of news, interviews, reviews and other articles in the mag. This month's theme is "super doubles team ups" obviously because of the controversy surrounding the forth-coming Supes and Bats love-in movie.

I was a little disappointed, initially, in this month's"Darkside" mag because the promised article on Maddy Smith (y' know, er... big, beautiful... er... eyes ) did not appear. Not to worry though 'cos they've stuck in an article on Me Me Lai, with some nice stills, and an interview with Barbara Bouchet, also with great stills. Also between the covers of this month's offering is an article on cinema double bills, they may not make financial sense in this increasingly capitalist world but, boy, were they fun! "BRING BACK the DOUBLE BILL," that's what I say, and stick in some cartoons for good measure, preferably ones that haven't seen the inside of a cinema for 20 years!

There's a fascinating article on "mollies," poecilia sp. in "Practical Fishkeeping" this month but most of you wouldn't be bothered, I know...

On a more relevant note Marvel Now give us the latest and last instalment in the "Iron Man" saga"Secret Origins of Tony Stark" story arc and I definitely did not see that one coming! There could be some strange repercussions down the line after this one, mark my words!

Of course the delivery to Room 237, my friendly local comic shop, did not include the order for "The Department of Monsterology" which was due on Wednesday! I read about this comic in "Comic Heroes" in August and have been waiting patiently to read it, the current issue of the "Judge Dredd: Megazine" has a prequel to the series which piqued my interest even more. I'm so glad that I don't bite my nails!

Well that's an abridged version of my comics and magazine shopping for the month, I've missed out "2000AD" and Titan's "The Dark Knight" and new "Arrow" comics as well as Marvel's Collector Series "The Incredible Hulks" (yes it's plural Hulkage, folks)!

Happy reading!
bdc, Hawkmonger and SCM like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 28th October 2013, 01:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just bought for £6 JLA VS. Predator
Hawkmonger and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!