All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5700Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2018, 10:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Decided to ask my daughter for that there "Paperbacks from Hell" book for xmas and because of that got to thinking about horror paperbacks i used to own and iconic horror novel covers.

So lately i've been having a mooch around local charity shops in search of horror books.

Decided i wanted to re acquire some Stephen King books i previously owned (probably just the early stuff), but specifically looking for the covers i used to own, found these so far.

Attachment 211128 Attachment 211129

Attachment 211130

Also found this one that i had as a kid.

Attachment 211131

Carrying on with the Pb's from hell idea i picked these up too, never read these but i remembered the covers from back in the day.

Attachment 211132 Attachment 211133

Attachment 211134
Good batch there Nos, Spawn is a great read by Shaun Hutson
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 11th December 2018, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Some nice finds, nos.

Spawn is great, Hutson is like the British Richard Laymon to me. Pacy and very sick.

I used to have The Mummy. It was a long time ago. I think i gave up on it. Got several Anne Rice novels and i really don't know if i like her or not.

I don't think i've ever read Salem's Lot or Firestarter. Different Seasons is good though.
Old 11th December 2018, 10:36 PM
Cult Addict

Also picked these up recently from charity shops.

126204.jpg 9781857936346-us.jpg

868101271.0.m.jpg 9780241972069.jpg

Read some Carter before and like her style of writing and love "Company of Wolves" so thought i'd grab this one when i saw it.
Always liked Rackham's illustrations but never owned a book about him,this set me back £1.

Read another Wax book on mindfulness which i found enjoyable and useful as i have problems with anxiety at times, so this will be my next toilet reading after the "Report from the bunker" Burroughs book which i also found, reading this at the moment, a record of conversations he had with other artists and writers on a variety of subjects, interesting stuff.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 11th December 2018, 11:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Some nice finds, nos.

Spawn is great, Hutson is like the British Richard Laymon to me. Pacy and very sick.

I used to have The Mummy. It was a long time ago. I think i gave up on it. Got several Anne Rice novels and i really don't know if i like her or not.

I don't think i've ever read Salem's Lot or Firestarter. Different Seasons is good though.
I've read some Shaun Hutson in the past, Relics, Erebus and Assassin i think and quite enjoyed those.

I've only read "Interview with the vampire" by Rice, read it just before the film came out, it was ok but i wasn't impressed enough to read anymore.
I like the cover of this one and don't think i've ever read a Mummy novel so thought it might be worth a punt.

I prefer Stephen King's early stuff (i guess a lot of it is nostalgia as his early stuff were some of the first "Adult" horror books i read, around the age of about 10 or 11 when i started i think.)
I think "It" killed him for me, i liked the book but it was too long, i finished it but it became a chore by the end.

For instance i saw a copy of Tommyknockers the other day (which i have read) but it wasn't a favourite so i didn't bother to pick it up, i'm not sure if i'm gonna get Needful things either.

I'm still after The Shining, Night Shift, Christine, Cujo and The Dead zone if i find them with the covers i want.
Also got a few James Herbert books as well so am looking out for some of his too.

I'm not a massive reader at the moment so smaller books are better for me.
I prefer books to be around 200 pages ideally, 400 is doable, anything more and it's unlikely i'm gonna finish it.

Salem's Lot is King's variation on Dracula, i remember it being very good and Firestarter i enjoyed back in the day.
troggi likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th December 2018, 01:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Some nice finds, nos.

If you can get the original version of the book there is a new addition but was crap it explained a lot of boring crap about the founders of' the lot'
Old 12th December 2018, 07:10 PM
Cult Addict

This came from Amazon today. There is a little book that briefly explores Lovecrafts influence on popular culture but mainly I bought it for the statue.
20181212_200703-518x691.jpeg
Old 12th December 2018, 07:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
This came from Amazon today. There is a little book that briefly explores Lovecrafts influence on popular culture but mainly I bought it for the statue.
Attachment 211144
Nice one, how much?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
troggi likes this.
Old 12th December 2018, 07:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Nice one, how much?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Amazon have it for £11.84
troggi and bleakshaun like this.
Old 15th December 2018, 05:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Took my mum to Asda this afternoon for some shopping. I was just killing time waiting browsing the books. Had a look at the Die Hard coffee table book and so on then noticed this HUGE Art of Harry Potter book. All except one were sealed. I'm not the biggest Potter fan in fact they all blend into one to me, but this book absolutely wowed me. It's stunningly gorgeous and at £20 a bargain. (It's fifty quid at Waterstones)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6258 (Large).jpg (95.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 8th January 2019, 04:38 PM
Cult Addict

Picked these up in HMV today. The Zombie Cinema book was £4.99 with any purchase, normally £20.
20190108_173422-695x391.jpeg

Last edited by J Harker; 8th January 2019 at 04:49 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!