Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   What Books Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/10253-what-books-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2022 07:59 PM

Smith Crab's books were supposedly going to be adapted by Amicus and turned into the third Doctor Who film.

However it never came about. Why? I can't tell you because i haven't yet read in feature on it in the latest Doctor Who magazine.

trebor8273 27th July 2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 673958)
Smith Crab's books were supposedly going to be adapted by Amicus and turned into the third Doctor Who film.

However it never came about. Why? I can't tell you because i haven't yet read in feature on it in the latest Doctor Who magazine.

Herd that as well don't think they would of kept the excessive gore and sex in it!

Susan Foreman 27th July 2022 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 673958)

Guy N. Smith wrote the foreword to the 2003 Telos novella 'Shell Shock'. In it, he claims to have connected to the story because of the dominance of crabs in the plot

Milton Subotsky, producer of the two 1960's Dr Who films, bought the film rights to the book 'Night of the Crabs'. Unknown to Smith, Subotsky would rewrite the Crabs script into a new Dr Who film treatment. When interviewed about this for the Daily Telegraph, Smith's granddaughter would reveal Smith was a Doctor Who fan and used to have a full-size police box in his garden

The new film, which was to be called 'Dr Who's Greatest Adventure' was written sometime in the early to mid 1980s. Its existence wasn't known until Subotsky's sons brought a copy to a BFI screening of the Peter Cushing films

In the story, two versions of "Dr Who", an older version (intended as either Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker) and a younger one (played by a new and unknown actor,) would unite to save the English countryside from large, carnivorous crabs. Subotsky wanted to cast his own young Doctor for fear the current Doctor on the TV show may have left before the film came out.

The script, written by Edward and Valerie Abraham, was actually a reworking of Guy N. Smith's horror film adaptation of his own story, with fifteen new pages being added to show the Doctors arriving

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2022 10:22 PM

Well Googled, Susan!

troggi 27th July 2022 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 673964)
Guy N. Smith wrote the foreword to the 2003 Telos novella 'Shell Shock'. In it, he claims to have connected to the story because of the dominance of crabs in the plot

Milton Subotsky, producer of the two 1960's Dr Who films, bought the film rights to the book 'Night of the Crabs'. Unknown to Smith, Subotsky would rewrite the Crabs script into a new Dr Who film treatment. When interviewed about this for the Daily Telegraph, Smith's granddaughter would reveal Smith was a Doctor Who fan and used to have a full-size police box in his garden

The new film, which was to be called 'Dr Who's Greatest Adventure' was written sometime in the early to mid 1980s. Its existence wasn't known until Subotsky's sons brought a copy to a BFI screening of the Peter Cushing films

In the story, two versions of "Dr Who", an older version (intended as either Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker) and a younger one (played by a new and unknown actor,) would unite to save the English countryside from large, carnivorous crabs. Subotsky wanted to cast his own young Doctor for fear the current Doctor on the TV show may have left before the film came out.

The script, written by Edward and Valerie Abraham, was actually a reworking of Guy N. Smith's horror film adaptation of his own story, with fifteen new pages being added to show the Doctors arriving

One of the things I miss on my frequent sojourns from this fabulous film forum is the erudition of it's members and their ability to find invaluable nuggets and gems of information! I tip my hat to you, Susan (and a "well done, peeps" to every blessed one of you).

trebor8273 1st August 2022 04:26 PM

8 Attachment(s)
More books maybe I should buy the New York public library. Was giving John Grisham and Twilight .

trebor8273 3rd August 2022 04:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Even more books, damn charity shops.

What happened to Clive Barker last thing he wrote was I think scarlet gospels and that was a pile of donkey pee simplistic and poorly written felt like someone else wrote it!

trebor8273 5th August 2022 03:55 PM

6 Attachment(s)
A few more.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2022 04:24 PM

Excellent, Trebor. You can never have too many books.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2022 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I too bought a book today but i doubt it's any interest to Labbers.