All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5700Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2015, 02:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just finished it and I'm shocked at how much it went downhill after I'd posted this. It's still a good book, but I'm not convinced it was written by Barker, kinda felt like I was reading Fan Fiction at times, all the things he teased us with over the years weren't included, such as Pinheads true name (The Hell Priest, really?), characters disappeared without explanation, poor dialogue filled with expletives and a plot so thin it could quite happily be the script for a DTV Hellraiser film.
Also, it's really short (360 pages), which makes me question why it took so long to arrive (health problems aside).
In short, wait for the price drop/paperback
Sorry for the necroquote...
Yes, I agree with all of this, I got Scarlet Gospels from Waterstones because they had it on the shelf 2 weeks earlier than release date, I devoured the first 100 pages or so, pretty much everything up to New Orleans and I loved it but as soon a Harry got back to New York it seriously declined in quality. I found it quite laborious to get through towards the end.
Thankfully, the last 40-50 pages were actually pretty good but the middle was 100% guff haha.
Rik and keirarts like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th June 2015, 03:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm still not convinced Barker actually wrote it, it didn't read like any of his previous works
trebor8273 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th June 2015, 09:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just ordered this.

Have to agree with what everyone has said about the scarlet gospels fantastic for the first hundred pages or so, but then goes down hill fast. A huge disappointment and as others have said really don't think he wrote it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.9 KB, 2 views)
Mojo, Rik and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 18th June 2015, 12:52 PM
Cult Veteran

Not something I bought recently, but I picked it up when it came out in paperback and I'm only just got around to it;

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)

Excellent so far, as soon as I started reading it I was reminded how much I loved reading The Cuckoo's Calling. If you enjoy detective/thriller novels I recommend both of them. It's a series but I'm not convinced you need to read them in order, Silkworm is almost written in the way that the author summarises the important events of the previous book, but not to the extent that she did in Harry Potter because it's not for 7yr olds haha.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th June 2015, 03:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A friend has been marking GCSE exam papers on this and, because I haven't read it since I was 10 or 11, thought I should read it again; because I don't have a copy, I bought one.

Old 20th June 2015, 07:40 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
A friend has been marking GCSE exam papers on this and, because I haven't read it since I was 10 or 11, thought I should read it again; because I don't have a copy, I bought one.

I studied that for my English Literature GCSE myself and still have my well read, hi-lighted and noted copy lying around somewhere!
Old 20th June 2015, 07:49 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I studied that for my English Literature GCSE myself and still have my well read, hi-lighted and noted copy lying around somewhere!
I did An Inspector Calls, which I haven't read since – I haven't seen the film/TV adaptation either. I think I was fortunate in that way (I was in hospital at the time), because the rest of my class had to read Tess of the d'Urbervilles, which they said was tedious and very hard going.
Old 23rd June 2015, 08:01 AM
Cult Addict

All I've been buying are graphic novels.
Judge Dredd case files 3
Hack/Slash omnibus vol 1
Spawn Origins vol 1
V for Vendetta
Neonomicon
Batman Death of the family (with joker mask)
Tank Girl book 1
Suicide Squad vol 1
Vipp likes this.
Old 4th July 2015, 11:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436051582.294529.jpg
Charity shop - 50p
Old 8th July 2015, 07:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436382006.578225.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436382017.873791.jpg

Picked these both up in Waterstones in St Andrews. The Sherlock Holmes one seems to be a more or less complete collection of the stories. I've not given it too much attention since I got it, but after looking it over in store it looks pretty good, and was only £6.99 full price.

My Friend Dahmer is a graphic novel written by someone who was friends with Jeffrey Dahmer in High School (!). Looks great- great artwork, great story. Really dark looking. And, it come highly recommended. as you can see from the praise quote on the cover!
Demoncrat and SharonLynette like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!