Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5700Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2016, 05:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

That cover stands open too much. I hope you haven't bent the spine already.
Justin101 and MuckyFunster like this.
Old 11th March 2016, 05:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ordered a copy of I'M GLUE, YOU'RE RUBBER, by make-up artist, Shannon Shea.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 11th March 2016, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Attachment 176620

I've never watched the film of A Clockwork Orange cause I'd heard the book was good so had decided ages ago to read the book before the film. Finally picked up the book, and have so far read only the first page. Hmmm....

I'm surprised how short the book is, only 140 pages, but even at that I'm not sure I'll last till the end.

I'm sure I'd heard before too, that the book came with a glossary or something, but this edition does not have one.
This is the edition you want with the glossary and some essays about the book. I got this one for Christmas because I lost my old one which had the classic cover with the eye.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th March 2016, 05:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Attachment 176620

I've never watched the film of A Clockwork Orange cause I'd heard the book was good so had decided ages ago to read the book before the film. Finally picked up the book, and have so far read only the first page. Hmmm....

I'm surprised how short the book is, only 140 pages, but even at that I'm not sure I'll last till the end.

I'm sure I'd heard before too, that the book came with a glossary or something, but this edition does not have one.
The first few pages are the most difficult to read but, once you continue reading, you'll find the prose is easier as your brain adapts to the rather unusual vocabulary. At least, that's how I found it.
Old 12th March 2016, 11:26 AM
Cult Addict

Some copies have the glossary, some don't, i've had a few versions.
the glossary definitely helps us to understand Alex's world better.
If you put Clockwork orange glossary into your browser you will find quite a few available online.
The book is really worth completing and it should have a final chapter that differs from the film if i remember correctly.
It does take a while to get your head round the language though.
It's a great book.
MuckyFunster likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th March 2016, 12:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

From the BBC shop closing down sale. All £2 or under.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2432 (Large).jpg (84.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 12th March 2016, 06:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm currently reading My Wicked Wicked Ways by Errol Flynn, but once I'm done with that I'll give A Clockwork Orange my full attention. It seems almost like Burgess took the classroom task "...In your own words write a story..." too literally! Lol.

I picked this one up for £2 put of the book factory today. I'll add it to the ever growing pile.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457812358.211499.jpg
Old 12th March 2016, 06:54 PM
Cult Master

Please stick with 'A Clockwork Orange' - it really is worth reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
...and it should have a final chapter that differs from the film if i remember correctly.
From Wikipedia:

"The book has three parts, each with seven chapters. Burgess has stated that the total of 21 chapters was an intentional nod to the age of 21 being recognised as a milestone in human maturation. The 21st chapter was omitted from the editions published in the United States prior to 1986. In the introduction to the updated American text (these newer editions include the missing 21st chapter), Burgess explains that when he first brought the book to an American publisher, he was told that U.S. audiences would never go for the final chapter, in which
SPOILER:
Alex sees the error of his ways, decides he has lost all energy for and thrill from violence and resolves to turn his life around (a slow-ripening but classic moment of metanoia—the moment at which one's protagonist realises that everything he thought he knew was wrong).

At the American publisher's insistence, Burgess allowed their editors to cut the redeeming final chapter from the U.S. version, so that the tale would end on a darker note, with Alex succumbing to his violent, reckless nature—an ending which the publisher insisted would be "more realistic" and appealing to a U.S. audience. The film adaptation, directed by Stanley Kubrick, is based on the American edition of the book (which Burgess considered to be "badly flawed")
Kubrick called Chapter 21 "an extra chapter" and claimed that he had not read the original version until he had virtually finished the screenplay, and that he had never given serious consideration to using it. In Kubrick's opinion, the final chapter was unconvincing and inconsistent with the book."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th March 2016, 04:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

From Preston Waterstones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2453 (Large).jpg (89.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 24th March 2016, 07:18 PM
Cultist in Training

Picked up I'M RUBBER, YOU'RE GLUE by make-up artist, Shannon Shea. It looks savage.

Like this? Share it using the links below!