Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5700Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2017, 10:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I bought this a couple of weeks ago, it's pretty good.

Old 8th January 2017, 03:04 PM
Cult Addict

Haven't bought any film books for ages but couldn't resist these two.

nightmare.jpg

Nightmare USA is uber impressive, that and the Aurum horror encyclopedia are my largest horror film books. Only delved in briefly but it is a thing of beauty.

euro gothic.jpg

Like some others on cult labs i have found this a bit confusing to dip into, a lot of films are referenced by their foreign titles which makes finding a review a chore. Still a good book but a shame this is the case because it looks even more impressive than the English gothic book.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 8th January 2017, 03:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post

Attachment 185482

Like some others on cult labs i have found this a bit confusing to dip into, a lot of films are referenced by their foreign titles which makes finding a review a chore. Still a good book but a shame this is the case because it looks even more impressive than the English gothic book.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's found Euro Gothic a bit of a drag in that regard. Rigby for some reason has insisted on only using the foreign language title of the films included. Bit of a pain where many of the films are far better known by their English titles. Also the lack of a more extensive index including Directors names is a shame. Often too the films discussed in the book are often talked about on a different page to the actual header. Endlessly informative with incredible depth and well written but just a bit poorly laid out to my mind.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 8th January 2017, 03:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's found Euro Gothic a bit of a drag in that regard. Rigby for some reason has insisted on only using the foreign language title of the films included. Bit of a pain where many of the films are far better known by their English titles. Also the lack of a more extensive index including Directors names is a shame. Often too the films discussed in the book are often talked about on a different page to the actual header. Endlessly informative with incredible depth and well written but just a bit poorly laid out to my mind.
When i first posted about the titles of the films in the book i was a tad embarrassed due to my lack of knowledge. However it seems i'm not the only one who finds it annoying. That's at least three other respected members here who have said the same thing as me.
Old 8th January 2017, 04:01 PM
Cult Addict

"Three other respected members" and Nosferatu42.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 8th January 2017, 04:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
When i first posted about the titles of the films in the book i was a tad embarrassed due to my lack of knowledge. However it seems i'm not the only one who finds it annoying. That's at least three other respected members here who have said the same thing as me.
I felt the same. I must have missed the other posts regarding this and just assumed I was a bit ignorant regarding foreign titles. From what you've seen Dem how does it compare to English Gothic?
Old 8th January 2017, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I felt the same. I must have missed the other posts regarding this and just assumed I was a bit ignorant regarding foreign titles. From what you've seen Dem how does it compare to English Gothic?
It's well written but i can't dip in and out of it as i would like nor can i find a film easily as i have to scrabble about to find the original title whereas i can find them easily in English Gothic.

I need to sit down and read the book as an academic piece rather than a reference work.
J Harker and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th January 2017, 07:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's well written but i can't dip in and out of it as i would like nor can i find a film easily as i have to scrabble about to find the original title whereas i can find them easily in English Gothic.

I need to sit down and read the book as an academic piece rather than a reference work.
At least something like a director index would help. It doesn't look or feel like one for dipping into. As you say it's more of a studious read.
Old 12th January 2017, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ordered this, looking forword to have some people over for dinner and trying the recipes!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feeding-Han...nibal+cookbook
Old 12th January 2017, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Ordered this, looking forword to have some people over for dinner and trying the recipes!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feeding-Han...nibal+cookbook
I find myself feeling quite guilty when it goes to shots of Hannibal preparing meals out of his victims and thinking they look delicious
trebor8273 likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!