Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   What Books Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/10253-what-books-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 365872)
I don't mind Grisham. Every time I've read one of his books I find myself picking it up every spare few minutes to find out what's gonna happen next. I'm still currently reading Imagica and am about 300 pages from the end and I can't wait to kill that book and move on to the next read (probably a biog of John Ford). I'll never again read another thousand-page fantasy novel as long as I live...

I agree about fantasy novels they can be hard work. Whereas, as you say, Grisham tends to write enjoyable page turners.

Wes 14th September 2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 365876)
I agree about fantasy novels they can be hard work. Whereas, as you say, Grisham tends to write enjoyable page turners.

Yeah, totally, I think I read The Rainmaker in 2, 3 days and y'know, it's a chunky paperback, but his skill as a pure storyteller sucks you right in. I mean Imagica is good, the writing is superb but trying to visualize all this fantasy stuff really is hard work. I mean no one could do a film of that novel with any justice...

Make Them Die Slowly 14th September 2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 365843)
You guys read the most interesting things around here. I have just The Confessions of AC and Zos Speaks! - Encounters With Austin Osman Spare (the latter on pdf sadly). I don't think I've made up my mind on Grant yet, Phil Baker is pretty leery of him in the Spare biography.

Grant's fantastic, sure he might have made most of it up and mixes fantasy with reality to a high degree but there is something in the way he does it that is greater than the parts. These are magical books not just books on magick. Not only is a Grant book like having the Necronomicon injected into the brain and soul, with added lurid scenes via Dennis Wheatley and Sax Rohmer, there is a workable system of magick to be had for the more adventurous traveller of the psyche. Admittedly finding two people who agree on this system is pretty near impossible but again, that is one of the great secrets of Grant, freedom to explore the multiverse beyond the confines of rigid dogma which plagues most magical approaches.

These books might be of interest to the budding Grantophile.

Dave Evans: The History of British Magick After Crowley. This is a expansion of Evan's PhD, and is a mix of academia and personal reflection of a practicing occultist.

David Rankine: Becoming Magick: This is a personal take on elements of Grant's work via some elements of MAAT Magick. A practical book rather than theory.

Jan Fries: Nightshades-A Tourists Guide to the Nightside. The ever excellent Fries enters the Tunnel of Set and comes back armed with an essay and a shit load of drawings.

Paul Weston: Aleister Crowley and the Aeon of Horus. Imagine RAW's "Cosmic Trigger" written by a hippy, psychic quester from Essex with a hard-on for High Weirdness and WWII.

SharonLynette 14th September 2013 08:49 PM

I got these a while back now but forgot to post.

Typical purchases by myself once the weather starts to get colder:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SzGoX9IlB2...Books+2+fr.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GPaL3LHiB6...Books+1+Fr.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th September 2013 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An Amazon seller has the new BFI book up at 1p brand new plus postage.

Thats £2.81 in total. Bargain for a book released only two weeks ago.

Naturally i had to order a copy.

Gothic: The Dark Heart of Film (A BFI Compendium): Amazon.co.uk: Various, James Bell: Books

Make Them Die Slowly 16th September 2013 10:37 PM

Just ordered Kenneth Grant's "Cult of the Shadow" which can be found here.Starfire Publishing

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th September 2013 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 366431)
Just ordered Kenneth Grant's "Cult of the Shadow" which can be found here.Starfire Publishing

You're not waiting for the October special limited 111 copies release then? ;)

Make Them Die Slowly 17th September 2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 366465)
You're not waiting for the October special limited 111 copies release then? ;)

Only if I can influence the Lotto numbers by magic before then.

Wes 17th September 2013 08:49 AM

I'd love to pick up an Austin Osman Spare art book. I got a book from Fulgur recently but there was less in it than I hoped. Is there one to recommend ?

Slippery Jack 17th September 2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 366106)
An Amazon seller has the new BFI book up at 1p brand new plus postage.

Thats £2.81 in total. Bargain for a book released only two weeks ago.

Naturally i had to order a copy.

C'mon! That's gotta be a mistake though? I see someone is now selling a used one for 10p. Had a flick through it in the BFI shop on saturday. Looks like a goodun...