All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5700Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2017, 11:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Same here, I don't really understand why people would even bother with the other beats once you discover Bill. They are trapped in time and space where as Burroughs transcends them and the written word. He was a total revelation when I first read him in my late teens, early twenties and a major influence when I used to do performence spoken word/poetry another life ago.
Gysin then? Some problems also cough

AAANYway .... the cut ups ..... did you find them sort of comforting as stations in life? To return to in times gone by. ?
Ahem. They are so rich in imagery. Perversely only Kafka equals him in this for me.
And that voice. The bored gravitas of Zeus on the crapper ooh im getting carried away...
& You can't get more cult anyhow

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th September 2017, 11:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

And to get on stage. Kudos.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th September 2017, 11:55 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
And to get on stage. Kudos.
Alcohol helped. The last thing I did was a poem called..The Divine Lord Jason, the Ejaculating Jesus of the True Believers Cathedral...wants your soul. I got crucified at the end of it whilst my mate's band played the riff to I wanna be your Dog endlessly until the room emptied. As part of the performance I carried the 7 foot cross 2 miles through town to the gig. Other than abuse from earlý drinkers, the highlight of the walk was a little kid who said..you look a bit cross mate!

Oh and some goon pulled a knife on me when I was tied to the cross as he was offended. Luckily a couple of friends jumped on him before I went the way of Jesus.
Old 20th September 2017, 11:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Gysin then? Some problems also cough

AAANYway .... the cut ups ..... did you find them sort of comforting as stations in life? To return to in times gone by. ?
Ahem. They are so rich in imagery. Perversely only Kafka equals him in this for me.
And that voice. The bored gravitas of Zeus on the crapper ooh im getting carried away...
& You can't get more cult anyhow
Ah, Gysin, I used to have a dream machine, never really worked for me other than look pretty in a dark room.

Oddly James Ellroy and Herman Hesse are the only other writers to have an impact on me.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 21st September 2017, 12:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Alcohol helped. The last thing I did was a poem called..The Divine Lord Jason, the Ejaculating Jesus of the True Believers Cathedral...wants your soul. I got crucified at the end of it whilst my mate's band played the riff to I wanna be your Dog endlessly until the room emptied. As part of the performance I carried the 7 foot cross 2 miles through town to the gig. Other than abuse from earlý drinkers, the highlight of the walk was a little kid who said..you look a bit cross mate!

Oh and some goon pulled a knife on me when I was tied to the cross as he was offended. Luckily a couple of friends jumped on him before I went the way of Jesus.
Lawdy Thomas!!!

[B]
Old 21st September 2017, 12:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Ah, Gysin, I used to have a dream machine, never really worked for me other than look pretty in a dark room.

Oddly James Ellroy and Herman Hesse are the only other writers to have an impact on me.
Ellroy aye ... Dudley Smith

TBH only Ligotti remotely made an impact at all since he went ... Cooper I see as a continum
I has to bed .... more Burrouwing later today thouggh

[B]
Old 24th September 2017, 01:44 PM
Cult Veteran

Got these in Fopp, I thought a fiver was a good chance to try some Burroughs outside of Naked Lunch. I’m not sure about The Place of Dead Roads, I never read the back until I was sat down later on. It’s a western...

IMG_0060.JPG

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th September 2017, 02:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Got these in Fopp, I thought a fiver was a good chance to try some Burroughs outside of Naked Lunch. I’m not sure about The Place of Dead Roads, I never read the back until I was sat down later on. It’s a western...

Attachment 196232
It is brilliant, one of my favourite books by Burroughs.
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 24th September 2017, 04:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

Attachment 196232

Place is more conventionally written than Machine. Enjoy both .... keep us posted!!
Justin101 likes this.

[B]
Old 24th September 2017, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:

Place is more conventionally written than Machine. Enjoy both .... keep us posted!!
I love the covers on both at least, it's a shame they didn't have some more in there. I've got a huge stack of books to get through, but I plan on reading Frisk then one of these two as soon as possible. I also want to go back to Naked Lunch, I was enjoying it last time I tried but felt it was a little oppressive at the time. I know what to expect the second time around.
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!