Like Tree5700Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2013, 06:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I don't mind Grisham. Every time I've read one of his books I find myself picking it up every spare few minutes to find out what's gonna happen next. I'm still currently reading Imagica and am about 300 pages from the end and I can't wait to kill that book and move on to the next read (probably a biog of John Ford). I'll never again read another thousand-page fantasy novel as long as I live...
I agree about fantasy novels they can be hard work. Whereas, as you say, Grisham tends to write enjoyable page turners.
Old 14th September 2013, 07:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I agree about fantasy novels they can be hard work. Whereas, as you say, Grisham tends to write enjoyable page turners.
Yeah, totally, I think I read The Rainmaker in 2, 3 days and y'know, it's a chunky paperback, but his skill as a pure storyteller sucks you right in. I mean Imagica is good, the writing is superb but trying to visualize all this fantasy stuff really is hard work. I mean no one could do a film of that novel with any justice...
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 14th September 2013, 08:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
You guys read the most interesting things around here. I have just The Confessions of AC and Zos Speaks! - Encounters With Austin Osman Spare (the latter on pdf sadly). I don't think I've made up my mind on Grant yet, Phil Baker is pretty leery of him in the Spare biography.
Grant's fantastic, sure he might have made most of it up and mixes fantasy with reality to a high degree but there is something in the way he does it that is greater than the parts. These are magical books not just books on magick. Not only is a Grant book like having the Necronomicon injected into the brain and soul, with added lurid scenes via Dennis Wheatley and Sax Rohmer, there is a workable system of magick to be had for the more adventurous traveller of the psyche. Admittedly finding two people who agree on this system is pretty near impossible but again, that is one of the great secrets of Grant, freedom to explore the multiverse beyond the confines of rigid dogma which plagues most magical approaches.

These books might be of interest to the budding Grantophile.

Dave Evans: The History of British Magick After Crowley. This is a expansion of Evan's PhD, and is a mix of academia and personal reflection of a practicing occultist.

David Rankine: Becoming Magick: This is a personal take on elements of Grant's work via some elements of MAAT Magick. A practical book rather than theory.

Jan Fries: Nightshades-A Tourists Guide to the Nightside. The ever excellent Fries enters the Tunnel of Set and comes back armed with an essay and a shit load of drawings.

Paul Weston: Aleister Crowley and the Aeon of Horus. Imagine RAW's "Cosmic Trigger" written by a hippy, psychic quester from Essex with a hard-on for High Weirdness and WWII.
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs and Wes like this.
Old 14th September 2013, 08:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I got these a while back now but forgot to post.

Typical purchases by myself once the weather starts to get colder:

Old 15th September 2013, 06:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

An Amazon seller has the new BFI book up at 1p brand new plus postage.

Thats £2.81 in total. Bargain for a book released only two weeks ago.

Naturally i had to order a copy.

Gothic: The Dark Heart of Film (A BFI Compendium): Amazon.co.uk: Various, James Bell: Books
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51B-uPVgfPL._SX342_.jpg (30.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th September 2013, 10:37 PM
Cult Addict

Just ordered Kenneth Grant's "Cult of the Shadow" which can be found here.Starfire Publishing
Old 17th September 2013, 04:07 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Just ordered Kenneth Grant's "Cult of the Shadow" which can be found here.Starfire Publishing
You're not waiting for the October special limited 111 copies release then?
Old 17th September 2013, 08:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
You're not waiting for the October special limited 111 copies release then?
Only if I can influence the Lotto numbers by magic before then.
Old 17th September 2013, 08:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'd love to pick up an Austin Osman Spare art book. I got a book from Fulgur recently but there was less in it than I hoped. Is there one to recommend ?
Old 17th September 2013, 08:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
An Amazon seller has the new BFI book up at 1p brand new plus postage.

Thats £2.81 in total. Bargain for a book released only two weeks ago.

Naturally i had to order a copy.
C'mon! That's gotta be a mistake though? I see someone is now selling a used one for 10p. Had a flick through it in the BFI shop on saturday. Looks like a goodun...
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!