All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2013, 06:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I also loved these - Fighting Fantasy Adventure gamebooks.

Oddly enough this was as far as orcs, trolls and shit went as i've never played a role playing game in my life. Or at least not one that doesn't involve a girl.
Me too. Loved them as a kid. Deathtrap Dungeon was the one!

Rik likes this.
Old 9th May 2013, 07:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Like others here, the reading of my childhood was made up of the Doctor Who Target novels.
Me too Dem. Used to love seeing these lined up in the bookshops. The Cave Monsters was the first one I read. Wish they'd reprint another selection of these.

Another favourite collection in my youth...

horror_pan04alt.jpg

t402.jpg

horror_pan18.jpg

pan24.jpg
Old 9th May 2013, 07:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Like others here, the reading of my childhood was made up of the Doctor Who Target novels.
I still have that original printning of Warriors of the Deep and The Loch Ness Monster.

DVD and BD collection
Old 9th May 2013, 09:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I still have that original printning of Warriors of the Deep and The Loch Ness Monster.
Fortunately, Like Bizarre_eye i still have mine.

I'm fairly sure i have them all.
Old 17th May 2013, 06:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

When I wasn't out with my mates throwing myself around building sites or trying not to drown in quarries I was an insatiable reader of fantasy, science fiction and horror.

I remember reading a square format illustrated 2 volume collection of Poe which really got me switched on to horror as did the Pan horror stories (which I would love to get again) and the "Creepy" and "Eerie" comics from Warren (which I would also like to see reprinted.

As for Science Fiction; H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Andre Norton, Robert Heinlein, the list goes on.

Fantasy or sword and sorcery as we called it then wasn't as easy to come by. It was basically "The Hobbit" or Robert E, Howard's "Conan" and other Heroes and his close students Lyon Sprague DeCamp and Lin Carter.

My other source of reading material was, of course, the American Comics. I was bitten when I first opened a Batman comic and a Spiderman Comic in 1966-67 and have never lost my love for them!

Computers are great but please encourage your children to read copious amounts of thrilling adventure stories. It will pay off in bucket loads. Out of the children I work with I can tell, without a reading, writing or spelling test which ones have grown up with books and which ones don't even see a newspaper in the house. The book kids have an imagination, a spark. The kids who've been plonked in front of a telly or computer are totally lacking in imagination, they've never had to imagine it's all been in front of 'em on the screen!

END OF RANT
Demoncrat and Hawkmonger like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 17th May 2013, 07:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watch 'Em Kill - A pretty bizarre story about killer plastic versions of the classic monsters which sprout from colored pellets when water is added. I used to read it practically every week:

troggi likes this.
Old 18th May 2013, 10:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Aye, the Target books. Both Alice books, Carrie, Herbert, Naked Lunch (which I found in the school library....I shit you not).

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th May 2013, 10:54 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I grew reading the Goosebumps stuff

and I read some Batman stuff such as

Old 18th May 2013, 11:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM View Post
I grew reading the Goosebumps stuff
Same here (must be similar age) - I did the Goosebumps books (which all seemed to be written by R.L. Stine I remember?) at Junior School, before upgrading to the Point Horror books, kind of like going from a PG to a 12 rating . . .
SCM likes this.
Old 18th May 2013, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Yeah, I started off reading these and somehow touched upon Edgar Alan Poe's work a few months later (just don't ask how I ended up jumping from Goosebumps to Poe)

Like this? Share it using the links below!