Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th July 2015, 02:06 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Question Childhood Horror Books

Hi everyone,

I'm sure that most of us can trace back our love for horror through our childhood. Whether it's through kids 'horror' movies, comics, toys or other fond memories.

With the new launch of the Goosebumps trailer (which looks awesome!), lets take a nostalgia trip back in time...

What scary books do you remember reading as a kid? Was there anything that terrified you (even if the book wasn't intended to be scary!). I know I used to read lots of 'horror-y' books growing up.

Share the horror books of your childhood below...
Old 10th July 2015, 02:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

I remember reading various editions of the Pan Book of Horror Stories. Some of those stories were the stuff of nightmares and really gruesome.
Old 10th July 2015, 02:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I never read horror as a child except i was given Dracula and Frankenstein in lavish illustrated glossy A4 paperback style books from Marks and Spencer. I loved those, very scary they were.

My main source of scares were the Target Doctor Who novels (I still own more or less the complete set).

Because there were no repeats and no additional channels, video's etc in the 70's and 80's the Target books and their brilliant covers were all we had to go off so the scares came from our own imagination which is far more terrifying than anything Insidious etal could throw at you today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18i6dkkmeldecjpg.jpg (39.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 22257.JPG (84.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg b138a67267ff9cd41e2c0c714a37ff10.jpg (29.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1374848.jpg (71.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1741259.jpg (91.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th July 2015, 06:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Point Horror. I loved Point Horror when they first came out, particularly, to name a few:

Funhouse;
The Babysitter;
The Window;
The Cheerleader;
The Perfume;
The Boyfriend;
Teacher's Pet;
The Lifeguard;
and April Fools.

of course I got rid of them all. Then picked them up in charity shops, before binning them again, then I've recently picked them up again!

Another book I really liked was Room 13 by Robert Swindells.
Old 11th July 2015, 07:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post

of course I got rid of them all. Then picked them up in charity shops, before binning them again, then I've recently picked them up again!
Old 14th July 2015, 03:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes, I had a lot of the Pan anthologies, as well as quite a few of the Who novels, but for sheer terror it has to be The Dark by James Herbert. Boy, did that weird me out at the time (11 when I read it!). Unless you count Grimms Fairy Tales, I didn't really read "kids" books though.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th July 2015, 03:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I would say none the first horror novels I remember reading as a child where the rats, cabal , the shining , salems lot and the keep amongst others I can't remember.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 15th July 2015, 03:27 PM
Cult Rookie

during my childhood I never read any errm more mature adult horror stories but I was a big goosebumps fan and let me tell you some of those stories were quite disturbing , scary and grisly if looked at the consequences of the characters

like take for instance don't look in the basement a child is swinging an axe at 2 exact copies of her dad one is really her dad the other is a mutant plant clone imagine if she hit the wrong one and don't get me started on the shock ending in the book

one of my favourite stories is one day at horrorland - wow that place seemed awesome if you are a thrill seeker and again the ending was completely awesome and hilarious too bad the tv episode was so darn awful and sugarcoated

oh but there were other book series in the genre that I love too Frighttime , Shivers etc
Old 15th July 2015, 04:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Target Dr Who novels and The Pan Book Of Horror Stories were essential reading for me
Old 15th July 2015, 09:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Goosebumps!

Long after my time!

I used to take all the Stephen King novels out of the library when I was a pup!

I remember one book when I was at primary school that terrified me.

It was an illustrated guide to Vampires Werewolves and demons.
The illustrations were horrifically graphic (For a primary 5 pupil!)
Rik and Demoncrat like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!