Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2016, 04:12 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Wigtown Book Town, Scotland's National Book Town in Wigtown, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.[/url]
That place looks like Heaven on Earth.
Old 24th June 2016, 04:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'll put you on the spot here, James.

Which of your books would you recommend to a first time reader of your work?
JamesN likes this.
Old 24th June 2016, 04:46 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Which of your books would you recommend to a first time reader of your work?
Well, the easy answer would be to recommend my short story collection, PEOPLE ARE STRANGE (only available in e-book at the moment at Cemetery Dance Publications). I find that a collection is usually a good "sampler" for a writer I've never tried before.

As for my longer stuff? It depends on what you're into:

MIDNIGHT RAIN = coming-of-age suspense (in the vein of Stephen King, Robert R. McCammon, and Ed Gorman)
THE WICKED = supernatural horror (in the vein of Richard Laymon and Bentley Little)
UGLY AS SIN = Southern noir thriller with a streak of twisted humor (in the vein of Joe R. Lansdale)
ANIMOSITY = psychological/home-invasion horror (in the vein of Jack Ketchum)
ODD MAN OUT = psychological "real world" horror (in the vein of Jack Ketchum)
Old 24th June 2016, 04:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
Well, the easy answer would be to recommend my short story collection, PEOPLE ARE STRANGE (only available in e-book at the moment at Cemetery Dance Publications). I find that a collection is usually a good "sampler" for a writer I've never tried before.

As for my longer stuff? It depends on what you're into:

MIDNIGHT RAIN = coming-of-age suspense (in the vein of Stephen King, Robert R. McCammon, and Ed Gorman)
THE WICKED = supernatural horror (in the vein of Richard Laymon and Bentley Little)
UGLY AS SIN = Southern noir thriller with a streak of twisted humor (in the vein of Joe R. Lansdale)
ANIMOSITY = psychological/home-invasion horror (in the vein of Jack Ketchum)
ODD MAN OUT = psychological "real world" horror (in the vein of Jack Ketchum)
The Wicked sounds like the one for me.
JamesN likes this.
Old 3rd July 2016, 12:46 PM
Cultist

The limited-edition paperback is now available to order:

Thunderstorm Books

Old 19th July 2016, 11:51 AM
Cultist

Limited paperback as well as signed hardcover (though I understand only 2 or 3 copies of that edition are left), now available:

Thunderstorm Books
Old 20th July 2016, 01:25 PM
Cultist

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. My buddy made a trailer for one of my novels a few years ago, and it just blew me away:

BTW: Huge thanks, again, to the mods for being cool with this. I appreciate the PM's -- every time I see one come through I worry I'm gonna get scolded, but then it's always very supportive.
Old 20th July 2016, 02:43 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Now that's how to make a book trailer! Looks like a great read

Mind if we share this via the Cult Labs' Facebook, Twitter, blah blah blah, James? Besides cult movie chat, Cult Labs should be a place where awesome projects/work such as this gets loads of support.
Old 20th July 2016, 03:22 PM
Cultist

Dude, I would love that! Maybe with the caveat (because for some reason I've never had my guy update the info in those last few seconds of the trailer) that the book is now available, not "COMING SOON" . . . interested parties can now purchase the paperback/e-book/audiobook from Permuted Press in addition to the signed limited hardcover from Necessary Evil Press that's advertised in the trailer.

Whew . . . I can hear you now: "Well, forget all this shit. Too much trouble." LOL

Seriously, man -- this is really cool of you. Greatly appreciated. Thanks again for everything.
J Harker and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 10th December 2016, 03:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I bought two of your books James and loved them both. Ugly as Sin was a riot, loved the characters and hard boiled style of writing. You did piss me off with Leon, though......'Nuff said!! I devoured it in just a couple of sittings and was wishing there was more by the time I got to the end. You hint that there might be a sequel, yeah, man, go for it!

The Wicked worked really well for me too. Loved the concept and your execution kept me wanting to turn the page when I should really have been getting my beauty sleep - I need it too!!

I'm envious of your talent and will be buying more soon definitely. Now, get your head down on Ugly as Sin 2.

And Happy Christmas dude!

Like this? Share it using the links below!