Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2010, 04:25 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Horror Magazines

Hi there!

Anybody here a subscriber to any horror focused magazines? I'm talking about stuff like Gorezone, Rue Morgue, Fangoria etc.

I've only looked at Gorezone a couple of times and thought it was okay, if a bit ameutrish. I'm thinking of supscribing to RM, but I'm not sure if it's worth it (I mean I could just spend that money on DVDs - which I luv so much!)

So what do you think? Anyone a fan of any horror mags? Any recommendations? Any warning to stay away from? Hell, do you even think horror magazines are worth it? I mean most of the info can be found VERY easily online.

Oh and also,
Old 24th March 2010, 04:29 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The UK is indeed lacking a good Horror mag dude, so you're probably best just using the interweb until one's produced!
Old 24th March 2010, 04:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes but prob with me is i cant be arsed to trawl the net or search through pages of what ever on what sites im lazy that what. presume thats why i learn bugger all, own fault realy ... at least reading a mag u can read it at work or hell even sat on the bog... i use to subscribe yrs ago. at some point or other to fangoria ... gorezone... samhain...i think that what it was called and 1 r 2 others but not all at the same time ....switching around from time to time or just leaving peroids of not getting owt . so id be keen as well to know which is a good mag to start subscribing to
Old 24th March 2010, 04:44 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

It's a real shame though, eh, Philleh. It's nice to hold something in your hands.

(Don't look at me like that!)

I mean, we all luv dvds on here over downloadable films (HEAVE!) and like gag said, it gives you something to flick through.

What did you make of those magazines? Any good? I wasn't too keen on GZ.
Old 24th March 2010, 04:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It's definately a pleasure to have an actual product in hand! As for Gorezone, I did ejoy reading it, but it's clearly suffering in the budget department!

Fango and Rue are your best options, but I find Rue a little on the expensive side (about £8 an issue) and Fango does pay a little too much attention on studio fare.

I'm hoping that SFX Horror edition leads to something bigger!!
Old 24th March 2010, 06:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

I still love to read horror mags ( and books ). I can't be arsed trawling through the interweb just to read some fanboy shite.

Rue Morgue is pretty good, but my favourite mags at the moment would have to be Is It Uncut? and the Hammer mag Little Shoppe Of Horrors
Old 24th March 2010, 06:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yeah, but you have to import those don't cha?

We need British equivalents that also covers our own little horror industry!
Old 24th March 2010, 06:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

There aren't many good 'orror mags around anymore. Rue Morgue is probably the best, but £8 is a bit much for a magazine. Fangoria is ok but, like Phil says, pays too much attention to studio fare. DVDWorld is not as good as it used to be, and Gorezone is poor.

I want Dark Side to come back.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 24th March 2010, 06:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
Yeah, but you have to import those don't cha?

We need British equivalents that also covers our own little horror industry!
Is It Uncut? is a UK mag, from Midnight Media. LSOH is available from UK sellers on eBay, although back issues are now becoming extremely rare.
Old 24th March 2010, 06:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Is It Uncut? is a UK mag, from Midnight Media. LSOH is available from UK sellers on eBay, although back issues are now becoming extremely rare.
Ah, thanks for the news. Thought it was like Ultraviolent - that's American, right?

Just had a squint and that's £8 too. Why can't we have a nice little, somewhat mainstream, rag that cost's about £4? That I would be happy with!

Essentially a Little White Lies for the horror crowd!

Like this? Share it using the links below!