All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2011, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Empire Magazine

I thought i would start this thread on Empire magazine as its still the best general movie mag around, and does have many features that would appeal to readers here who may not otherwise be that interested in it.

Anyone who wants to do the same with Total Film or any non genre specific movie mag can do so here as well.
Old 16th December 2011, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The latest issue* has a twenty one page feature on The Muppets and a very good six page interview with the mighty David Cronenberg.

*Spider-man, 2012 preview cover.
Old 17th December 2011, 05:59 AM
Cult Master

I have issues #1 - maybe #110 somewhere in the loft

They are just gathering dust, so I will probably look at selling them at some point in the future

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th December 2011, 07:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Don't think I've bought an issue of Empire in years, though my magazine buying in general has slowed right down. Having said that, I'm getting a Sight and Sound subscription for xmas, with a free Alice Blu Ray . . .
Old 17th December 2011, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I stopped getting Empire a while ago as it got to the point that the only section I read was Kim Newman's Video Dungeon.

I'm just not really interested in blockbusters any more and this is the mag's bread and butter, which is fair enough, but sometimes it really feels like I'm reading a big advert for whatever next 'big' movie's coming along.

I've currently got a subscription to the amazing Little White Lies, which is not only a thing of beauty, but they try to look at the less obvious films on offer. My main bugbear is it's 'out of 5' rating system, but that's only a minor niggle and something that just gets on my wick in general.
Alas it's only bi-monthly, but £20 for a year's subscription is definitely worth it.

I also get Sight & Sound every month because once you get over it's often overriding pomposity the articles and interviews are absolutely fascinating and Kim Newman does his best reviews in here, unlike Empire where he get's lumbered with often perfunctory reviews and star ratings.
marvinnashsear likes this.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 17th December 2011, 11:39 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I bought the first issue of Empire and have bought religiously without missing a month since mid-1990. I must say it's not the mag it once was and I think Total Film has edged it out really. I will continue to subscribe (as I will for TF) but I think the magazine's glory days are far behind.

Still, there are some great articles each month and people like Kim Newman, David Hughes and Ian Freer know what they're talking about.
Old 17th December 2011, 01:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I bought the first issue of Empire and have bought religiously without missing a month since mid-1990. I must say it's not the mag it once was and I think Total Film has edged it out really. I will continue to subscribe (as I will for TF) but I think the magazine's glory days are far behind.

Still, there are some great articles each month and people like Kim Newman, David Hughes and Ian Freer know what they're talking about.
In which way?

I always felt Total Film was always trying to be "cool" for the sake of it. As i don't buy it anymore i can't really compare them.
Old 17th December 2011, 07:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
I've currently got a subscription to the amazing Little White Lies, which is not only a thing of beauty, but they try to look at the less obvious films on offer. My main bugbear is it's 'out of 5' rating system, but that's only a minor niggle and something that just gets on my wick in general.
Alas it's only bi-monthly, but £20 for a year's subscription is definitely worth it.
I haven't bought that in ages (got issues 1-18ish in the wardrobe). Found the overbearing design kind of suffocated the written content, with little spaces for pointlessly brief reviews and tiny dvd coverage. Plus I ended up not reading half of it, with those hip, non-film related articles that had a tenuous link to the film of the month. But yeah, it sure looked purty, and I'd like the inside cover released as a roll of wallpaper each month . . .
Old 17th December 2011, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I haven't bought that in ages (got issues 1-18ish in the wardrobe). Found the overbearing design kind of suffocated the written content, with little spaces for pointlessly brief reviews and tiny dvd coverage. Plus I ended up not reading half of it, with those hip, non-film related articles that had a tenuous link to the film of the month. But yeah, it sure looked purty, and I'd like the inside cover released as a roll of wallpaper each month . . .
I am ALL about the tenuous links and overbearing design, makes it refreshingly different. The length of the reviews are just right for me as they don't give the reviewer any chance of spoilers unlike Sight & Sound, which is spoilerific most of the times.
I hear ya on the DVD/Blu coverage though, it's definitely lacking, but there raison d'etre seems to be cinema at the cinema, which is pretty brave.

Btw - those early issues go for crazy money on eBay!

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 17th December 2011, 11:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
The length of the reviews are just right for me as they don't give the reviewer any chance of spoilers unlike Sight & Sound, which is spoilerific most of the times.
I am ALL about the spoilers, always have been! The full-spoiler plot synopsis' are usually the first bit I go to

Quote:
Btw - those early issues go for crazy money on eBay!
I know! Saving em for a rainy day (though don't think I'd ever want to sell the Land of the Dead issue - love the cover art on that one) . . .

Like this? Share it using the links below!