All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1691Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2023, 10:21 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Another one just come out..

Did anyone get this? Any good? How does it compare to Ten Years of Terror?
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Did anyone get this? Any good? How does it compare to Ten Years of Terror?
I bought this and it’s excellent. I have Ten Years Of Terror as well ( which is also excellent ! )
Full colour throughout with plenty of photos. Plus, it does have a few titles not covered in TYOT. There’s also coverage of tv horror and a long list of short features at the end of the book.
If you have any other We Belong Dead books ( Unsung Horrors etc ) you’ll be aware of the slick, eye catching look that you’ll get here.
If TYOT brought out an expanded updated version, I’d buy that too. Can’t get enough UK 70s horror!
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Thanks Mojo. I’ll get a copy
Mojo likes this.
Old 4th April 2023, 02:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

I suspect this book has been mentioned elsewhere but it's new to me so..

41F-aI4uVFL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The definitive guide to the making of the landmark horror movie The Wicker Man, lavishly illustrated and packed with insights into this classic chiller.

The Wicker Man is one of the greatest horror movies of all time – a chilling exploration of an isolated community with a terrible secret. Featuring a stellar cast including Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward, Britt Ekland and Ingrid Pitt, The Wicker Man has terrified audiences world-wide for fifty years.

Author and filmmaker John Walsh tells the story of how this singular – and somewhat unlikely – folk-horror classic came to be, illustrated with fascinating behind-the-scenes photography, new interviews, exclusive artwork, and never-before-seen material from the StudioCanal archives. Learn the secret history of Summerisle – if you dare…

24th October release. Price £39.99 !!
Old 4th April 2023, 02:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I suspect this book has been mentioned elsewhere but it's new to me so..

Attachment 245531

The definitive guide to the making of the landmark horror movie The Wicker Man, lavishly illustrated and packed with insights into this classic chiller.

The Wicker Man is one of the greatest horror movies of all time – a chilling exploration of an isolated community with a terrible secret. Featuring a stellar cast including Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward, Britt Ekland and Ingrid Pitt, The Wicker Man has terrified audiences world-wide for fifty years.

Author and filmmaker John Walsh tells the story of how this singular – and somewhat unlikely – folk-horror classic came to be, illustrated with fascinating behind-the-scenes photography, new interviews, exclusive artwork, and never-before-seen material from the StudioCanal archives. Learn the secret history of Summerisle – if you dare…

24th October release. Price £39.99 !!
That's bound to be excellent. I have other books by Walsh on Escape From New York and Flash Gordon and they are both superb.
Old 4th April 2023, 03:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah, I got the Flash Gordon Book.
Old 5th April 2023, 05:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I got the Flash Gordon Book.
I'd forgotten Walsh also did Harryhausen: The Lost Movies which was very good as well.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 6th May 2023, 03:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

23 Nov. 2023 - The Carry On Girls

Quote:
Far more than mere eye candy, these in-control, hard-working, and pioneering ladies were an early and earnest manifestation of Girl Power in the British film industry. This book will provide an invaluable celebration of the highly talented and forever decorative screen sirens that bewitched Carry On heroes Sid James, Kenneth Connor, Leslie Phillips, Bernard Bresslaw, Jim Dale, Peter Butterworth and, yes, even, Kenneth Williams.

Through never-before-seen publicity material, exclusive interviews with the girls themselves and affectionate biographies by Carry On historian Robert Ross, this will be the most thumbed coffee table book ever to hit your coffee table!

Soap opera favourites Amanda Barrie (Alma in Coronation Street) and Wendy Richard (Pauline Fowler in EastEnders), Bond girls Margaret Nolan, Madeline Smith and the Goldfinger star herself, Shirley Eaton, as well as international glamour stars Elke Sommer and Dany Robin, will be featured in candid interviews and stunning portrait shots.

This book will be a long overdue salute to dozens of beloved Carry On actresses, from the courageous Liz Fraser to the ill-fated Imogen Hassall, and from the national treasure Barbara Windsor to the unfairly forgotten Sally Douglas. Each with a poignant and personal memory from fellow Carry On legend Valerie Leon, who will provide her unique and exclusive commentary.

The book will also investigate the continuing cult of the Carry On girl, from Daniella Westbrook’s Carry On London photographic sessions to Page 3 girl Malene Espensen paying tribute to the Carry On Camping bra-burst of Barbara Windsor. All done in the best possible taste, of course, with the affection and joy that still makes the Carry On films the eternal toast of ITV3 and BritBox.

The book will feature a wealth of illustrations ranging from cheesecake shots for Tit-Bits to relaxed behind-the-scenes poses with Carry On filmmakers Peter Rogers and Gerald Thomas and comedy legends such as Phil Silvers, Harry H. Corbett, Bob Monkhouse and Bernard Cribbins.

Full of intimate tales from the soundstages of Pinewood Studios, snapshots of a lost industry and oodles of laughs, this is the ultimate tribute to a fun-filled era when British crumpet was at its spiciest!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carry-Girls...03993405&psc=1

A must buy for me. Sounds like a fantastic hardback coffee table book.
Old 7th May 2023, 09:15 AM
Cult Veteran

That's a funny coincidence, I've just recently watched the compilation film That's Carry On and was thinking about how lovely Barbara was in those films, her cheeky persona as much as her assets

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th May 2023, 02:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'll be picking up the CARRY ON GIRLS book for sure.

I stumbled across this book as well. I'll be picking this up soon. First movie I ever saw at the cinema.

1399014757.01.S001.LXXXXXXX.jpg

Released in 1969, the film Battle of Britain went on to become one of the most iconic war movies ever produced. The film drew many respected British actors to accept roles as key figures of the battle, including Sir Laurence Olivier as Hugh Dowding and Trevor Howard as Keith Park. It also starred Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer and Robert Shaw as squadron leaders. As well as its large all-star international cast, the film was notable for its spectacular flying sequences which were on a far grander scale than anything that had been seen on film before. At the time of its release, Battle of Britain was singled out for its efforts to portray the events of the summer of 1940 in great accuracy. To achieve this, Battle of Britain veterans such as Group Captain Tom Gleave, Wing Commander Robert Stanford Tuck, Wing Commander Douglas Bader, Squadron Leader Boles?aw Drobi?ski and Luftwaffe General Adolf Galland were all involved as consultants. This detailed description of the making of the film is supported by a mouth-watering selection of pictures that were taken during the production stages. The images cover not only the many vintage aircraft used in the film, but also the airfields, the actors, and even the merchandise which accompanied the film's release in 1969 - plus a whole lot more. There are numerous air-to-air shots of the Spitfires, Messerschmitts, Hurricanes and Heinkels that were brought together for the film. There are also images that capture the moment that Battle of Britain veterans, some of whom were acting as consultants, visited the sets. Interviews with people who worked on the film, such as Hamish Mahaddie, John Blake and Ron Goodwin, among others, bring the story to life.

Like this? Share it using the links below!