Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2012 10:18 PM

I have that book.

It doesn't have a dust cover. I think it was sold by Marks and Spencer at Christmas time back in the day.

Wes 2nd November 2012 05:29 PM

If anyone wants a peek inside the Paul Naschy book I put up a bunch of pics on the bloggie. I didn't want to post 'em here as they are slightly big...

First look at Muchas Gracia Senor Lobo

well just one so...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uYhUNScSd8...600/lobo10.jpg

Slippery Jack 8th November 2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 288895)
If anyone wants a peek inside the Paul Naschy book I put up a bunch of pics on the bloggie.

Cool. I was just thinking of getting this. The ebay seller is based in Germany - to you get hit with customs charges buying stuff within the EU :confused: The book's already expensive enough . . .

Wes 8th November 2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 290731)
Cool. I was just thinking of getting this. The ebay seller is based in Germany - to you get hit with customs charges buying stuff within the EU :confused: The book's already expensive enough . . .

I can only speak for Ireland, but I'm sure its the same for the UK - EU member states do not pay customs charges for transactions back and forth, so there will be no customs charge for a book coming from Germany.

Slippery Jack 8th November 2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 290734)
I can only speak for Ireland, but I'm sure its the same for the UK - EU member states do not pay customs charges for transactions back and forth, so there will be no customs charge for a book coming from Germany.

That's what I wanted to hear :woot:

I'll order this weekend when I've sold some ebay stuff to cover it.

Did you pre-order and get the mystery free gift btw . . . ?

bdc 8th November 2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 290731)

No customs charges within the EU (best to check which countries are members though).

Member states of the EU (so far).
(year of entry)

Austria (1995)
Belgium (1952)
Bulgaria (2007)
Cyprus (2004)
Czech Republic (2004)
Denmark (1973)
Estonia (2004)
Finland (1995)
France (1952)
Germany (1952)
Greece (1981)
Hungary (2004)
Ireland (1973)
Italy (1952)
Latvia (2004)
Lithuania (2004)
Luxembourg (1952)
Malta (2004)
Netherlands (1952)
Poland (2004)
Portugal (1986)
Romania (2007)
Slovakia (2004)
Slovenia (2004)
Spain (1986)
Sweden (1995)
United Kingdom (1973)

Wes 8th November 2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 290737)
That's what I wanted to hear :woot:

I'll order this weekend when I've sold some ebay stuff to cover it.

Did you pre-order and get the mystery free gift btw . . . ?

No free gift Jack but I was glad to get the book anyway, I'd say this will have a limited print run - this time next year, it will probably be on eBay for megabucks. It really is a stunning book and worth the price...

Slippery Jack 8th November 2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 290740)
No free gift Jack but I was glad to get the book anyway, I'd say this will have a limited print run - this time next year, it will probably be on eBay for megabucks. It really is a stunning book and worth the price...

Yeah I think it will overload my brain with poster inspiration :shocked: . . .

VicDakin 8th November 2012 08:59 PM

Behind the Scenes at the BBFC: Film Classification from the Silver Screen to the Digi

1 Attachment(s)
Behind the Scenes at the BBFC: Film Classification from the Silver Screen to the Digital Age.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet,could be intersting?

Attachment 89899

Quote:

Established by the film industry in 1912 as the nation's only official and independent classifier of the moving image, the British Board of Film Classification (originally the British Board of Film Censors) has long been a source of fascination -- and sometimes a bone of contention -- for filmgoers, filmmakers and industry figures. This new book, published in the BBFC's centenary year, addresses Britain's film classification history, and marks an unparalleled collaboration between the Board and leading film critics, historians and cultural commentators.

These writers, given unprecedented access to the BBFC's archives, chart the organisation's history alongside the cultural, social and political forces that have helped shape it. Together they explore shifting public attitudes towards cinema's portrayal of sex and drugs, horror and violence; the different perspectives of the Board's successive leaders; the impact of controversial decisions, and the ever-changing nature of moving image distribution and exhibition.

The book also features unique case studies, written by BBFC staff, focusing on significant films that have provoked debate and controversy both within the BBFC and more widely - Battleship Potemkin, The Snake Pit, A Clockwork Orange, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and many more.

Behind the Scenes at the BBFC: Film Classification from the Silver Screen to the Digital Age is an entertaining and invaluable insight into shifts in public attitudes over the last century, and how film classification shapes what we see on screen.

demonknight 8th November 2012 09:05 PM

Wes,where exactly did you pick up that Paul Naschy book?