Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Philleh 14th July 2008 03:59 PM

Shock! Horror! has a far bit of text, but it's about the art-work first and foremost. There is solid details regarding each release towards the back however.

I think it's a must-have for Cult fans.

herman 15th July 2008 01:09 AM

recommended:

spaghetti nightmares,which is for those who have not read it a book of career spanning interviews with fulci, deodato, argento, d'amato etc etc

and violent professional, the films of luciano rossi-loved this one and dip into this one frequently.

most should already know or have: the psychotronic video guide and the psychotronic encyclopedia, which are excellent b cinema guides.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 15th July 2008 12:09 PM

Just read (not very hard to do with this graphic novel) the 'Friday The 13th' graphic novel. Yeah - it's ok. Lots of blood and guts and tits and tits, but sooo stereotypcal. But hey, I guess none of the Friday13th films are known for being the most clever films. Also it's full of quite homophobic bits - which was stupid.

3/5

Sarah@Cult Labs 22nd August 2008 07:49 AM

In the middle of reading La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film by Mikel J. Koven. It's a bit of a text book, but an entertaining and informative read about all things giallo. He discusses a fair number of Shameless releases too which is always good!

Delirium 22nd August 2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahw1984 (Post 12561)
In the middle of reading La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film by Mikel J. Koven. It's a bit of a text book, but an entertaining and informative read about all things giallo. He discusses a fair number of Shameless releases too which is always good!

Oh, I was interested in that, Sarah. Recommended then?

Sarah@Cult Labs 22nd August 2008 01:54 PM

Definitely - I'm enjoying it at least! Like I said, it's a bit of an academic book but it's very readable and entertaining!

Delirium 23rd August 2008 03:56 PM

Excellent. One quick question, how spoiler heavy is it? I'm usually reluctant to read books like that, until I'm positive i've covered at least most of the very well known movies (which I have, so I'm not too worried). But I guess if it's quite academic, it discusses the endings in great detail?

Sarah@Cult Labs 24th August 2008 09:06 AM

It is pretty spoiler heavy I'm afraid. It does reveal the identity of several killers. Basically, it discusses individual elements of giallo cinema as a whole and uses individual films as examples so it has to use spoilers in a lot of cases. Koven assumes the reader has seen a lot of the more well-known films too, so there isn't any warning when spoilers do come up either

It's still an excellent read though.

vipco 27th August 2008 02:41 PM

That novel of ' The Ruin's ' I won was very slow to start, but it picked up in the 2nd half and turned out to be quite an enjoyable read.

Killing For Culture though is still one of the best film related book's i've read.

bedorca 29th August 2008 08:04 PM

Not strictly a film book but World War Z is a brilliant read logging survivor's viewpoints of the great Zombie world war.......fiction.......for now ;)

By Max Brooks.