Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1691Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2014, 09:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Ghouls, Gimmicks, and Gold: Horror Films and the American Movie Business, 1953-1968

0822332159.01.S001.LXXXXXXX.jpg1.jpg.jpg2.jpg
A great little book (abit pricey)which looks at the business end of the early exploitation films.

Quote:
"The Creature from the Black Lagoon", "The Tingler", "The Mole People" - they stalked and oozed into audiences' minds during the era that followed Boris Karloff's "Frankenstein" and preceded terrors like Freddy Krueger ("A Nightmare on Elm Street") and Chucky ("Child's Play"). "Ghouls, Gimmicks, and Gold" pulls off the masks and wipes away the slime to reveal how the monsters that frightened audiences in the 1950s and 1960s - and the movies they crawled and staggered through - reflected fundamental changes in the film industry. Providing the first economic history of the horror film, Kevin Heffernan shows how the production, distribution, and exhibition of horror movies changed as the studio era gave way to the conglomeration of New Hollywood. Heffernan argues that major cultural and economic shifts in the production and reception of the horror films began at the time of the 3-D film cycle of 1953-54 and ended with the adoption of the Motion Picture Association's ratings system and the subsequent development of the adult horror movie - epitomized by Rosemary's Baby - in 1968. He describes how this period presented a number of daunting challenges for movie exhibitors: the high costs of technological upgrade, competition with television, declining movie attendance, and a diminishing number of annual releases from the major movie studios. He explains that the production and distribution branches of the movie industry responded to these trends by cultivating a youth audience, co-producing features with the film industries of Europe and Asia, selling films to television, and intensifying representations of sex and violence. Shining through, "Ghouls, Gimmicks, and Gold" is the delight of the true horror movie buff, the fan thrilled to find "The She Creature" on television at 3 am.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:47 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Have you got this Ron? It's a great read/series of reviews that had me hooked on hotrod rumbles and catfights for a few years after reading it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008444.jpg (78.8 KB, 0 views)
reeceindie and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Have you got this Ron? It's a great read/series of reviews that had me hooked on hotrod rumbles and catfights for a few years after reading it.
Oh no that looks superb,I bet its OOP,and ill have to hit the docks again tonight to raise the money or sell my other kidney.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
Oh no that looks superb,I bet its OOP,and ill have to hit the docks again tonight to raise the money or sell my other kidney.
Dem has just got paid, you should be quids in.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Dem has just got paid, you should be quids in.
MEH last time someone said that I ended up unconscious face down with no pants and me wallet had been nicked.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
MEH last time someone said that I ended up unconscious face down with no pants and me wallet had been nicked.
A surprising number of people have rohypnolled themselves before having sex with Dem, were you one of them...some things are best forgotten.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
A surprising number of people have rohypnolled themselves before having sex with Dem, were you one of them...some things are best forgotten.
And he's a poor tipper..........
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Currently reading The Lost World of Cliff Twemlow, the biography of the director of GBH and other VHS 'classics', which is a great read. Twemlow comes across as a true original and someone who would chance his arm at pretty much anything ... plus anyone who can compose over 2000 songs just by humming them (and without knowing how to play an instrument) gets my respect . Also, as a Mancunian, it's interesting to read about the bygone age of Manchester's 'clubland', where much of Twemlow's filming took place.

Only problem is, it makes me want to watch all the films covered in the book, none of which (to my knowledge) have had a commercial release on DVD.
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
And he's a poor tipper..........
I'm bloody not.

The 2:15 at York came through for me, as did the 3:50 at Haydock.
Old 4th September 2014, 09:33 AM
Cult Master

This is bad news

'Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide' to Cease Publication | Criticwire

Leonard Maltin's 'Movie Guide' says goodbye - CNN.com

Leonard Maltin's book has been part of my life, since I got the 1977 edition for my birthday

Every year I would get the latest copy, and spend the best part of a month going thru it, ticking off the titles I had seen!

It's still an essential reference guide for me, taking pride of place next to the television
shel likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!