Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree1691Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2017, 01:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
i didn't know until this week that the hardback edition of American Gothic has an extra 110 pages. i was always going to upgrade but now i'm going to make sure its on the reading pile straight after xmas
Old 9th February 2018, 07:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'm currently reading Jonathan Sothcott's (Yes that Jonathan Sothcott - Brit trash producer auteur and bud of Sir Daniel of Dyer) - The Cult Films of Christopher Lee.

In comparison to the last film book i finished last weekend, Jonathan Rigby's Euro Gothic, Sothcott's prose feels like reading a Mister Men book.

It's certainly an easy read and rather enjoyable, in fact my only complaint is that the numerous colour plates are not captioned. That's fair enough as i am familiar with all the films discussed in the book but others without my years of reading and watching may not be so enlightened. However that's my only grumble so far, that and perhaps the design and layout which smacks of indie publishers.

There are one or two things i have learned such as Terence Fisher disliked The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll as much as i did, although Sothcott seemed to enjoy it a hell of a lot more than myself and the director.

Eagle eyed folk may notice Roger Moore was but a CBE when this book was published in 2000.

That isn't my shadow on the Horror Express still by the way. It's part of the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5242 (Large).jpg (91.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5245 (Large).jpg (90.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5243 (Large).jpg (93.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 9th February 2018, 09:59 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm currently reading Jonathan Sothcott's (Yes that Jonathan Sothcott - Brit trash producer auteur and bud of Sir Daniel of Dyer) - The Cult Films of Christopher Lee.

In comparison to the last film book i finished last weekend, Jonathan Rigby's Euro Gothic, Sothcott's prose feels like reading a Mister Men book.

It's certainly an easy read and rather enjoyable, in fact my only complaint is that the numerous colour plates are not captioned. That's fair enough as i am familiar with all the films discussed in the book but others without my years of reading and watching may not be so enlightened. However that's my only grumble so far, that and perhaps the design and layout which smacks of indie publishers.

There are one or two things i have learned such as Terence Fisher disliked The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll as much as i did, although Sothcott seemed to enjoy it a hell of a lot more than myself and the director.

Eagle eyed folk may notice Roger Moore was but a CBE when this book was published in 2000.

That isn't my shadow on the Horror Express still by the way. It's part of the photo.

Jonathan’s a top bloke. May have to seek that book out and give it a read sometime.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th February 2018, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Jonathan’s a top bloke. May have to seek that book out and give it a read sometime.
He suggests Hammer's Dracula might well be 'the greatest horror film ever made'.

I agree with him there.

I like that he puts his own thoughts into the films which some similar authors don't always do.

I'm enjoying it, not sure why it's taken me 18 years to get round to reading it.
Old 10th February 2018, 12:59 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Of course it's part of the photo. Everyone here knows you don't cast a shadow

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th February 2018, 06:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Jonathan Sothcott has hit a new low in his book on Christopher Lee.

He says of The Devil Rides Out.
Quote:
The Devil Rides Out is today regarded by the public as one of Hammer's best films, which it most certainly is not.

There are two basic problems with this film - first and foremost, the script, second, the cast.
It's not a joke either. He then goes on to dissect the film and finally claims Wheatley's novel is one of the "Very best horror stories ever written"
Old 13th February 2018, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Seriously? I couldn’t finish the novel last time I tried reading it, bored the crap out of me! And, the film is definitely one of Hammers best non Dracula/Frankenstein films, he clearly knows bugger all
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th February 2018, 07:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I have to seek out this book Dem. Must say I agree the novel is fantastic although disagree the film is one of the weakest, its one if their best in my eyes.
Old 13th February 2018, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just picked it up for £8 inc postage off ebay. Decent condition also. Surprised I have not seen this one before. I have a tendency to buy any books on Lee, Cushing, Price etc.
Old 13th February 2018, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Whilst I am on the film books thread, I backed a book all about the Scala Cinema on Indiegogo....https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...press-london#/

xjhhadbqcux61dkznmg1.jpg

..from the page.....

A million people went through the doors of London's Scala cinema between June 1978-June 1993. Were you one of them? 2018 marks the 40th anniversary of the first Scala programme and 25 years since the cinema's closure. It’s time to tell the Scala’s story, what was on the screen and what happened behind the scenes at the world's greatest independent cinema during that turbulent time. A one-off, this incomparable book features for the first time the complete set of Scala programmes, and more.

I have to say I am no aficionado when it comes to this cinema and its history but do know it showed a lot of cult films over the years. Should be interesting to see the programmes, which are all contained, to see what they showed.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!