Like Tree1691Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2010, 07:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Jeez!

Better off with DVD Delirium 4 mate-mine arrived the other day-excellent as usual!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th December 2010, 07:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipsmovies View Post
Picked up the worst 'film book' I have ever read this week. Its called '150 Movies You Should Die Before You See', and I think it got published about 2 weeks ago.

It really is a shocker. I picked it up primarily due to the great title, and thought it would be full of some really awful exerpts of film history. To my astonishment it contains some of my favourite movies of all time - all written off by the author as 'awful movies'

I give you...

Deep Red !
Suspiria !
Cemetery Man !
Braindead !
Bad Taste !
Re-Animator !

...and that's only a few.

Here's the book
What a traversty, he should be sued!!
Old 13th December 2010, 01:26 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Does anybody on this forum have a book called Offensive Films? It's written by Mikita Brottman and looks like this...

It looks like the perfect book for an essay I'm writing, though the library here doesn't even have it and it's too late to order.
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:42 AM
Cultist
Good Trader

Currently reading Trash or Treasure by Kate Egan. Excellent book on censorship and the fan culture surrounding video nasties, though sadly seems to be really hard to get hold of for under £40 (luckily got it via inter library loans service at my university).

Also just finished reading Seduction Of The Gullible, which was a very enjoyable read
Trash Aesthetics has some interesting stuff on the appeal of exploitation cinema, although not read it cover to cover. I'm reading too many film books at the moment for my studies!
Old 11th April 2011, 08:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ordered DVD DELIRIUM Vol 2 REDUX from FAB Press (along with the latest issue of CINEMA SEWER) and won DAVID WARBECK - THE MAN AND HIS MOVIES on ebay.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default ah, that book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
What a traversty, he should be sued!!
didnt they also put out a 150 records/books etc as well... i tend to avoid them, as there usually "written" by no nothing hacks AHEM. speaking of which one to flick through if only because it features THE GREAT SILENCE is Jennifer Eiss' 500 Essential Cult Movies, though she professes to be a horror fan this section is woefully all over the place...BLACK SHEEP? CHILDS PLAY? GOTHIC? though to be fair she "bigs up" Cemetry Man at least....
Old 14th April 2011, 01:35 PM
Cultist in Training

I got DVD DELIRIUM Vol 2 REDUX and it is a good little read too...
Old 14th April 2011, 02:12 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Does anybody on this forum have a book called Offensive Films? It's written by Mikita Brottman and looks like this...

It looks like the perfect book for an essay I'm writing, though the library here doesn't even have it and it's too late to order.

Have you heard about the SCONUL scheme? You might be able to get the book from another Uni's library

There's a couple of copies of that book in the Brunel library, it's OK, I'm using it for an analysis of Cannibal Holocaust that I'm writing for my dissertation but what she writes about the film has been disputed by other writers. She talks about social breakdown and the removal of the "give and take" culture.

It has chapters about The Tingler, Blood Feast, Snuff, Texas Chainsaw, and something she calls "Neo-Mondo".

Her chapter on Cannibal Holocaust is quite a useful quote mine, but I don't think I completely agree with her argument. I haven't read any of the book's other chapters.

She's also written an essay on David Cronenberg's Crash and the Fading of the West (Literature Film Quarterly, 2002).

I just put in an order for:

Anyone read it?
Old 15th April 2011, 09:36 AM
Cultist
Good Trader

I have just put in an inter-library loans request for Mikita Brockman's 'Offensive Films'

Also recently purchased;

The Official Splatter Movie Guide by John McCarty
Sweet & Savage: The world through the shockumentary film lens by Mark Goodall Meat is Murder!: Illustrated Guide to Cannibal Culture - Mikita Brottman
Old 16th April 2011, 09:51 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazon2709 View Post
I got DVD DELIRIUM Vol 2 REDUX and it is a good little read too...
I've had my copy for about three weeks and still haven't opened it yet!

No doubt another fine FAB Press release, though so not to worry and it'll give me something to read over the Easter hols alongside the latest Creepy Images volume.

Like this? Share it using the links below!