Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree1691Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2015, 06:28 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Me too - it doesn't help that Amazon don't have it listed with a release date and caption it with the ever-so-helpful "Usually dispatched within 2 to 3 weeks".
For some reason it seems to happen a lot with books, unlike with DVDs/BDs, where the release date is updated. Strange Attractor has it announced for May 16th, but Amazon simply changed it to that vague ''2-3 weeks''.
Maybe it has to do with book labels working in different ways, no idea...
Old 12th April 2015, 05:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Read a book on Jean Claude Van Damme film, it's reviews on his films from No Retreat, No Surrender through to the recent Six Bullets

I also joined Goodreads
Old 10th May 2015, 10:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Blaxploitation Cinema: The Essential Reference Guide

I do love a good refernce book,arrived all the way from the amazon.

71DI4rxhT0S.jpg

Old 10th May 2015, 10:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've just finished Cinema Italiano and here is my review.

I have always wanted to read this from when I first saw the book on Amazon as I am a film fan and have lots of titles on DVD & Blu-Ray. The book centres on the Italian film markey which I am sure a few of you have seen a few of these under the English / American names. Cinema Italiano covers everything you want to know and then some.

Ranging from the Peplum genre of Hercules and Hercules Unchained (both starring Steve Reeves) to the more Italian popular Maciste films (retitled Hercules for us English speaking viewers). Then Cinema Italiano talks about the Spaghetti Western genre, which shot to popularity with the Clint Eastwood classic A Fistful Of Dollars. The books goes into great detail about the genre that includes the Italian popular Django series, The Great Silence through to the lesser known Sartana, Trinity and Once Upon A Time In The West.

There is too much to talk about as every genre from the 50's through to the 80's is written about. These include War (Inglorious Bastards), Drama (La Notte), Peplum (Goliath And The Dragon), through to Horror (Black Sunday), Giallo (New York Ripper) etc.

Cinema Italiano also features in it's pages talk of the directors such as Lucio Fulci and why he was considered a hack through to Dario Argento and why everyone loved his films, Mario Bava and his early horror films through to his later films like A Bay Of Blood. Then there are the stars such as Franco Nero, Fabio Testi and Gian Garko to name a few. So if you are into Italian Cinema then I would check this book out.
Old 10th May 2015, 10:50 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
I've just finished Cinema Italiano and here is my review.
It sounds like an enjoyable and informative read, so I'll add it to my Amazon wish list perhaps for some summer reading. Thanks!
Old 10th May 2015, 10:53 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just looked on Amazon and noticed the author, Howard Hughes, is the guy who wrote the booklets for Blood and Black Lace and Day of Anger for Arrow Video and, because I thought they were both very good, will keep it in my basket for the time being.
Old 10th May 2015, 10:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've just looked on Amazon and noticed the author, Howard Hughes, is the guy who wrote the booklets for Blood and Black Lace and Day of Anger for Arrow Video and, because I thought they were both very good, will keep it in my basket for the time being.
The Italian names get a bit too much at some points - mainly when describing who's who but other then that it's really good. Comedy is spoke about too and the team up of Bud Spencer and Terrance Hill.
Old 23rd May 2015, 06:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default im free

Look at all the episodes on its 25th anniversary and also the film.

CaptCaptain Peacock: Mr. Humphries, are you free?
Mr. Humphries: As a bird
Captain Peacock:Then flutter over here.

Snapshot_20150523_1.JPG
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 23rd May 2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 25th May 2015, 06:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

BOND ON BOND - ROGER MOORE

I am a huge James Bond fan (Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnon are my faves). When I saw this being offered as part of the Kindle Unlimited sub I couldn't say no to a read, and what a read it is - the book goes through everything, from novel to film, each actor who played Bond and Moore's thoughts on the actors.

He talks about M, Q and what they were like as a person and winding up Desmond Llewellyn on set, ultimately this is a picture book and there are photos aplenty, of gadgets, guns, actors, poster stills along with personal photos of gifts Roger has received by playing the part.

There are two problems I found throughout the book

1) Moore refers to James Bond as Jimmy Bond, which was funny to begin with but then started to grate after a while.

2) Roger tries intercept some comedy in here with what he thinks is funny comments, yet I found it rather dry and sarcastic.

Other then that, Bond fans will find plenty to enjoy in this book.
Old 25th May 2015, 06:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
BOND ON BOND - ROGER MOORE
The Works sell the hardback for £6 you know.

Like this? Share it using the links below!