Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree1691Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2022, 05:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Another one just come out..

Old 8th December 2022, 07:24 PM
Cult Master

Not one I've got, but rather a 'coming soon' title...

'Corman / Poe: Interviews and Essays Exploring the Making of Roger Corman's Edgar Allan Poe Films, 1960-1964' - Paperback pre-order available from Amazon UK - £23:63

Release date: June 6

"THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER, THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM, PREMATURE BURIAL, TALES OF TERROR, THE HAUNTED PALACE, THE RAVEN, MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, THE TOMB OF LIGEIA...

Produced on modest budgets for American International Pictures, Roger Corman's adaptations of Edgar Allan Poe stories were popular in their time as escapist horror cinema. Most starred horror icon Vincent Price and were written (and freely adapted) by the likes of Richard Matheson, Charles Beaumont and Robert Towne. Today the series is recognized as unique and sophisticated, one that delivers decadent Gothic chills while exploring ideas of faith, sexuality, psychology and the supernatural.

CORMAN / POE: Interviews and Essays Exploring the Making of Roger Corman's Edgar Allan Poe Films, 1960-1964 is the only book to fully examine this important chapter in horror film history. In-depth conversations with the maverick Roger Corman are book-ended by engaging critical analyses of each of the eight films, which together stand as a fully realized and consistent creative vision.

The book is illustrated with dozens of photographs and stills, many of which have never been published before, and features a brand-new foreword from Corman. "

MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th January 2023, 07:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Been dipping in and out of Stephen Jones Illustrated Frankenstein Movie Guide from 1994 today.

Some of his scores are quite surprisingly low such as 2/5 for Frankenstein Created Woman and 2.5/5 for Doctor Who The Brain of Morbius.

Then you think about it. The book is thirty years old. Access to titles is so much easier now. Being able to re-evaluate films on dvd and Blu-ray i'm sure his scores would have risen dramatically.

Still a good book mind you with hundreds of titles getting reviews.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0472 (Medium).jpg (90.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 17th January 2023, 11:22 PM
Cult Addict

I have that book and the Vampire version by Stephen Jones, any of these overview review books I tend to take with a pinch of salt, ever since growing up with Alan Franks Horror film book i make my own mind up, the amount of films he was stuffy about that i love is inconceivable.

inconceivable.jpeg

71Txtw0gWSL.jpg

Still those Jones books feature quite a few obscure titles listed so always worth a gander and any kind of review will be based upon the reviewers personal taste.

I think that guy did dinosaur and werewolf books too.
MrBarlow likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 18th January 2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old 17th January 2023, 11:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Been dipping in and out of Stephen Jones Illustrated Frankenstein Movie Guide from 1994 today.

Some of his scores are quite surprisingly low such as 2/5 for Frankenstein Created Woman and 2.5/5 for Doctor Who The Brain of Morbius.

Then you think about it. The book is thirty years old. Access to titles is so much easier now. Being able to re-evaluate films on dvd and Blu-ray i'm sure his scores would have risen dramatically.

Still a good book mind you with hundreds of titles getting reviews.
I like the picture of the book nestled amongst the Frankenstein films, two opposable stitched on thumbs up.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 18th January 2023 at 12:32 AM.
Old 18th January 2023, 08:48 AM
Cult Addict

Thought so, these are the other books in the series.

2391050.jpeg

1852866586.jpeg

download (64).jpeg

Old 18th January 2023, 11:36 AM
Cult Veteran

I instantly recognised that Vampire one, do I have a copy? Did I used to have a copy??? Will have to investigate but I’m meant to be working right now haha

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th January 2023, 11:46 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I have that book and the Vampire version by Stephen Jones, any of these overview review books I tend to take with a pinch of salt, ever since growing up with Alan Franks Horror film book i make my own mind up, the amount of films he was stuffy about that i love is inconceivable.

Still those Jones books feature quite a few obscure titles listed so always worth a gander and any kind of review will be based upon the reviewers personal taste.
That's what i was saying though. The book and his reviews are thirty years old. How many of the films reviewed would he have actually seen in the making of the book? Not many i'd suggest.

It's not like he could watch some obscure film on Youtube, or buy the Indicator box set, so much will be based on memory or the memories of those he spoke to who are thanked at the beginning.

He's way more hands on now in the horror film genre. Back then he was a book editor and that's about it. Since dvd took hold - 8-10 years after this book - he's been involved in numerous documentaries and commentaries as dvd extras so his thoughts will have changed as ours do the more familiar we get with these films.

For example, my thoughts on The Shining have changed dramatically over the years but they wouldn't had i just seen it once on tv in the 80's.
Old 18th January 2023, 01:29 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I instantly recognised that Vampire one, do I have a copy? Did I used to have a copy??? Will have to investigate but I’m meant to be working right now haha
It's coming back to me, I'm pretty sure that I loaned it from the Library!
(yes people still do that...)
nosferatu42 likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th January 2023, 04:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Here's an interview with Stephen Jones but it focuses mainly on his horror fiction / editing career.

https://www.thehorrorzine.com/Specia...phenJones.html

It does state that he fell in love with horror in the 1960s and has been writing about it since the early 1970s

I'm pretty sure I saw his byline in Hammer House of Horror magazine and early editions of Starburst.

I remember he once told an anecdote about when he was told to '**** off' (or similar) by Riccardo Freda at a film festival so he has been around quite a while.

Like this? Share it using the links below!