Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th April 2008 07:22 PM

The Film Books Thread

Came accross TERROR ON TAPE on amazon,second hand-over 2000 films reviewed!Even has Bloodbath at the house of death..........
also picked up BFI 100 EUROPEAN HORROR FILMS......small,but has CRACKING in depth reviews for some of our favourite flicks!
What movie books (if any) are you all flickering through at the mo?

vipco 13th April 2008 12:28 AM

I got Terror on Tape, quite good but if you want a real good read then 'Killing For Culture' is a must. Got a copy when it 1st came out and I would still read it now.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th April 2008 03:46 PM

Of course,anyone who's interested in the video nasty era should buy Mr Morris and company's SHOCK HORROR!,for me it's the definitive book on the outlaw years,I've read it umpteen times!;)

Angel 13th April 2008 08:37 PM

Art of the Nasty is excellent.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th April 2008 08:47 PM

Nigel Wingrove and Marc Morris,that one wasn't it?......Is it not hard to come by now angel?......I remember trying to find it in bookstores,as I was going to use the artwork from the book to make covers for all the video nasty copies that i had,which were not available on vhs in the uk.........

Sarah@Cult Labs 13th April 2008 10:23 PM

The Book of the Dead by Jamie Russell is a pretty ace book on zombie films - and has some really cool photo inserts of amazing artwork! It's one of my favourite film books ever. It's a complete history of zombie films and a filmography. And there's so many pretty pictures!

vipco 13th April 2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 2538)
Of course,anyone who's interested in the video nasty era should buy Mr Morris and company's SHOCK HORROR!,for me it's the definitive book on the outlaw years,I've read it umpteen times!;)

Totally agree Reaper. I have it to, excellent stuff.

Angel 14th April 2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 2548)
Nigel Wingrove and Marc Morris,that one wasn't it?......Is it not hard to come by now angel?......I remember trying to find it in bookstores,as I was going to use the artwork from the book to make covers for all the video nasty copies that i had,which were not available on vhs in the uk.........

Yes I would imagine it would be very hard to find now. I bought it when it was originally released.

The Seduction of the Gullible is another great read.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th April 2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahw1984 (Post 2555)
The Book of the Dead by Jamie Russell is a pretty ace book on zombie films - and has some really cool photo inserts of amazing artwork! It's one of my favourite film books ever. It's a complete history of zombie films and a filmography. And there's so many pretty pictures!

The DEFINITIVE zombie movie guide Sarah,put simply,pure excellence.....:coolblue:

Sarah@Cult Labs 14th April 2008 05:53 PM

I love it - could just read it over and over again! So many zombie guides are just filmographies so the fact that this one gives a detailed history as well as a filmography makes it well worth the money. And some of the artwork it displays is pretty rare which is always good!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th April 2008 06:23 PM

That mad nazi zombie on the run......Devil's something looks like a riot!

Delirium 14th April 2008 08:26 PM

For me, my favourite resource book has to be Adrian Luther Smith's Blood & Black Lace - and indispensable guide to Gialli.

bedorca 14th April 2008 08:36 PM

My current favourites are

Beyond Terror : The Films Of Lucio Fulci self explanatory
Art Of Darkness : The Cinema of Dario Argento self explanatory
and See No Evil The definitive booK on video nasties IMO.

Midnight Media also produced some fantastic genre books covering all aspects of the horror genre http://www.midnight-media.demon.co.uk/

Delirium 14th April 2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedorca (Post 2609)
My current favourites are

Beyond Terror : The Films Of Lucio Fulci self explanatory
Art Of Darkness : The Cinema of Dario Argento self explanatory
and See No Evil The definitive booK on video nasties IMO.

Good call, I got all 3 of those. Beyond Terror is just superb!

Sarah@Cult Labs 23rd June 2008 05:17 PM

Just started re-reading Danse Macabre by Stephen King. Although it focuses mostly on pre-1991 American horror it's still a great read and a great source of info on horror in American literature, film, television and radio.

He cracks a couple of good jokes too!

dougal 23rd June 2008 07:17 PM

I'm reading Eaten Alive - The History of Italian Zombie and Cannibal Films by Jay Slater. A highly entertaining read!

bedorca 24th June 2008 07:12 AM

I'm reading Gospel of the Living Dead, a really high brow, philosophical book on George A Romero's zombie flicks!!

And no I'm not being sarcastic!!! :cool:

Sarah@Cult Labs 24th June 2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedorca (Post 8771)
I'm reading Gospel of the Living Dead, a really high brow, philosophical book on George A Romero's zombie flicks!!

And no I'm not being sarcastic!!! :cool:

I was going to get that a while back as I wrote an essay on Day of the Dead but I held off cos I was writing about the feminism aspect and the book seemed to be all about religion. Is it a good read? I might get hold of a copy anyway.

bedorca 24th June 2008 10:08 PM

Very entertaining. Fascinating analysis of the messages George is trying to get across

Heartily recommended! :)

Sarah@Cult Labs 25th June 2008 07:13 AM

I might get that for a summer holiday read then! Thanks! :D

Paul@TheOverlook 25th June 2008 02:47 PM

I read a lot of books about film ? am particularly of the tomes that chronicle disastrous productions. Almost finished reading 'The Devil's Candy', which is a first-hand account of the making of Brian de Palma's BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES ? it's a really cracking read and highly recommended.

I also read Christopher Frayling's Sergio Leone biography, 'Something To Do With Death' and would thoroughly recommend that too.

mark meakin 4th July 2008 03:14 PM

I highly recommend this book for fans of the Blaxploitation genre.Lots of stills & original posters :-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaxploitati...5184362&sr=8-2

vipco 5th July 2008 01:08 AM

I have a collection of film and film related reference / information books but i've yet to read a horror novel.
I thought i'd start with something by Stephen King , Clive Barker or Shaun Hutson.
Can anyone recommend anything ?
As you can see from the time of this post i'm not that great a sleeper, so i'd love a good piece of horror fiction to pass the time till I nod off.
Thanks.

dougal 5th July 2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 9218)
I have a collection of film and film related reference / information books but i've yet to read a horror novel.
I thought i'd start with something by Stephen King , Clive Barker or Shaun Hutson.
Can anyone recommend anything ?

Go for the early works of Stephen King. Salems Lot, The Shining, Carrie etc. All brilliant reads.

mark meakin 5th July 2008 02:18 PM

I would recommend the early Stephen King books highly too.I also like the early James Herbert books like The Rats & The Fog.

vipco 5th July 2008 02:55 PM

Thank you both for the recommendations, thats what i'll go for then.
I'll pick up one of the early King books and one of the Herbert books as well.
Cheers guy's.

dougal 5th July 2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 9236)
Thank you both for the recommendations, thats what i'll go for then.
I'll pick up one of the early King books and one of the Herbert books as well.
Cheers guy's.

Depends on what you're after - Kings are the great American novel, lots of deep characterisation and wonderfully evocative situations. Herbert's are more 'splatter' style - lots of gory set pieces. Of his I'd certainly recommend The Fog and The Rats

vipco 5th July 2008 03:32 PM

I think i'll get Salems Lot and The Fog. Theres a bookstore quite close to were I live definitely has those 2 titles as I noticed them when I was collecting my games magazines , so i'll go there on Monday.
Thanks again for your help.

I've been looking for the novels from the TV series 'Dark Angel' but can't seem to find any of them anywhere, even Forbidden Planet didn't have them, so I thought i'd give horror fiction a try as i've never read a horror novel before.
I think the way you describe Kings work would be more to my taste.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th July 2008 08:28 PM

Any of you folks happen to be up in Scotland and happen to be in the Dumfries and Galloway area,then you MUST visit WIGTOWN.
Known as Scotland's book town,I picked up mint condition copies of:
DVD DELIRIUM VOL 1 & 2
FLESH AND BLOOD COMPENDIUM
HORROR MOVIES HARDBACK ALAN FRANK 1977
HORROR MOVIES A ROUGH GUIDE
SEE NO EVIL-BANNED MOVIES AND VIDEO NASTIES
all for the fantastic price of 35 quid!
I shit you not folks;)
It's the shop that's advertised as Scotland's largest bookshop.....:cool:

bedorca 6th July 2008 07:20 AM

Wow Reaps. Are they online?

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 6th July 2008 11:01 AM

Hello!

Jamie Russel's 'Book Of The Dead' is absolutly BRILLIANT, as you've said already. My fav book ever!

What is 'Shock! Horror!' like? Is it just pictures or does it have lots to read like 'Book Of The Dead'?

Also 'Beyond Terror: The Films Of Lucio Fulci' does look amazing too. But I looked on amazon.co.uk and it's selling for 150pounds!

threshzombie 6th July 2008 11:28 AM

Hi Guys,

Book of the Dead is excellent! Would also recommend Beyond Terror.

Currently reading Art of Darkness and have Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z in the pile!

Anyone read these yet?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th July 2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedorca (Post 9270)
Wow Reaps. Are they online?

Don't know mate:o....try putting WIGTOWN Book town into a search engine mate......

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th July 2008 05:22 PM

Here you go mate......;) www.the-bookshop.com :)

vipco 7th July 2008 02:03 PM

I just got a parcel this morning from Head Stream with a note to congratulate me on winning the novel 'The Ruins' in The Realm of Horror competition i'd entered, so i'll be reading that.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 11th July 2008 01:36 PM

I just bought the 'Friday The 13th Vol. 1' graphic novel. Looks good from what I've seen :)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 14th July 2008 12:21 PM

Can someone answer this question please. How much actual text/writting does "Shock! Horror!" have? From what I've heard most of it is just posters of the video nasties and just a bit of text at the 2nd half of the book.

btw - does anyone on here use dvdspot.com ?

Philleh 14th July 2008 12:31 PM

FAB Press are releasing Behind the Pink Curtain soon - that's essential reading for any fan of Japanese Sinema!!

Then, lord willing, a book I help contribute to will get picked up for distribution and you can all read that!! it?s called filmBRAWL and it covers pretty much everything cult! :)

It looks a little somethin' like this!
http://www.wildsidecinema.com/blog/fm08.jpg

:popcorn:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 14th July 2008 01:01 PM

ohlala! that looks great! I would probably buy it :)

dougal 14th July 2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 9756)
Can someone answer this question please. How much actual text/writting does "Shock! Horror!" have? From what I've heard most of it is just posters of the video nasties and just a bit of text at the 2nd half of the book.

I've not bought it yet but had a quick flick through it the other day in Waterstones and it's about half and half from what I saw. First half is video covers, the second is a film by film guide to the nasties.