LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2017, 01:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I enjoy them both for different reasons! They're both really good

I like them both too, Kubrick's version is the better film obviously, but the TV version is by far the better adaptation.

Back to IT, SK has seen a rough cut of the new film and assures us that we won't be disappointed, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it in September
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th March 2017, 01:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I like them both too, Kubrick's version is the better film obviously, but the TV version is by far the better adaptation.
I'm not convinced being the better adaptation is necessarily a good thing when it comes to Stephen King. The novel has some great stuff but it doesn't half drag at times. Falling foul of Kings usual insistence on killing the pace every time it starts to get going by shoving in another 40 pages of flashback exposition bollocks. That's what I love about James Herbert. The guy could achieve in ten pages what takes King a hundred.
Old 7th March 2017, 02:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm not convinced being the better adaptation is necessarily a good thing when it comes to Stephen King. The novel has some great stuff but it doesn't half drag at times. Falling foul of Kings usual insistence on killing the pace every time it starts to get going by shoving in another 40 pages of flashback exposition bollocks. That's what I love about James Herbert. The guy could achieve in ten pages what takes King a hundred.
Except Ash which spends 100 pages sat in some plane seats.
Old 7th March 2017, 02:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I haven't read Ash yet, I really enjoyed his other "Ash" books, so you've just reminded me that I need to pick up a copy of Ash
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th March 2017, 02:09 PM
Cult Veteran

I actually found The Shining to be a really snappy book to read and that the flashbacks were very important to the story It sheds light on all sorts of things, Alcohol, Roque Mallets, Danny's voices, Oranges..

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th March 2017, 02:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Quote:
I haven't read Ash yet, I really enjoyed his other "Ash" books, so you've just reminded me that I need to pick up a copy of Ash
I picked a nice Hardback copy of Ash up in a charity shop a year or so back. Not got round to reading it yet though.
Old 7th March 2017, 02:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I actually found The Shining to be a really snappy book to read and that the flashbacks were very important to the story It sheds light on all sorts of things, Alcohol, Roque Mallets, Danny's voices, Oranges..
I thought you said "rogue mullets" at first.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th March 2017, 02:58 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I thought you said "rogue mullets" at first.
Eugene on The Walking Dead has a rogue mullet The Saviors even suggested he gets a hair cut last week
Rik and nosferatu42 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th April 2017, 11:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just finished reading Stephen King's IT (fancied reading it again with all the hype around at the minute for the new film, and Justin's posts about the audiobook).
Still one of my favourite books by SK, along with Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot and The Stand
Old 15th April 2017, 11:49 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Just finished reading Stephen King's IT (fancied reading it again with all the hype around at the minute for the new film, and Justin's posts about the audiobook).
Still one of my favourite books by SK, along with Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot and The Stand
I have an Audible credit and don't know what to buy. At the moment, I have narrowed it down to a Stephen King book, either IT or The Stand, The Godfather (read by Joe Mantegna) or The Exorcist (read by William Peter Blatty), but might browse some newer titles as well.

Any opinions?
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!