Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2017, 12:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I have an Audible credit and don't know what to buy. At the moment, I have narrowed it down to a Stephen King book, either IT or The Stand, The Godfather (read by Joe Mantegna) or The Exorcist (read by William Peter Blatty), but might browse some newer titles as well.

Any opinions?
I would say IT is definitely value for money at 44+ hours. Not mentioned on your list but the reading of Neil Gaiman's American Gods is really good. and The Shining is read really well too.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th April 2017, 12:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I would say IT is definitely value for money at 44+ hours. Not mentioned on your list but the reading of Neil Gaiman's American Gods is really good. and The Shining is read really well too.
I'll keep those in mind. Complicating matters is the Easter sale, where most titles are 40% cheaper than usual, so The Stand is down to £10.39, IT is £15.59, and The Shining is £9.87. As such, I'm more tempted to buy one and keep the credit for when the prices have gone back to usual!
Justin101 likes this.
Old 12th May 2017, 02:41 PM
Ex-member

Just finished reading Strangers, now starting Hideaway both books by Dean Koontz. Its been about 10-15 years since I read either.
Demoncrat and bleakshaun like this.
Old 12th May 2017, 02:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWindows View Post
Just finished reading Strangers, now starting Hideaway both books by Dean Koontz. Its been about 10-15 years since I read either.
it's been years since i read hideaway.
LaughingWindows likes this.
Old 28th June 2017, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brett Callwood The Stooges

Whilst I have a problem fundamentally with a tome about this band where the scribe mishears lyrics and prints such
Journalists eh?
As much as a cut & paste job as the Alex Harvey one I piggybacked this with, it does at least 'flesh out' the mercurial bassist Dave Alexander .... to an extent.

Have at least dug out that dvd with one of the first 'reunion' shows ( Alexander passed in 75, so was replaced by Mike Watt from Minutemen/Firehose)

I don't know if I care to read his MC5 one ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th July 2017, 10:04 PM
Cult Addict

Operation Werewolf: The Complete Transmissions by Paul Waggener

Operation Werewolf is a loose collection of individuals who have formed a tribe to fight against the modern world. It is a mixture of Germanic mysticism, body building for strength not look, animal blood sacrifices in the woods and martial arts, all dressed up in biker gang looks.

This book is a series of essays that come on like a rabid self help manual for badasses. Going completely against modern thought, it emphasises the group over the individual and has a view that could be classed as fascist within and of itself.

There is no denying the sincerity of the project and it's members to their beliefs that look crazy from an outside point of view but from a magickial poetic view these views are rather sound and oddly heroic.

The Way of Men by Jack Donovan

Donovan is my new favourite writer, a gay man who does not believe in gayness, a believer in tribalism, Norse Gods, violence and what it is to be a man. This book is like a blue print for old school masculinity completely rejecting modernism and presents ideas of a malecentric gang mentality as it discusses how to be good at being a man and a good man.

As with Operation Werewolf there is a romantic vision underlying the work and like OW, Donovan has moved out into the woods to make his vision a reality away from the world.

Both writers fall under the Alt Right end of the political spectrum but there is something more going on here than the usual right wing end of heathenism that is nothing more than the Klan dressed as Vikings. There are no politics in these books but the will to power on display in such a primal form will cast the writers as eternal outsiders in the occult world that has become rather soft if late.

Right I am off now to strip naked, smear myself with blood and dirt and howl at the moon.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Operation Werewolf: The Complete Transmissions by Paul Waggener

Operation Werewolf is a loose collection of individuals who have formed a tribe to fight against the modern world. It is a mixture of Germanic mysticism, body building for strength not look, animal blood sacrifices in the woods and martial arts, all dressed up in biker gang looks.

This book is a series of essays that come on like a rabid self help manual for badasses. Going completely against modern thought, it emphasises the group over the individual and has a view that could be classed as fascist within and of itself.

There is no denying the sincerity of the project and it's members to their beliefs that look crazy from an outside point of view but from a magickial poetic view these views are rather sound and oddly heroic.

The Way of Men by Jack Donovan

Donovan is my new favourite writer, a gay man who does not believe in gayness, a believer in tribalism, Norse Gods, violence and what it is to be a man. This book is like a blue print for old school masculinity completely rejecting modernism and presents ideas of a malecentric gang mentality as it discusses how to be good at being a man and a good man.

As with Operation Werewolf there is a romantic vision underlying the work and like OW, Donovan has moved out into the woods to make his vision a reality away from the world.

Both writers fall under the Alt Right end of the political spectrum but there is something more going on here than the usual right wing end of heathenism that is nothing more than the Klan dressed as Vikings. There are no politics in these books but the will to power on display in such a primal form will cast the writers as eternal outsiders in the occult world that has become rather soft if late.

Right I am off now to strip naked, smear myself with blood and dirt and howl at the moon.
Say what now???
Old 20th July 2017, 10:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Say what now???
Come on J, have you never had a bare knuckle fight before sacrificing an animal to Odin whilst living in a shack in the woods. It is a thing as the kids say.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Is it Thursday night already?
Old 20th July 2017, 10:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Come on J, have you never had a bare knuckle fight before sacrificing an animal to Odin whilst living in a shack in the woods. It is a thing as the kids say.
I thought that was the ideal good night out in Wales...???

Like this? Share it using the links below!