Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2020, 09:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lost In The Woods by Julian Palacious

A book about Roger "Syd" Barrett, who helped create "psychedelia" but ultimately paid a high price for his exploration. Book was written not that long ago, but it sadly fascinating how "mental illness" still frightens people. And of course, the whole lack of understanding that goes with that.
What with pop stars going into rehab after one joint nowadays ....
Yes, it made me dig out the records. Yes, Piper still pisses all over the rest of their catalogue, as they resemble more and more theraputic sessions writ large for Waters own loss and guilt IMHO.
Plus his were catchy with a pop sensibility, not dirges like Money or Eclipse. Ahem.
Enough! Even the guy who wrote the thing finishes by saying "just leave the chap alone". There's the odd factual error and a bizarre mention of Scott Walker as fellow recluse towards the end. His was a conscious decision though.
RIP.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd February 2020, 04:31 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

20200223_163033.jpg

Just about to start this i was cleaning out boxes and i have such a backlog of Richard Laymon books i didn't realise i had just usually pick them up anywhere i see them.
Old 23rd February 2020, 11:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Rereading William Hope Hodgson's The House On The Borderland. An absolute milestone in cosmic horror. If you are an HPL fan and you haven't read this .... get on with it cough.
You have excellent taste, sir. I remember the first time I read it there was a massive storm outside. I ended up finishing it about 1.30 in the morning with the wind and rain lashing at the windows. Great stuff.

I have the Night Land too but have never got round to reading it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 24th February 2020, 07:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
You have excellent taste, sir. I remember the first time I read it there was a massive storm outside. I ended up finishing it about 1.30 in the morning with the wind and rain lashing at the windows. Great stuff.

I have the Night Land too but have never got round to reading it.
An ideal setting!!! Mate has TNL, he says it's not as good as THOTB, but is still worth a look.

And thank you Deadite.
Deadite likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th March 2020, 09:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

All Gates Open by Irmin Schmidt & Rob Young.

This being both an autobiography and a history of the German group Can. Just getting into it, and it's quite informative so far ....

Don't know Can? Well, here's a tune then ....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AL.jpg (37.0 KB, 2 views)
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
Old 10th April 2020, 07:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I started reading this book earlier today, it's so good! A memoir following from where Shock Value ended. This one picks up from Polyester and goes from there! For fans of John and his gang of outsiders, this is highly recommended.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th April 2020, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

S
O
L
D
!
!
!
Justin101 likes this.

[B]
Old 10th April 2020, 09:52 PM
Active Cultist

I finish the other day to Munich from Robert Harris (£0.99 in a charity shop you can't go wrong), after that watched a documentary on youtube about the Munich deal, quiet good to see some stuff in the book really happen on the summit. An easy read for this strange times..

At the moment I'm reading:

Man's Hope (French: L'Espoir) is a 1937 novel by André Malraux

Still a lot to go, but at the moment not great, but and interesting topic - Spanish Civil War
Old 15th April 2020, 11:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default All Gates Opening "mind the doors!"

Ah, you can tell he wrote for The Wire this one, 5 words I've had to get the dictionary out for in two overviews (Tago Mago, Soon Over Babaluma) (Rob Young cough)

Had to listen to them again just to make sure . He gives Ian Penman (another intermittent Wire scribe) a run for his floridity (???) ahem. But that's what I likes, I'm not overly fond of the naturalistic style that some others feeel they can dole out willy nilly. John Harris stand up

I liked Can from the minute I heard them tbh. And they never really let me down, even the reunion album (Rite Time) was out of step. Fascinating to read about a band who did not conform at all to any rockist cliches whilst Rock held sway (Western populace), apart from the prodigous amounts of weed (one photo has a plant in the studio, which may have been a joke, as their base was a converted cinema ... nae windaes ken? )
Ahem.

[B]
Old 26th May 2020, 10:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Read a couple of star wars novels

Catalyst A rouge one novel

This takes place just before the end of the clone wars and the birth of Jyn. We learn more of the back story's of Galen Erso and Orsen Krennic whom a very interesting character here with his friendship with Galen and his rivalry with Tarken.

Darth Plagueis

Here we learn of Palpatine masters and how they met , taking place 30 odd years before the phantom menace we see seeds of the clone wars and the conflicts of the time being set in motion by both sith and setting in motion events to make Palpatine chancellor. Also get some backstory for Maul.

Both story's were excellent adding a lot of back story

Like this? Share it using the links below!