Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2010, 08:36 PM
Ex-member

I'm currently reading Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy (even though it is realy a series as there were supposed to be 10 of them) which i started in february and am currently on book 3 called The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest.

I've seen the first film in the cinema and am slightly annoyed that the DVD/Blu-Ray release of the film is only the cinema version, which comes out on Monday, as I want the Mini Series Version which has an extra 30 minutes of footage.
Old 19th July 2010, 01:12 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
OH MY GOD! You've just jogged my memory of the Fighting Fantasy books. As a child I had about 10 or so books of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone, (they're the creators of Games Workshop by the way) including that original Creature of Havoc copy.
I'm so going to have to buy some of these again, I loved them sooooo much!
'Warlock of Fire Top Mountain' and 'City of Thieves' were always my fave as a nipper.

Just finished a book called 'Confederacy of Dunces' by John Kennedy Toole. The author committed suicide when he couldn't get it published in the 60's. Finally years later it did and It's brilliant.

Read three Philip K Dick books in a row before this one, all very good but still think 'Scanner Darkly' is the best of his. 'Flow my tears the Policeman said' is another one I really like by him though.

I seem to get stuck on one author for ages and read through all their books which is cool until you run out.. Read alot of Haruki Murikami books in a row which are all great but they sort of merged into one after the first few so will have to read some of them again sometime.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:01 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora75 View Post

Just finished a book called 'Confederacy of Dunces' by John Kennedy Toole. The author committed suicide when he couldn't get it published in the 60's. Finally years later it did and It's brilliant.
One of my all time favourites
Old 20th July 2010, 12:48 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
One of my all time favourites
Old 11th October 2010, 11:57 AM
Active Cultist

Just Finished 'And another Thing' which is the 6th in the Hitchhikers Guide series. This one was not written by Douglas Adams but by Eoin Colfer. Thought I would hate it being written by somebody else but actually it's great.

Before that I read the 'Foundation' trilogy by Asimov. Epic but brilliant if you like that sort of thing. Spans a few hundred years of time.

Now reading 'Cats Cradle' but Kurt Vonnegut. So far really good.
Old 11th October 2010, 04:30 PM
Cult Addict

"Electric Eden: Unearthing Britain's Visionary Music" by Rob Young. A 600 page plus look at British folk music and other "visionary" music. Has a good piece on "The Wicker Man" soundtrack on pages 411 to 414 if you don't fancy the whole book and have a couple of spare minutes in Waterstones.
Old 13th October 2010, 01:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm only about 30 pages from the end of The Fall, the second in a trilogy by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan following The Strain and both books have been absolutely brilliant -- I can't wait for the third and final instalment.
Old 15th October 2010, 03:33 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Sounds excellent Nos! I'll have to give those a read.

Currently reading the one of the greatest books ever written, Defenders of The Faith: The Story Of Judas Priest - full of so much information - an amazing read. Every metalhead should read this!
Old 15th October 2010, 03:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As I finished The Fall, I am now reading Songs of the Doomed by Hunter S Thompson.
Old 19th October 2010, 01:00 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Sounds excellent Nos! I'll have to give those a read.

Currently reading the one of the greatest books ever written, Defenders of The Faith: The Story Of Judas Priest - full of so much information - an amazing read. Every metalhead should read this!
I've alway's liked the track "Painkiller". tracks like "Breaking the Law" were a little daft, but they have a certain amount of charm appeal. great band. Haven't read that book though, but it sounds good to me...

Like this? Share it using the links below!