All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2010, 05:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Found a cracking wee backstreet shop/house in Wigtown and bought a pile of VIDEO WATCHDOG,SAMHAIN,SHIVERS,SHOCK EXPRESS and some '70's HOUSE OF HAMMER Magazines-all in mint condition!

Also bought Alan Brown's INSIDE THE WICKER MAN-Only halfway through it,but it really is fascinating stuff!

And btw,anyone who likes slasher films,then Teenage Wasteland is a must-read.
A top notch book from J.A. Kerswell.

http://www.atthesignofthedragon.co.uk/

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th October 2010, 05:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

SWANSEA JACKS by Andrew Tooze & Martin King.

It's accounts from members of Swansea FC casual firm the 'Jack's' , that follow the S Wales team.
A very interesting read and a good look into the mind of the lads that live this lifestyle.

And The Bible off course.
Old 19th October 2010, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
I've got that but couldn't get into it, must try again sometime, his spaghetti western book however I read cover to cover in a few days.
What book is that Inspector? I'm after a decent book on Spaghetti Westerns. Fabpress's Any Gun Can Play seems to be taking an age to come out!

You make it easy.
Old 20th October 2010, 02:15 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Profondo Argento is recommended for any Dario Argento fans out there. It covers all his movies, including the ones that he wrote and produced, right up to The Card Player.
Loads of great colour pictures included too. The book is published by Fab Press, if your interested in tracking a copy down. A really good book...
Old 20th October 2010, 12:07 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As I finished The Fall, I am now reading Songs of the Doomed by Hunter S Thompson.
Let us know if that's any good - Songs of the Doomed - as I'm a big fan of Thompson's books but have only read two so far - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rum Diary.

I'm currently reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks. Incredibly fascinating.
Old 20th October 2010, 01:49 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Hellraisers - about Oliver Reed, Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Peter O'Toole.
Old 20th October 2010, 03:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phats View Post
Let us know if that's any good - Songs of the Doomed - as I'm a big fan of Thompson's books but have only read two so far - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rum Diary.

I'm currently reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks. Incredibly fascinating.
If you liked those, then I can heartily recommend The Gonzo Papers Anthology (cheapest at The Book Depository by 1p!) which includes The Great Shark Hunt, Generation of Swine and Songs of the Doomed. I bought it for the last two books as I had already bought and read The Great Shark Hunt which is one of his finest books.

It is a fairly hefty tome with over 1200 pages so not the easiest thing for bedtime reading!
Old 23rd October 2010, 03:15 PM
Cultist

Just finishing World War Z. Very good book. Will be real interesting if it ever makes it to the big screen. Some of the stories will be epic.

Got a couple of metal autobiogs next Mustaine. A life in Metal Gotta be good as Dave's never been afraid to say it like he sees it. I can see Lars and James getting a bit of a roasting (hopefully).

Then I've got White Line Fever. Now how can an autobiography of Lemmy be anything other than awesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
Hellraisers - about Oliver Reed, Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Peter O'Toole.
Let me know how you get on with that. Looks like it could be a bit good.
Old 23rd October 2010, 06:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney32 View Post
Profondo Argento is recommended for any Dario Argento fans out there. It covers all his movies, including the ones that he wrote and produced, right up to The Card Player.
Loads of great colour pictures included too. The book is published by Fab Press, if your interested in tracking a copy down. A really good book...
I was hoping to track this and the Fulci book down in Wigtown,but no joy.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 24th October 2010, 11:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm currently about a third of the way through Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test which is similar to Hunter S Thompson's work (indeed, he used some of Thompson's notes and recordings from when he wrote Hell's Angels) and the people are just crackers.

Like this? Share it using the links below!