Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2013, 05:48 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

898205.jpg

Just picked this up today looking forward to getting started on it.
Old 19th June 2013, 05:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've just finished reading this months issues of Iron Man (#11) and Dial H (#13). Dial H goes from strength to strength. I can heartily recommend it to anyone who may be "a bit fed up" with the usual spandex hero types. The first few issues have now been collected as a trade paperback and have to be read to follow the complex story arcs that the writer, China Mieville, has woven.

In this months offering much of the story is taken up by a dialogue between "Open Window Man" and a chalk drawing of a Batman-esque little boy. See what I mean by complex!

The Whole run of 14 issues (so far) #0-#13 has been a tour de force of beautifully scripted and drawn "weirdness" and I am continuing to enjoy it! I don't suppose that it hurts to have that great "Judge Dredd" artist, Brian Bolland, to do the cover art. all in all a fantastic package, 19/10!

Hawkmonger likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:31 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Just started The Watchmen yesterday, never actually read it before so I decided to pick up a copy from Waterstones yesterday.
Hawkmonger and troggi like this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 06:53 PM
Cult Addict

Got cool reader on my phone.

now have all the discworld, dresden files and game of thrones.

Have just and so finished light fantastic today (after doing colour of magic of course) and will be making my way through all the pratchett books first.

Also bought the complete DYING EARTH. A collection of all the Jack Vance books. Probably the best sci-fi/fantasy series ever.
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Got cool reader on my phone.

now have all the discworld, dresden files and game of thrones.

Have just and so finished light fantastic today (after doing colour of magic of course) and will be making my way through all the pratchett books first.

Also bought the complete DYING EARTH. A collection of all the Jack Vance books. Probably the best sci-fi/fantasy series ever.
What, if you don't mind me asking, are "The Dresden Files" books like? I loved the series on T.V. but have never looked at the books (did the opposite with Dexter and took a lot of persuading by my little girl, Katherine, to watch the first series, I'm so glad I did).

As for Jack Vance's "Dying Earth", they were great but I still reckon that Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" series is THE greatest fantasy series ever (sorry Tolkien fans and Howard fans, but that's MY opinion). I know others will leap in with "The Belgariad" and "Narnia" but in my simple universe it is 1. Moorcock, 2. Edgar Rice Burroughs - "Barsoom" and, 3. Robert E. Howard's - "Conan". I told you my universe was simple!

Of course all of these literary giants owe a debt of gratitude to those who came before like; Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and, Edmund Spenser' s "The Faery Queene".

Monster Magnet
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Mafia Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the Gambino Crime Family
John H. Davis

I EAT mob true crime.
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
What, if you don't mind me asking, are "The Dresden Files" books like? I loved the series on T.V. but have never looked at the books (did the opposite with Dexter and took a lot of persuading by my little girl, Katherine, to watch the first series, I'm so glad I did).

As for Jack Vance's "Dying Earth", they were great but I still reckon that Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" series is THE greatest fantasy series ever (sorry Tolkien fans and Howard fans, but that's MY opinion). I know others will leap in with "The Belgariad" and "Narnia" but in my simple universe it is 1. Moorcock, 2. Edgar Rice Burroughs - "Barsoom" and, 3. Robert E. Howard's - "Conan". I told you my universe was simple!

Of course all of these literary giants owe a debt of gratitude to those who came before like; Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and, Edmund Spenser' s "The Faery Queene".

Fair point regarding Moorcock, I have a real soft spot for Vance though and the Dying earth books, especially the stuff with Cugel the clever always makes me chuckle.

As for the Dresden files, well defintately worth reading. The TV series while enjoyable never really did the books justice. I started reading them last year during a brief stint in hospital and got through three books in three days. Well written with great characterisation and interesting plots.
troggi likes this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Fair point regarding Moorcock, I have a real soft spot for Vance though and the Dying earth books, especially the stuff with Cugel the clever always makes me chuckle.

As for the Dresden files, well defintately worth reading. The TV series while enjoyable never really did the books justice. I started reading them last year during a brief stint in hospital and got through three books in three days. Well written with great characterisation and interesting plots.
Thanks for that. I'll try 'em out, maybe they'll break my "I can't concentrate on books anymore" syndrome or whatever it is. "Reader's Block", that'll do for a name for it!

Monster Magnet
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
maybe they'll break my "I can't concentrate on books anymore" syndrome or whatever it is. "Reader's Block", that'll do for a name for it!
Aint that a bitch...sometimes I think the only time I can really get stuck into a book is on holiday...bloody frustrating as it's one of life's simple pleasures.
troggi likes this.

Last edited by Zann; 22nd June 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Aint that a bitch...sometimes I think the only time I can really get stuck into a book is on holiday...bloody frustrating as it's one of like's simple pleasures.
This is why I read so many comics and graphic novels now, well, alright, not the ONLY reason....
Zann likes this.

Monster Magnet

Like this? Share it using the links below!