Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2015, 12:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

At the moment coming to the end of 'A Game of Thrones'. Previously I had read the first three novels of Poldark.
Old 5th July 2015, 01:40 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Just finished Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Highly recommended.
A truly great book, which I two or three times and get out of each time.

I'm not sure if I have mentioned these, but the last books I read were:

To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
Orange Is the New Black – Piper Kerman
Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck
Dead Until Dark – Charlaine Harris

To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men will probably draw groans from those who were forced to read them at school but, because I didn't, and had only read Steinbeck's book once before (when I was 10 or 11 years old), was able to go to them relatively fresh

I'd seen the film version of To Kill a Mockingbird several times, so was pleasantly surprised by how much material is in the book and how much deeper the character development is, with the length giving opportunity for exploration of other people in the town and how they relate to Scout and her family over the duration of events (several years), which is much longer than in the film adaptation.

I've had the first 10 of The Southern Vampire Mysteries series on the book shelf for a couple of years so, after doing some reading for University, decided to read the first one and finished it in two days. I thought it was brilliantly written, especially considering how the mystery in that book wasn't a mystery because, because I've watched the TV adaptation several times, I knew what was going on. I normally come down on one side of the fence with books and the adaptations, but really liked the book and like the changes made for True Blood equally.
Old 6th July 2015, 01:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Currently rererereading The Western Lands by W S Burroughs. "Inspired" by Norman Mailer, this bleak tale of revenge writ on a cosmic scale is still one of my favourite reads.
To merely describe what transpires would be a disservice. Am still trying to work up courage to buy this audio book of The Wild Boys
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th July 2015, 03:03 PM
Active Cultist

Currently reading Naked Lunch,took me about a hour to understand the 1st chapter.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 6th July 2015, 04:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer time View Post
Currently reading Naked Lunch,took me about a hour to understand the 1st chapter.
Good luck then!! NL is a trove of imagery imo.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th July 2015, 04:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Started on Horns by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) today. I'm only a few pages in, but I'm enjoying it and will check out the film once I've finished it
Demoncrat likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th August 2015, 09:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just finished:

Now (finally) reading:

Old 12th August 2015, 02:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Reading Hello America by JG Ballard.
100 years after the oil runs out, an expedition returns to the US to investigate. They think they will find booty, but as this is Ballard, they will only find the gaping pit in their souls I'm sure

Reread The Whisperer In Darkness.
I was right, it isn't cinematic at all, being a collection of letters structure wise. but I still say the film could have been done differently....just saying.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
Old 12th August 2015, 03:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Difficult Men by Brett Martin.
Old 13th August 2015, 08:36 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've taken a break from The Lucifer Effect: How Good People Turn Evil by Philip Zimbardo, which is principally about the Stanford Prison Experiment, to read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

The Lucifer Effect is fascinating, and I only bought it because I recently did a 10 credit Exploring Psychology module at University, which looked at obedience and Zimbardo's SPE and Stanley Milgram's obedience test (his book, Obedience to Authority, is next on my list). The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is a remarkable book, which really shows how people on the higher end of the ASD spectrum function and think, and the effects it has on those around them.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!