Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2015, 12:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Just the article, I'm afraid. I'm far too plebby to be allowed to write a book. I'm just amazed that they let me read them.

By the way, thanks for the hit.
I know it was probably a daft question but i noticed a John McLusky was a co-author and ... well you know...Mc and Mac...could be you.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 24th November 2015, 12:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I know it was probably a daft question but i noticed a John McLusky was a co-author and ... well you know...Mc and Mac...could be you.
My actual first name is Blayne. I don't often share my full name as it is very, very unique and while I know the regulars here wouldn't do anything nefarious with it (well, Make Them Die Slowly might ), guests may have some fun with it. I've actually had a few weirdos harass me in the past when they learnt my name because it makes me easy to find.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 24th November 2015, 12:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
My actual first name is Blayne. I don't often share my full name as it is very, very unique and while I know the regulars here wouldn't do anything nefarious with it (well, Make Them Die Slowly might ), guests may have some fun with it. I've actually had a few weirdos harass me in the past when they learnt my name because it makes me easy to find.
We'll mention it no more then.

Enjoyed your review of The Black Cat set by the way on the site.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 24th November 2015, 12:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
We'll mention it no more then.

Enjoyed your review of The Black Cat set by the way on the site.
Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st December 2015, 12:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Jam by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Travis wakes up one morning to find all of Brisbane covered by a man-eating jam-like substance.

Jam is a funny little satire on millennial culture. Our protagonists are layabouts with no special talents (or even the knowledge to achieve their dreams). The survivors are made up of the unemployed or the employed lick-arses. And society collapses into a system that can be best described as a forum board watched over by overzealous moderators.

The dialogue is funny, and Croshaw's metaphors are very comical. It doesn't challenge the writings of Adams or Pratchett but Jam is definitely worth a read.

P.S. If you're not familiar with Croshaw's style of humour, here is his review of Resident Evil 5.

Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st December 2015, 03:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

#170 of The Darkside Magazine.
MacBlayne and Demoncrat like this.
Old 1st December 2015, 03:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nearly finished Songs OADD. Certainly lesser in content than Grimscribe. Too in debt to the man etc....

Also finished The Movie Doctors. An audiobook beckons? As it is basically the radio show chit chit....in a book.
MacBlayne likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th December 2015, 03:49 PM
Cult Veteran

I finished reading Dune this weekend, it was great. I always feel strange about reading books when I know the plot already but I did enjoy it a lot as it expands upon a lot of plot points which were confusing in the Lynch version of the movie. I'm inclined to watch the Sci-Fi mini-series version now.
I re-read Roald Dahl's Matilda yesterday which is a book I can go back to time and time again, Dahl has such a way with words that makes you laugh out loud - not many authors can achieve this.

Anyway, I'm currently reading this; The Diva Rules, Michelle Visage

Most people in the UK would know her as the runner up from Celebrity Big Brother last year, but she is also well known as being a judge on RuPaul's Drag Race TV show as well as having a long term radio career in the US as well as being an ambassador and voice for misfits across the board. The book is very inspirational, the type of book I wouldn't usually read, but it's more biography than self help. It's kind of like 'this is how I turned my life around and I'll give you some examples from my life experience'. She talks about coming up on the club scene in the late 80's in NYC and even about how Madonna stole her dance moves, and she also talks about how she was cut out of famous Drag Queen documentary Paris Is Burning because she is a biological woman.

Interesting so far, and it's fairly slim with a lot of pictures so I'll be done by the end of my bus home from work tomorrow!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th December 2015, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Hey, I stalk by smell alone, no need for your name.
Old 16th January 2016, 03:55 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Recently finished reading an excellent non-fiction book, Stiff. Very morbid but written in an interesting and often funny way, the book looks at what happens to the human body after it dies. From how it decays, experiments bodies are used for, rituals and even cannibalism. Really interesting stuff and well worth reading for anyone interested in it. It's very easy to read - more like a novel than a referance book or something like that.

Moving onto a new book I got in the post the other day, A Coffin Full Of Dollars. Back in the 70s, the famous Spaghetti Western 'Dollars' trilogy was adapted into a series of paperbacks. Those had a few sequels (official book sequels, I guess you'd call them) and feature The Man With No Name, etc. I can't find much about them online - seems pretty obscure - but really looking forward to reading it. Hopefully it's as good as the original films!

There's a few in the series it seems;
  • A Fistful Of Dollars
  • A Dollar To Die For
  • The Devil's Dollar Sign
  • The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
  • For A Few Dollars More
  • Blood For A Dirty Dollar
  • The Million-Dollar Bloodhunt
  • and A Coffin Full Of Dollars

Should be fun! It's an old pulp paperback! Anyone read these?

Like this? Share it using the links below!