Old 13th October 2013, 08:02 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Revisiting one of my favourites.

Old 13th October 2013, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Well, were talking briefly about metal on another thread so I thought I'd pass on this link to anyone who might be interested -
Send Back My Stamps - Metal History Through Fanzines
Yeah it's a nice site. I tape traded and collected zines in the early nineties...sadly all that stuff bit the dust moving house
years ago.
troggi likes this.
Old 14th October 2013, 12:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fashion Beast - Alan Moore/Malcolm Mclaren.
Was it me or does AM sound just a wee bit starstruck in the intro to this?? Bit of a cheek putting this here, as I'l be reading it tonight, but as twill the most up to date thing I'll have read in ages, thought I'd make the effort cough.
troggi likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th November 2013, 10:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Currently reading the debut novel by a friend of mine that he's sent me to proof read and offer criticism and feedback on. It's a "Dark Romantic Comedy" as he puts it, which isn't a genre I would usually read, but after only reading the first 4 chapters I'm already engrossed in it and have genuine feelings for the main characters, in fact I'm enjoying it so much that I've transferred it onto my phone to read on the bus or my second favourite seat in the house

I've always known he was destined for better things than working in an office for a major building society, the guy designed his own version of Monopoly when he was a kid based on our home town of Halifax called Tomonopoly (His name is Tom just in case you didn't get that ) and despite only being 25, he's probably the cleverest person I know!
Almost a year later and tonight he sent me the start of his latest novel, kind of a sequel/spin off to the one I mentioned here, featuring a minor character of the first novel as one of the main characters here.
Once again, I'm absolutely engrossed in the story and also a little annoyed that he sent me it before it is finished (it was only 27 pdf pages long) as I really wanna know how the story turns out.
troggi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th November 2013, 10:38 PM
Cult Addict

Just finished re-reading "Story of the Eye" by George Bataille. It is pissy, eggy, eyeball goodness. I urge everyone to read it once in their life. It's fantastic.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Just finished Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

And started If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-Movie Actor
Old 11th November 2013, 12:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm reading Koko by Peter Straub, on recommendation from a friend. Really enjoying it too. I've previously read (and loved) Ghost Story by him, and Koko is, so far, more psychological. It could be argued that his books are too long, as Koko is a beast, but he writes characters well. I'm 2/3 of the way through and surprisingly little has actually happened, but again it's the characters and the sense of impending doom that draws you in.
Old 11th November 2013, 05:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM View Post
Just finished Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Reminded me of this

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th November 2013, 07:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I'm reading Koko by Peter Straub, on recommendation from a friend. Really enjoying it too. I've previously read (and loved) Ghost Story by him, and Koko is, so far, more psychological. It could be argued that his books are too long, as Koko is a beast, but he writes characters well. I'm 2/3 of the way through and surprisingly little has actually happened, but again it's the characters and the sense of impending doom that draws you in.
I loved "Ghost Story" too and I understand what you mean about the length and the "sense of impending doom". It also seems as though everything that is mentioned is of vital importance and that you should remember the slightest details "just in case..." Great writer!

As mentioned elsewhere I am reading volume 1 of "Promethea" by Alan Moore and I will be buying volume 2 as it is so good. So far it doesn't have the depth of "Watchmen" or the wide-ranging cultural references of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" but it is a very novel idea. Exceptional craftsmanship from Moore with wonderful, almost "deco" art by J. H. Williams III and Mick Gray.

A solid 18/10 from me for yet another alternate Earth story from a master wordsmith.
Delirium likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 13th November 2013, 02:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Fangoria #328 with Roger Corman on the cover,had a quick browse and it looks a good one
troggi and SCM like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!