Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2020, 02:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Speaking of King, I'm currently half way through his latest 'The Institute' and it's by far the best King I've read in recent years, really good stuff.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th January 2020, 10:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Speaking of King, I'm currently half way through his latest 'The Institute' and it's by far the best King I've read in recent years, really good stuff.

I got it the day it was published and haven’t read much more than the first couple of chapters, been far too busy drawing to finish it

What I’ve read so far was good though, so I should really pick it back up again
Justin101 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th January 2020, 07:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

I read most of The Nest pretty quickly and then got bogged down at the end as this section was pretty anti-climatic. The best parts of the book were obviously the cockroach attacks, especially the mass child chomp on the beach which is a set-piece which will be hard to forget. However, the plotting/slash character interaction was a bit forced and lacked human conflict/tension.

I decided from there that I was going to read all the books recommended by the Paperbacks from Hell guys. After all why wade through stacks of poor books when somebody has already done for you? So I moved onto When Darkness Love Us which took me a long time to read. Not because it wasn't any good but because I was very busy with work and too tired to read. This book is actually two novelettes. The titular story and Beauty Is... Both are unconventional horror stories but all the better for it. The first packs a real punch but ends so abruptly that I didn't realise I was reading the next one until two chapters in The second is also a bit of a love story that is both moving and tragic.

I then moved on to The Reaping, which conversely I read very quickly. It's the fourth Bernard Taylor book I've read in a year and definitely the weakest. It's still good but doesn't quite match the jaw dropping climaxes of the others, and unusually for Taylor chickens out from finishing on a downer ending.

Up next is The Tribe by Bari Wood which I'm promised in the introduction will be an update of The Golem story. Just started it and already there are that staple of seventies and eighties novels... Nazis! Ah the nostalgia...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Douglas_Nest.jpg (39.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DarknessLoves.jpg (68.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Reaping.jpg (71.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Tribe.jpg (57.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 16th January 2020, 07:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Enjoyable post, Rob.

Look forward to reading more in the future.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 16th January 2020, 08:10 PM
Cult Addict

Well seeing as I watched the TV series and have been playing the 3rd fame. I've decided to reread the witcher books starting with The Last Wish

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 29th January 2020, 04:54 AM
Cult Addict

Been reading some old James Erbert lately.
Stuff i never read back in the day.

The Jonah then fluke. (both good books)
Just read "The Survivor"

In true old school Herbert fashion the end of chapter kills are cool.

The rest of the book was a mess, with a demonic possession subplot that amounted to nothing and a end of story payoff that failed to wrap up the story satisfactorily.

I enjoyed reading it if that makes any sense but the end was pants squared.

Watched the film after and that was even shitter.

Balls...might have to go back and read the Fog again.
Demoncrat and bleakshaun like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 6th February 2020, 03:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Been reading some old James Erbert lately.

Stuff i never read back in the day.

The Jonah then fluke. (both good books)

Just read "The Survivor"

In true old school Herbert fashion the end of chapter kills are cool.

The rest of the book was a mess, with a demonic possession subplot that amounted to nothing and a end of story payoff that failed to wrap up the story satisfactorily.

I enjoyed reading it if that makes any sense but the end was pants squared.

Watched the film after and that was even shitter.

Balls...might have to go back and read the Fog again.
I'm currently about half way through The Ghosts of Sleath. And while by no means a bad book, it is the first of James Herberts novels I've struggled with. Feels flabbier than usual.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 6th February 2020, 03:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm currently about half way through The Ghosts of Sleath. And while by no means a bad book, it is the first of James Herberts novels I've struggled with. Feels flabbier than usual.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Been years since I read it, I was lucky enough to get a signed copy for Christmas whatever year it was published. I gave up on Ash which I think is the next book in the series, couldn’t get into it at all
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th February 2020, 05:05 PM
Cult Addict

One of the reasons i've been reading Herbert books is quite a few of the early ones are short and sharp, i haven't got the patience or motivation for big books these days.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 6th February 2020, 06:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rereading William Hope Hodgson's The House On The Borderland. An absolute milestone in cosmic horror. If you are an HPL fan and you haven't read this .... get on with it cough. See also The Golem by Gustav Meyrink. If they had filmed that, Caligari wouldn't get a look in.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!