All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2021, 01:21 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
To be honest i think you'd be better off reading Island considering your beach front location. At least that way you'd be wary of anyone approaching in case they skinned you alive on the shoreline.
Im already wary of people approaching incase they want to talk to me i think id rather me skinned alive
Justin101 likes this.
Old 18th September 2021, 04:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Have started reading The Otherwise, interesting so far.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th September 2021, 06:27 PM
Cult Addict

books of blood vol 1 to 3, currently on vol 2
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 27th November 2021, 09:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

I found this while sorting stuff out. Nice one to read by candle light.

13243900.jpg
Old 1st January 2022, 10:11 PM
Cult Addict

Finished this tonight. I've been really impressed with a few of Ramsey Campbells short stories but crikey this was hard work. Interesting ideas, the sort of stuff Neil Gaiman can do in his sleep but the writing here was so tedious at times. Made Stephen King's prose seem pacey.
Screenshot_20220101-221505.jpg

Last edited by J Harker; 1st January 2022 at 11:20 PM.
Old 22nd April 2022, 06:26 PM
Cultist

After the 3 volumes of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive, where volume 3 took me so damned long to go through, and it. would. never. end, I needed some familiar territory (some comfort reading, if you will) so I'm breezing through Steven Saylor's "Roman Blood", which I had read some 20+ years ago. The reading list is, like the watch list, so long, but sometimes it feels good to revisit something that gave you pleasure, even if at the potential cost of not watching/reading something new.
Old 23rd April 2022, 06:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Currently reading, mmm. Reading is VERY difficult for me at this point in time (has been for about 20 years) so I have to "use strategies" to fool my attention span into getting through a book. Comics and graphic novels, no problem because half of the "heavy lifting" is done by pictures.

So I am reading the the first volume of "Batman: Elseworlds", Merlin Sheldrake's "Entangled Life", "The Manta Trilogy" by Piers Anthony, "Otherlands: A World in the Making" by Thomas Halliday, and "Other Minds: The Octopus and the Evolution of Intelligent Life" by Peter Godfrey-Smith.

I almost forgot, I'm also dipping into "Mythos" by Stephen Fry. All great reads and, if I get time in my busy schedule, I'll tell you what I think of each of 'em (it won't be a great deal because I'm only a third of the way through each)!

Monster Magnet
Old 23rd April 2022, 06:52 PM
Cult Addict

I have a bad attention span when it comes to reading, as a kid I could sit and read for hours, but stopped for years due to anxiety/ depression, but have slowly got back to it.

These days I read regularly but in short 20 minute bursts, started again by going into coffee shops and reading with a coffee occasionally, but because of covid ended up doing a lot of reading, ahem... whilst on the shitter.

Started off reading again with shorter books as I have a tendency to get halfway through large books and lose interest, I also like books with a lot of individual small chapters as this helps keeping the pace going.

Now I usually go for short novels (around 200 pages preferably) and have managed about 30 in the past few years, although I changed to graphic novels / collected comic storylines during lockdown for a bit of escapism.

I tend to go for either classic novels I haven't got round to, books that films have been based on, old pulp horror/ sci fi I remember from having as a kid., or just other random stuff that always interested me.
I've got a lot of 70's/ 80's novels i've picked up over the years from charity shops, car boots etc.

Over the past few years this has included early James Herbert, William Burroughs, Conan, Sven Hassel, Fear and loathing in Las
Vegas, On the Road, The electric kool aid acid test, Romero's Martin film adaption. to name a few that come to mind.

This year so far i've read these books, which is pretty good going for me, but all have been easy reads, around 200 pages mostly, with Animal Farm coming in at a whopping 88 pages.

2979796.jpeg 9780708827451-uk.jpeg

93911.jpg 4965533388_f576545948_b.jpg

howlingbrander.jpg animal-farm-138.jpg

Never read Animal Farm but meant to, recently found out the other day that Orwell based the book near me in the next town/village, a place called Willingdon (it's mentioned in the story many times). So that prompted me to finally read it.

The last book I read was Z for Zachariah (finished yesterday) which I remember really liking as a teenager at school. It was as good as I remembered, a basic story of survival of a teenage girl after a nuclear war, she lives in a valley that is kind of missed and must survive on her own on a farm until another survivor shows up and complicates stuff.

There's a film of it with Margo Robbie that makes the character older and adds an extra survivor, totally ruining the dynamic and tone of the story, it's the reason i went back to the book as the film was totally wrong compared to what I remembered.

zforzachariah_edited.jpeg

Now trying to decide what to read now.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 23rd April 2022 at 10:35 PM.
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I haven't read a single book in months, going back well into last year.

I did begin punk icon Jordan's book a few weeks ago but took it to my mates house in Manchester when i visited as he wanted to have a look at it. I forgot to pick it up as i left which was annoying.

Better drive over again i guess but it's an hour away and petrol's not cheap.

It really annoys me the fact i haven't read anything in such a long time other than a few classic horror short stories in the twinkling lights of the Christmas tree.
Old 24th April 2022, 10:33 AM
Cult Veteran

It seems like I’m not alone in finding it difficult to concentrate on a book lately. I find audiobooks are great though when I’m on my morning walk, currently listening to the 6th book in The Dresden Files series called Blood Rites.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!