Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2010, 11:04 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default What Are You Currently Reading?

So we've got a thread for the films you're recently watched and recently bought as well as a thread for games you're playing and music your listening to at the moment, so why not a similar thread but for books!

Now I have to admit I'm not really a book worm at all, but I've read my fair share of books (normally always horror).

So here's a thread to post info on what book you're reading. Whether it's any good. Perhaps we could have some quite good discussions here too.

So, to kick it off I've just (tonight) started reading a rather unconventional book that goes by the name of Creature Of Havoc. "Why's it so unconventional?" I don't hear you cry. Well, because it's a gamebook rather than a straight forward fiction book. For those who don't know gamebooks are books in which the reader decides what shall happen next. The books are split into about 400+ short numbered passages and at the end of each one a choice has to be made, such as turn left or turn right, save the hobbit or stump on it's head. That type of stuff. Then the reader goes to the appropriate passage and carries on.

I used to semi-read these (giving up any time I died) when I was a kid they're part of a series of gamebooks called Fighting Fantasy (FF) and was tempted to read this one again just because of the awesome artwork. Check it out below.

So far I've died about 5 times (I officially hate elves and spears!) and had to track backwards - yes I know it's cheating but whatever! I've also killed several hobbits, several flesh-feeders and a 'clawbeast' and then proceded to eat their flesh.

It's great fun! Plus it's got pictures in too.

Anyone ever read this or any other gamebooks? I hear they were quite popular in the 80s (this one was originally published in '86) so maybe some of you read some when you were younger or whatever.

The cover of the book I have (quite possibly the scariest looking creature ever!):

The original cover of the book - to jog memories maybe:

Old 13th July 2010, 01:07 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

What's a 'book'?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 13th July 2010, 08:22 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Game books, haha, I remember going to the local library and reading those.

I cracked open Lord of the Rings yesterday (i read in the Metro) for the first time since 1999 (just before the first movie was released). I'm 60 pages in so far, loving it.
Old 13th July 2010, 10:21 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
What's a 'book'?
Not much of a reader, eh?

Do you remember any of the gamebooks you read in particular broonage? Ah, LOTR - I tried reading those but I gave up before The Two Towers FAIL. Mind you I did complete The Hobbit which was great.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Each night whilst in bed waiting for the Mrs (actually a Miss) lotion up or whatever it is she does, I read The Mammoth Book of Zombie Comics. Some are a bit boring but there are some great stories in it too.

I finished the Volume 1 Compendium book of The Walking Dead (issues 1-48) a few months back and I just can't wait for the next book, although I can't find a release date or anything about it anywhere online

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 13th July 2010, 12:06 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Each night whilst in bed waiting for the Mrs (actually a Miss) lotion up or whatever it is she does, I read The Mammoth Book of Zombie Comics. Some are a bit boring but there are some great stories in it too.

I finished the Volume 1 Compendium book of The Walking Dead (issues 1-48) a few months back and I just can't wait for the next book, although I can't find a release date or anything about it anywhere online
Great minds think a like I've got The Mammoth Book Of Zombie Comics too and totally agree with your opinion. Most are great but some are rubbish. Have you read the last one yet, "Zombies"? That's by far my fav along with the brilliant "Might of the Living Dead".
Old 13th July 2010, 12:10 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

OH MY GOD! You've just jogged my memory of the Fighting Fantasy books. As a child I had about 10 or so books of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone, (they're the creators of Games Workshop by the way) including that original Creature of Havoc copy.
I'm so going to have to buy some of these again, I loved them sooooo much!

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 13th July 2010, 12:18 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
OH MY GOD! You've just jogged my memory of the Fighting Fantasy books. As a child I had about 10 or so books of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone, (they're the creators of Games Workshop by the way) including that original Creature of Havoc copy.
I'm so going to have to buy some of these again, I loved them sooooo much!

Did you used to have them in a big box set like this Ant?

That's what I've got anyways - would be so weird if you had the same. Luckily I never gave these babies away.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Did you used to have them in a big box set like this Ant?

That's what I've got anyways - would be so weird if you had the same. Luckily I never gave these babies away.
No I had the original seperate Puffin releases from the 80's, those ones are the republished versions from the 90's. They're still making these as well, some issues are due a release this September. Might have to get some of these reissues cos those covers look awesome. The originals were great too though, real creepy!

Old 13th July 2010, 01:03 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Ah right. Yep the covers are indeed incredible - these books are so great. I'll have to start reading more gamebooks.

Like this? Share it using the links below!