Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   H. P. Lovecraft (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/3464-h-p-lovecraft.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 20th August 2010 03:28 PM

H. P. Lovecraft

1 Attachment(s)
Guess who's birthday it is today?

One of the greatest and most influencial horror writers of all time, H. P. Lovecraft!

So, since this is a horror forum, and since it's HPL's big day - here's a thread to discuss all things Lovecraftian.

Read any books?

Seen any films inspired by the man?:pop2:

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th August 2010 04:39 PM

I have the paperback, H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus Vol 2 which contains..

Dagon
The Tomb
Polaris
Beyond the Wall of Sleep
The Doom That Came to Sarnath
The White Ship
Arthur Jermyn
The Cats of Ulthar
Celephaïs
From Beyond
The Temple
The Tree
The Moon-Bog
The Nameless City
The Other Gods
The Quest of Iranon
Herbert West--Reanimator
The Hound
Hypnos
The Lurking Fear
The Festival
The Unnamable
Imprisoned with the Pharaohs
He
The Horror at Red Hook
The Strange High House in the Mist
In the Walls of Eryx
The Evil Clergyman
The Beast in the Cave
The Alchemist
Poetry and the Gods
The Street
The Transition of Juan Romero
Azathoth
The Descendant
The Book
The Thing in the Moonlight
Supernatural Horror in Literature

So far I've only read From Beyond and Re-Animator. I'll get to the others some time.

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th August 2010 04:44 PM

Not a Lovecraft film but inspired slightly by the man himself is a great tv film I've seen and used to own on VHS called Cast A Deadly Spell, starring Fred Ward as cop in 40's L.A. where everyone uses magic. His name? Harry Philip Lovecraft!

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th August 2010 04:56 PM

One film I'm sad that never got made was Shadow Over Innsmouth. It was announced by Full Moon and never came to be. They even came up with one of their usual excellent posters. The story was eventually made by Stuart Gordon as Dagon, which featured elements from both stories.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/719...erposterfa.jpg

Make Them Die Slowly 20th August 2010 08:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Lovecraft is one of my favourite writers. I have a bit of a thing for his writing and the mythos in general. I've attached some pics of a couple of models I've made based on his work and part of a Lovecraft/Nick Blinko inspired drawing. Oh yeah and a photo showing the true terror of when the Great Old Ones manifest.

I'm presently listening to "Cacophony" by Rudimentary Peni, a punk/prog concept LP based on Lovecraft's life and works.

Several years ago when I was a gentleman occultist I did some heavy shit magick based on the mythos. Spooky stuff.

I'll try and upload a photo of my Lovecraft book collection but at the moment it won't upload.

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th August 2010 09:03 PM

Excellent stuff MTDS :thumb: And as for "Several years ago when I was a gentleman occultist", a phrase you certainly don't hear every day!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 20th August 2010 09:16 PM

Excellent list Stevoj and that poster looks brilliant. Has anyone ever listened to The H. P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast? It's excellent and has loads of Lovecraft stories - each one like an audiobook. Look it up on Itunes :)

Make Them Die Slowly 20th August 2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 97911)
Excellent stuff MTDS :thumb: And as for "Several years ago when I was a gentleman occultist", a phrase you certainly don't hear every day!

I guess not!;) I used to fancy myself as the Duke de Richleau but after several years ended up more like Paul Daniels.:pound:

I forgot to mention I've been working with some friends writing Lovecraftian lyrics for a music project. I'll post a link when it is completed.

Uncle Andy 20th August 2010 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a small collection of Lovecraft's Arkham House books going (still need to pick up a few titles to fill it out). About a month back I decided to treat myself and finally got a copy of this one...(getting the VISA bill on that was pretty painful though.:eek:)

phsyco butcher 20th March 2011 02:28 PM

THE great old one

1 Attachment(s)
Very fond of Lovecraft's work. Got various books of his writing, including one of poetry and a recent hefty tome called the Necronomicon, which has some of his best weird tales in it. Also check out my 'Cthulhu in a jar'

My greatest wish is that one day someone will recognise the genius of his writing and start to make some serious attempt at bringing it to the big screen. I have a copy of Dagon on dvd but it could have been better.

Perhaps here's the chance for some clarificaation too. I did hear an internet rumour that Peter Jackson was in the initial process of directing a movie based on the mountains of madness. As cool as it sounds, I dont know if I should hold my breath on that one. Anyone else have anything on it?