Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree568Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2011, 12:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Martin's Seduction of the Gullible is one of the best books on film i have read.

Is that stupid film guide in the new Dark Side? it wasted 8 pages every single issue.
Old 18th July 2011, 12:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Martin's Seduction of the Gullible is one of the best books on film i have read.

Is that stupid film guide in the new Dark Side? it wasted 8 pages every single issue.
No, thank goodness.
Old 18th July 2011, 12:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Seduction Of The Gullible is a good book and my copy has fallen to bits through constant reference!

However the reviews are overly flippant, often smug and frequently misguided, in my opinion.. Martin's boorish, matey, "pub comedian" review style annoys the hell out of me. This style seems to be a trait of The Dark Side over the years. not really my thing. I'm more a Sight And Sound kind of guy!

Still an invaluable resource though.
Old 18th July 2011, 12:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Does this mean that the Dark Side Zombie book will be back in print? Always wished I'd got a copy of it. i've got the Cannibal one.

is it just me or has anyone noticed that the filmstrip set of photos on the left side of the Dark Side cover makes the mag look like a UK version of Fangoria?
According to allan bryce the film strip look at the side is from the much earlier castle of frankenstein from the 60's.

apparently the dark side zombie book is still available from their old website as is a lot of their other publications. the new site is just for upcoming stuff.
Old 18th July 2011, 12:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Seduction Of The Gullible is a good book and my copy has fallen to bits through constant reference!

However the reviews are overly flippant, often smug and frequently misguided, in my opinion.. Martin's boorish, matey, "pub comedian" review style annoys the hell out of me. This style seems to be a trait of The Dark Side over the years. not really my thing. I'm more a Sight And Sound kind of guy!

Still an invaluable resource though.
Snob!

I like JM review style especially when he used to have digs at internet forums.
Old 18th July 2011, 12:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yes, I am an unrepentant snob when it comes to matters cinematic!
Old 18th July 2011, 12:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I never liked Rick Melton's articles. He would do a great piece of art for The Vampire Lovers for example, then have a page of text saying how crap he thought the film was.

He did this to so many films i love that i can't bring myself to say any of his Arrow work is any good.
Old 18th July 2011, 01:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I never liked Rick Melton's articles. He would do a great piece of art for The Vampire Lovers for example, then have a page of text saying how crap he thought the film was.

He did this to so many films i love that i can't bring myself to say any of his Arrow work is any good.
I like his articles but I can't bring my self to say any of his Arrow artwork is any good because it's not. Well, one or two aren't bad.
Old 18th July 2011, 01:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
According to allan bryce the film strip look at the side is from the much earlier castle of frankenstein from the 60's.

apparently the dark side zombie book is still available from their old website as is a lot of their other publications. the new site is just for upcoming stuff.
I like the filmstrip look. Maybe my initial comment came across as almost a criticism, it sure wasn't meant to be.

I'll have a look at the old site. Thanks for the reply
Old 18th July 2011, 07:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

My quibbles with the new mag (not a lot mind you!):

- the DVD review section doesn't go in enough detail or mention flaws, it also doesn't give enough details (region, where to order them, comparisons with existing releases)

- Rick Melton's section is boring and I tend to skip it although I do like his artwork

I'm looking forward to the next issue! Hard to pass a month without my DS fix!

Like this? Share it using the links below!