Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree570Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2012, 03:18 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
WHS the store that refused to stock evil dead on vhs or dvd...

Never mind the mags like bizarre of loaded have you SEEN those womens real life story magazines, chock full of rape, muder and incest stories. In many ways so much worse than mags like dark side which are devoted to fictional horror and sci-fi!
thats right but WHS can't tell between real life and just horror fiction
a bit like the censors in a way
Old 15th January 2012, 06:42 PM
Cult Rookie

If I remember rightly, I think I read a blog post or something from Allan Bryce saying that magazines had to pay for a place in WH Smiths in the first place.

If that is the case why can't they have whatever they want on their covers?

Being the biggest chain of it's sort now that borders has popped it's clogs (Waterstones don't do many mags anyway) you'd think they would strive to provide as many diverse titles as possible.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:40 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
WHS the store that refused to stock evil dead on vhs or dvd...
That's strange, the local WHS must have missed out on that memo, as that's where I bought the Anchor Bay UK DVD from when it was first released. I remember it vividly, as it went straight in at number one in the DVD charts. Its popularity surprised me. When did WHS decide not to stock it? This was back in around 2002/3, I think, when I bought it.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
That's strange, the local WHS must have missed out on that memo, as that's where I bought the Anchor Bay UK DVD from when it was first released. I remember it vividly, as it went straight in at number one in the DVD charts. Its popularity surprised me. When did WHS decide not to stock it? This was back in around 2002/3, I think, when I bought it.
They definately refused to stock any video nasty titles on vhs, as for dvd, I thought they didn't as i've never seen one in my local but perhaps they relented?
Old 16th January 2012, 01:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
I remember the news years ago when WHS had stopped selling girlie mags but they are still selling (and no way am I against these!!) LOADED, NUTS, ZOO etc and of course these have nothing compared to PENTHOUSE et al.

But they still sell BIZARRE which show self mutilation, car crashes, S&M etc and these topics are advertised on the covers and they are offended by the cover of THE DARK SIDE?

They have sold FANGORIA and they have covers of gory images of demons etc.

WHS are just hypocrites and its all double standards with them, an establishment full of overpaid PC business people.
Based on what you say it does indeed seem as though WHS remains something of a two-faced retailer with certain mags staying on the shelves when it suits the company's lust for profit but the very same titles then being given the cold shoulder at the slightest hint of controversy.

Personally, i'm not interested in acquiring top shelf output but admittedly i do pick up NUTS and/or ZOO every now and then. However, TDS is the only mag i purchase regularly and if DVD And Blu-Ray World makes a comeback i'll consistently buy that too.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th January 2012, 04:03 PM
Ex-member

Default Dark side magazine.

saw the cover of a womens mag in WHS today with story about a woman saying she would rather have sex with her dad than her husband

the hypocrites in charge of what sells in WHS really are two faced bastards
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th May 2012, 01:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just picked up the latest Dark Side today, i was looking forward to reading about Strippers vs Werewolves. As i thought Jonathan Sothcotts Dead Cert was an enjoyable little flick.

Low and behold i get back and find despite it being the lead cover story there was only a dvd review.

Very poor show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullcover.jpg (89.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th June 2012, 11:04 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
I prefer the old style TDS and is it me or do these recently revamped issues suffer from a fair few errors? I also wish Brycie would make up his mind for definite and keep the above mag either monthly or bi-monthly. Such schizophrenic publishing schedule skullduggery is most irritating imo.
Old 21st June 2012, 07:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm looking forward to the next issue devoted to Hammer films.
Old 21st June 2012, 01:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
I'm looking forward to the next issue devoted to Hammer films.
I've nothing against the above company but i'm not big on Hammer personally. However, i'll still pick up this edition for any other articles i may find interesting.

Like this? Share it using the links below!