Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Comic Books (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/683-comic-books.html)

troggi 19th October 2013 08:43 PM

AND...

Talkin' 'bout Dredd and 2000AD in general you ought t' check out Planet Replicas Home they 'ave some cool gear!
I might just 'ave t' buy one o' these memory sticks from there Rogue Trooper 'Gunnar' 4gb USB BioChip Replica - Planet Replicas Ltd

Hawkmonger 19th October 2013 08:58 PM

Youll hear what I have to say about volume 3 on tuesday. Suffice say though, I love it, and don't mind that Judge Death was such a small story. It kinda of makes sense, considering how good and increasingly long each Death story is leading up to the unparalleled Necropolis (arguably where their appearances should have ended).

zane 21st October 2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 372610)
Must have been an error. It up to £8.99. Still good value, though I'm waiting until I reach Judge Dredd Complete Case files 5 and "Judge Death Lives!" Before I get to the point where Anderson got her spin-off.

Error or not, Psi Files Vol. 02 has been dispatched today to Germany for a mere 7,21 (shipping is expensive, but still a very good deal) :cool:

Hawkmonger 21st October 2013 09:22 PM

I believe that volume includes the rather good stories Shambala, Post cards from Space and Satan. Well worth that much.:nod:

Hawkmonger 23rd October 2013 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Weekly Digital Pulls 23/10/13

Small haul again....

2000AD- I really don't get what Damnation Station is actually about. Aliens who are stigmatised by humans and hunted as vermin are in fact the victims of "The Enemy" and while the rest of humanities forces focus on killing roaming aliens families a small group of 7 exist to wipe out "The Enemy"? OK, maybe this wasn't the best way to be introduced to a potentials long running series. Aquila on the other hand is just my cup of tea!

WSJ- Cross Menage returns for a finale one-shot. I found the series quite charming and was certainly better than the other slice of life series in the fold, the utterly horrible Nisokoi. It had good art, robust and varied characters, funny comedy and romance with genuine levity. Pity no one in Japan seemed to have boughht into it and it got canceled after 4 volumes.:coolblue: oh, and theres no One-Punch Man or Seraph of the End this week. ****.:pout:

EDIT: Oh yeah! Judge Dredd complete case files number 3! Well, as above really. This is when It think Wagner started to take the character and world seriously. It started to feel like the beginning of when you could tell it was a seminal punk comic book series, and not aimed at children. My favourite story besides Judge Death is probably Father Earth....or Sob Stories....or Blood of Satanus.....or UMPTY CANDY! Gosh, such a great collection!

Plus, finally Read Attack on Titan volume 2. Original idea after original idea after original idea. I can highly recommend this.

Hawkmonger 29th October 2013 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2000AD Prog 1855- new Dredd tale sounds just my cup of tea. People complain that The dideases aren't futuristic enough. But really, Cholera and Dissantry don't exactly change very much over time. Nice Richardson artwork, suits the feel very well.
Still not liking either Flesh or Damnation Station. But gutted that Aquila has ended so soon. Can't wait for the next series.

Cla$$War #6- Aaaaaaand thats a wrap. Filled with juicy quality. This has been an amazing series and frankly I want senior Williams to get onto that much belated second series as the cliffhanger just begs for it.

Samurai Jack #1- Samurai Jack was a favourite of mine when Cartoon Network actualy had more than one decent show on. Indeed, I've started to rewatch the series this week and it's stood the teste if time very well.
In this series Jack will be hunting down the key to time The Threads of Time in yet another attempt to return to his time zone. Essential reading for me and it played out like an episode of the series. Utterly wonderful.

WSJ #48- Seraph of the End continues to be a meh series for me. I like it's art a lot, but the story is just so samey. Also the production schedule looks set to be set off again next week. Last week there was no SotE or One-Punch Man. This week we have a one-shot OPM, but One Piece is off. Next week theres another OPM one-shot (i'm not complaining about that at least!) and SotE is off again! Even though there was a schedule for it to run for 5 weeks solid! Whats going on!?
That being said, this weeks Bleach really made me happy. Shinji Hirako came back. He's probably my favourite character in the entire series.

troggi 29th October 2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 374524)
2000AD Prog 1855- new Dredd tale sounds just my cup of tea. People complain that The dideases aren't futuristic enough. But really, Cholera and Dissantry don't exactly change very much over time. Nice Richardson artwork, suits the feel very well.
Still not liking either Flesh or Damnation Station. But gutted that Aquila has ended so soon. Can't wait for the next series.

Now, young Hawklet, you know that I don't always agree with you but this time I'm with you on "Damnation Station". The first series was great and showed some potential but so far this series has been a bit of a mess. I know what they're gettin' at, I just wish they'd go about it with a little more exposition! It feels like they're triyin' too hard for a big reveal at the end without givin' us some small insights along the way.

Good call on "Dredd", the artwork is tremendous and goes well with the story. You're right about the diseases too, cholera and dysentery were good enough for our ancestors why not for our descendants?

"Aquila" was a tad brief wasn't it? It seems like it is setting up a great story arc though! Fingers crossed.

"Flesh" is still a thorn in your side, eh? Ne'er mind kiddo, it won't be around for ever! Personally, I'm signed up f' the rodeo, pal!

The oddity in the pack is still "Brass Sun" for me. I'm enjoying the whole "steampunk" feel to it whilst not quite liking the story as much, which is weird!

Let's see what's in store this week eh?

Hawkmonger 29th October 2013 11:21 PM

I could really do with reading the first Damnation Station series. If it ever get's collected i'll add it to my purchase pile. Al Ewing with Simon Davis? My dream duo!

Aquila has the potential to be my new Nikolai Dante. Ggggg~RENNIE has't quite hit it's stride yet though, but an over hanging story arc reminiscent of Slaine's Invasion's series could spell the dawn of a classic. Also, did they get a Blackhawk The Intergalactic Gladiator reference in last week? Gotta wonder whats going on there....

Flesh has all the ingredients of an AMAZING series and I should really enjoy it. But Pat seem's to completely miss the point that it's supposed to be a 70's pulp fun, not one of his Toxic! 90's eco-stories. Maybe he's just getting on a bit, I really like Flesh book 1, and Legend of Shammana to. But Texas, Midnight Cowboys and Badlanders are hardly the best instalments in the Flesh saga. Nice art mind, Mckay can draw a ****ing nice Dinosaur.

I loved Brass Sun first time round, but after a great first episode this series seem's to be a bit flat. I'm still hooked on it, just not quite as much as I was before.

Troggi, what format do you use to read your comics? Digital or paperback?

troggi 30th October 2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 374571)

Troggi, what format do you use to read your comics? Digital or paperback?

I'm old skool, Hawk! I like my reading material to take up actual shelf space. I understand that electronic literature is the way forward but there is nothing like the feel and smell of new print and, although there are many ways to lose paper-based literature (i,e, fire, flood, pests, etc.) I will never have to delete an older piece to make room for a new piece. My Kindle Fire comes out 4 or 5 times a day but rarely for reading, too many other distractions!

Hawkmonger 31st October 2013 07:48 AM

Yeah, can't beat the smell and feel of new comic book day. Sadly, being a student even if I used the lovely Disposable Heroes, I still wouldn't have the money and space for so many weeklies and monthlies. I still buy trade's (i'll be uploading a video in the next couple of weeks with my comic, dvd and bd pick ups) but honestly I can't spare the shelf space for anything else.mi also save a little bit of money. Not a lot but enough to justify the switch for me.

Here's a list of upcoming titles i'll be picking up from Nov 13 a Feb 14....
- Miracle Man Reboot (Jan 14 - ???)
- Revolutionary War (Jan 14 - Aug 14)
- The Maxx....MAXXIMISED (Nov 13 - ???)
- Doctor Who IDW Winter Annual 2013 (Dec 13)
- Rogue Trooper IDW (Jan 14 - ???)
- Black Science (Nov 13 - ???)

Added to this, Mars Attacks Judge Dredd, All Crime comics and possibly Rocket Girl will all tie up in December.