Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Comic Books (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/683-comic-books.html)

the blob 18th June 2011 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 158795)

How about StarLord? :)

Yep, they're in the loft. Tornado was another short-lived one.

Mojo 19th June 2011 07:48 PM

Yeah - I remember Starlord too!

And wasn't IPC's Action comic banned / or ceased publication because it was too violent?

Earthworm Swiss 3rd August 2011 03:13 AM

I love(d) reading 'The Mask', and recently bought the graphic novel collections for them. It's so much more twisted than Jim Carrey's version (not to say that isn't excellent), and the classic humour still holds up. Worth a read!

keirarts 3rd August 2011 07:07 AM

I buy graphic novels rather than individual titles these days, though I have a back room full of comics including the jason vs leatherface topps comics, a total run of preacher, loads of hellblazer and other vertigo stuff.
I also have a small mountain of 2000ad.

Heroes wise I go for marvel. Anything by mark millar or brian michael bendis,

Its bloody expensive being me, theres no comic shop near me, but a pretty cool 2nd hand place that seems to get the graphics in every now and then.

Daemonia 3rd August 2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 159089)
And wasn't IPC's Action comic banned / or ceased publication because it was too violent?

Yes, it was banned. The most troublesome story at the time being Kids Rule OK, which was about youth gang violence in a lawless society. I rather liked it. :)

It did re-appear after a hiatus, but was heavily toned down and eventually merged with Battle to become Battle-Action.

wayfarer 3rd August 2011 12:37 PM

I have a huge number of back issues in boxes that I need to get rid of but I haven't found a way of doing so without getting stiffed on the price of some of the rarities that I own.

Splatterdragon73 22nd August 2011 10:31 AM

I purchased comics from roughly '88 to '97 and really only keep 'em now for any potential collectable value they may have. For the sake of my two young nephews more than anything else. I more or less don't care about the relevant comics i own anymore and probably the most desirable title i have is a nondescript issue of Daredevil signed by Stan 'The Man' Lee himself. All the superhero action i keep stored in boxes is now merely an investment for my loved ones.:)

Splatterdragon73 10th September 2011 11:13 AM

Discount bookstore The Works in Gateshead's The Metro Centre have several recent Marvel Comics pocket book reprints for sale at £1.99 each or three for a fiver. So i grabbed two volumes of The Fantastic Four and a single Spider Man variant. Mainly for the legendary artwork of Jack Kirby and John Romita respectively.:)

The 4th Fella 24th February 2012 12:48 PM

I collect comics. Along with James Bond merchandise and horror films, they're another drain on my wallet. Just today I called into my local Comic Shop and bought Danger Girl: Revolver #1 & Danger Girl: Revolver #2. I was surprised that the Revolver series has allready started, I knew that there was new DG coming for 2012, but I didn't expect it this soon.

Drakie79 2nd April 2012 02:01 AM

I stopped buying sadly, however my Avatar Press, Rebel Studios and Verotik collection is my pride amongst what I bought. Especially Faust: Love Of The Damned.

Ranarchy 9th April 2012 09:24 AM

I love old horror comics!!!! Here's me with my issue #1 of Creepy!!!

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...hy-d35b5lo.jpg

keirarts 9th April 2012 12:09 PM

just picked up a very nice har box release of the 30 days of night graphics. All 3 books in a slipcase signed by steve niles and ltd to 2000 copies. I wonder how many people will freak out when they find out I opened and read it!

The 4th Fella 28th April 2012 10:22 PM

Latest purchases:

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2...-coldwar01.jpg

http://media.ideaanddesignworks.com/...r_04_Cover.jpg

http://westfieldcomics.com/blog/wp-c...e-Shadow-1.jpg

keirarts 29th April 2012 05:58 AM

As I live nowhere in the vicinity of a comic book store I have to stick to trade paperbacks, but I didnt know Garth ennis was writing the shadow. I bet thats incredible!

The 4th Fella 29th April 2012 08:01 AM

I'm not familiar with Ennis' work, but going by this first issue, I find his Shadow to be a little excessive with the violence.

Early on in the comic, The Shadow encounters a group of crims, and shoots each one three to four times in the chest, and once in the head. I'm not a prude, but that just seems a bit too much from The Shadow. Once in the head each would've been enough, as it would save ammo.

Susan Foreman 16th April 2013 10:49 PM

'Batgirl' DC Comics Reboot Includes Transgender Character Alysia Yeoh - On Top Magazine | Gay news & entertainment

Hawkmonger 16th April 2013 10:53 PM

Nobody tell Littlejohn!

Hawkmonger 24th April 2013 07:38 AM

15 Attachment(s)
My weekly digital comic pick ups:

Dark Horse Presents #23
IDW Judge Dredd Year One #2
Manhattan Project #11
East of West 2 #1
Weekly Shonen Jump 21
BPRD: Vampire #1 and #2

Paper Back Copies:

2000AD prog 1829
Judge Dredd Megazine 335

TPB and GN's:

Appleseed volume 1 and 2
Valentina and the Magic Lantern
Marshal Law Deluxe Hard Cover Edition
Tokyo Babylon Volume 1
Doctor Who: Nemesis of the Daleks

EDIT: Updated to include a few things I forgot.

Hawkmonger 28th April 2013 03:52 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Pre-orders:

Judge Dredd: The Day of Chaos Endgame
Judge Dredd: Mutents in Mega-city One
Zombo: You Smell of Crime, and i'm the Deoderant!
The Best of Milligan and McCarthy
Charleys War volume 10
Tokyo Babylon 2
Sailor Moon volume 11*
Tegami Bachi volume 13 and 14

*Because shut up!

zane 28th April 2013 04:36 PM

I have a question and I hope it's in the right place here (I used google, but didn't really find the information I was looking for):

I just started reading Judge Dredd The Complete Case Files. I will finish Vol. 1 soon and I'm eager to buy Vol. 2 now.
Question: Is Judge Dredd generally printed in black & white and are all the Complete Case Files Volumes thus collecting the series in their original form?

(I also own a German translation of some Judge Dredd stories and they are in color)

Thanks in advance!

Hawkmonger 28th April 2013 04:44 PM

The Judge Dredd Complete Case Files are printed in B&W as thats how the majority of the page's where printed originaly. As due to paper stock it would be expensive to print the few colour pages in colour, they opted to go for complete B&W. The German edition you have is a translation of the colourised Eagle reprints most likely, very rare, keep onto it! Up until volume 13 it's all B&W on the same paper stock, after Twister in volume 13 it's predominently colour from there on in.

Hope this helped Zane.:)

zane 28th April 2013 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you a lot!

The German collection was done in 1982 by the Dutch (?) publisher Rijperman and collects four stories ranging from 6 to 15 pages.

Hawkmonger 28th April 2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 338229)
Thank you a lot!

The German collection was done in 1982 by the Dutch (?) publisher Rijperman and collects four stories ranging from 6 to 15 pages.

Never seen that collection before. If it's from the mid-80's though, it's liably sourced by the Eagle coloured reprints.;)

zane 28th April 2013 05:36 PM

So by reading The Complete Case Files, I basically get all the essential Judge Dredd, right?
Is it worth getting the first Vol. 1 of The Restricted Files now, or should I save it up for later?

Hawkmonger 28th April 2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 338238)

So by reading The Complete Case Files, I basically get all the essential Judge Dredd, right?
Is it worth getting the first Vol. 1 of The Restricted Files now, or should I save it up for later?

Restriced Files have no real bearing on continuity and are just annuel specials. Get them if you wan't a nice mix of comedy and typical action (they get progressivly poorer) but your money is better spent on The Complete Case Files or some of the newer collection such as Mandroid, Chief Judges Man, and Incubus.

keirarts 28th April 2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 338224)
I have a question and I hope it's in the right place here (I used google, but didn't really find the information I was looking for):

I just started reading Judge Dredd The Complete Case Files. I will finish Vol. 1 soon and I'm eager to buy Vol. 2 now.
Question: Is Judge Dredd generally printed in black & white and are all the Complete Case Files Volumes thus collecting the series in their original form?

(I also own a German translation of some Judge Dredd stories and they are in color)

Thanks in advance!

The early judge dredd was all origionally black and white, when you get to later progs it goes full colour. Personally the early B+W stuff is some of my favourite dredd. I'm one of the rare Walter the wobot fans!

zane 28th April 2013 07:03 PM

Yeah, I really enjoy Walter too! I also generally like those early stories quite a lot. Some are only average, but there is also a lot of great stuff like the revolution of the robots. And I kinda like that Judge Dredd shows a little bit of affection from time to time and even smiles in some ocassions.

Hawkmonger 28th April 2013 07:07 PM

Walter the Wobot > Jar-Jar Binks
At least Walter actualy does stuff, he kicked a perp once. :lol:
Oh, and wait until he [SPOILER ALERT!] Start's the second robot war [SPOILER ALERT!].

troggi 16th May 2013 06:12 PM

I realise that the majority of my fellow nerds are constantly "in the know" about these things but...Watch the Full Trailer For Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Avengers | News | Marvel.com

:woot::dance::rockon:

pedromonkey 16th May 2013 07:34 PM

Found all my comics yesterday, about 400 i think, ended up boxing them up and storing them, Quite a few issue 1's in there too.

Hawkmonger 16th May 2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 342074)
Found all my comics yesterday, about 400 i think, ended up boxing them up and storing them, Quite a few issue 1's in there too.

Any chance of a pic or two, Pedro?

keirarts 16th May 2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 342050)
I realise that the majority of my fellow nerds are constantly "in the know" about these things but...Watch the Full Trailer For Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Avengers | News | Marvel.com

:woot::dance::rockon:

New joss hwedon tv series AND its marvel?!

Consider me VERY happy!! :rockon:

pedromonkey 17th May 2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 342095)
Any chance of a pic or two, Pedro?

I'll see what i can do.

Hawkmonger 17th May 2013 07:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Nice one Pedro.

My newest PO's:
Doctor Who: Prisoner of Time v.1 + v.2
Doctor Who: IDW Series 3 v.2
Slaine: The Book of the Scars
ABC Warriors: The Volgan War Book 3

Hawkmonger 2nd August 2013 09:35 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Recent comic book pick ups!
*2000AD Prog 1843 (Under Pressure!)
-Judge Dredd
-Defoe
-Sinister Dexter
-Age of Wolf III
-The Ten Seconders
*Judge Dredd Megazine 338
-Judge Dredd
-Tales from the Cursed Earth
-Streets of Dan Francisco
-Bob Byrnes Twisted Tales
-Insurrection III
-Night Zero (GN Reprint)
*Strip Magazine 2.2
-Black Ops Extreme
-Crucible
-Love Hurts
-Black Dragon-Operation Inferno
-Denizens
-Warpaint
-Cosmic Patrol and Bogey-Man Bob!
*Attack on Titan volumes 1 and 2
-Chapters 1 to 9
*D.Gray-Man 3-in-1 volume 1
-Chapters 1 to 26
*The Ten Seconders: American Dream
- American Dream and Make Believe
*Caballistics Inc.: Going Underground
- Going Underground, Moving In, Breaking Out, and Downtime
*Steve Ditko's Monsters: Gorgo
-Complete run
*Doctor Who: The Child of Time
-Supernature, Planet Bollywood, The Golden Ones, The Proffesor, the queen and the bookshop, The Screams of Death, Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night, Forever Dreaming, Apotheosis, and The Child of Time.

troggi 3rd August 2013 10:47 AM

As "Room 237" hasn't finished the big move yet I haven't picked up my monthly quota of nerd fodder but issues 42 & 43 of the "Ultimate Marvel Graphic Novel Collection" from Hatchette Partworks (http://www.hachettepartworks.com/our...el-collection/) have just landed on the doormat. This month is "The Death of Captain America" and "Punisher: Welcome Back Frank, Part II" (Part I was superb).

Apart from the weekly 2000AD and my monthly order at "Room 237" I have to wait until the 15th for "CLiNT", the first since April or May, "Batman: The Dark Knight" from Titan and the Marvel Collector Series "Incredible Hulks". The anticipation is building folks!

Rondadoronron 3rd August 2013 11:31 AM

Punisher War Zone

3 Attachment(s)
Just started re reading Punisher War Zone

troggi 3rd August 2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondadoronron (Post 356221)
Just started re reading Punisher War Zone

Tee, hee! I've just noticed your sig. When I was in the RN everybody knew me as Baldrick and yes I'd help sailors out, I was a team player! :lol::lol:

Susan Foreman 3rd August 2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 356224)
Tee, hee! I've just noticed your sig. When I was in the RN everybody knew me as Baldrick and yes I'd help sailors out, I was a team player! :lol::lol:

There always used to be scantily clad young ladies swarming around Portsmouth dockyard gates whenever big American boats came to the city!

troggi 3rd August 2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 356337)
There always used to be scantily clad young ladies swarming around Portsmouth dockyard gates whenever big American boats came to the city!

My sister-in-law once brought a Yank sailor round to us. He was amazed at how adult 2000AD was compared to US comics. Oh, and true to the running joke on "Spitting Image" at that time he didn't know who the Vice President was! :lol: