Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree658Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2015, 07:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default no moore money

Listening to a recent (well year or so ago) Alan Moore interview, He refuses to take any payments or royalties for any film adaptations of his work . Due to hating the adaptations, although judging by some of the sizable cheques he's been offered I think he even regrets his stance, but stands by his decision.

Old 1st December 2015, 07:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Listening to a recent (well year or so ago) Alan Moore interview, He refuses to take any payments or royalties for any film adaptations of his work . Due to hating the adaptations, although judging by some of the sizable cheques he's been offered I think he even regrets his stance, but stands by his decision.
Does he give the money to charity or does he just flat-out refuses the money?
troggi likes this.
Old 1st December 2015, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Does he give the money to charity or does he just flat-out refuses the money?
If I remember correctly he flat out refuses , Ill have to re-listen to the interview to be 100% sure. Unless he was joking but it didn't sound like it. He certainly hated From Hell so nothing would surprise me.
MacBlayne and troggi like this.

Old 1st December 2015, 07:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
If I remember correctly he flat out refuses , Ill have to re-listen to the interview to be 100% sure. Unless he was joking but it didn't sound like it. He certainly hated From Hell so nothing would surprise me.
I know he despises his adaptations (although, I think he was somewhat interested in Watchmen when Terry Gilliam and David Hayter were doing it as they were honest with him about what they attempting to achieve). However, I think it was David Gibbons who said, in relation to royalties, that Moore simply handed Warner Brothers a list of charities and that was that.
Old 1st December 2015, 10:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Isn't it strange that genius in a person is nearly always compensated for by an eccentricity whereas plain, everyday intelligence is nearly always accompanied by some form of "nerdishness"? Don't all jump down my throat, it's only a "generalised observation" not a system of belief!

Monster Magnet
Old 1st December 2015, 11:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default alan moore

Heres the bit in the interview where Stewart Lee asks about the League,and he explains about the money.

SL: I'm assuming you haven't seen the film of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

AM: No, no, no, no. (audience laughs) In fact, I'm getting worse instead of better with regard to the film. That was a spectacular tantrum, even by my standards, I surprised myself.

I've decided I don't want anything more to do with films at all. After all the stuff with "The League," there'd been some minor law suit with somebody claiming that I had gotten the idea from an American Hollywood screen writer and you can imagine how I felt about that. So, I felt, if I'm going to react I might as well over react. (audience laughs) So, I said, right, that's it, no more Hollywood films. And if they do make films of my work, then I want my name taken off them and I want all the money given to the artists. I thought, God, that sounds principled (audience laughs) and almost heroic! (audience laughs) Then I got a phone call from Karen Berger the next Monday, she's an editor at DC Comics, and she said, "Yeah, we're going to be sending you a huge amount of money before the end of the year because they're making this film if your Constantie character with Keanu Reeves." I said, "Right, OK. (audience laughs) Well, take my name off of it and distribute my money amongst the other artists. I felt, well, that was difficult, but I did it and I feel pretty good about meself. Then I saw David Gibbons who I had done "Watchmen" with and he was saying, "Oh Alan, guess what, they're making the 'Watchmen' film." And I said, with tears streaming down my face, "Take my name off of it David. (sniffles)" (audience laughs) "You have all the money." Then I got a check for the "V for Vendetta" film. It was just, this was within three days!
MacBlayne, keirarts and troggi like this.

Old 1st December 2015, 11:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Isn't it strange that genius in a person is nearly always compensated for by an eccentricity whereas plain, everyday intelligence is nearly always accompanied by some form of "nerdishness"? Don't all jump down my throat, it's only a "generalised observation" not a system of belief!

Credit to Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 1st December 2015, 11:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It is my belief that Alan Moore is a certifiable genius and fruitcake. Thankfully I like a bit of fruitcake, genius or not!

Monster Magnet
Old 1st December 2015, 11:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
It is my belief that Alan Moore is a certifiable genius and fruitcake. Thankfully I like a bit of fruitcake, genius or not!
You should check out the Frankie Boyle interviewing Grant Morrison, I'm really not sure who is the maddest.
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.

Old 1st December 2015, 11:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
You should check out the Frankie Boyle interviewing Grant Morrison, I'm really not sure who is the maddest.
Is that the one where Morrison proposes a superhero who draws the dole?
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!