Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Comic Books (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/683-comic-books.html)

Hawkmonger 6th September 2013 10:39 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Weekly digital comic book haul 06/09/13.

2000AD prog 1848
Weekly Shonen Jump #39 and #40
Doctor Who Prisoners of Time #1
Hetalia Axis Powers #1 and #2
Cla$$war #1
Nova v4 #1
Iron Man v5 #1
Attack on Titan v3

troggi 6th September 2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 363936)
Weekly digital comic book haul 06/09/13.

2000AD prog 1848
Weekly Shonen Jump #39 and #40
Doctor Who Prisoners of Time #1
Hetalia Axis Powers #1 and #2
Cla$$war #1
Nova v4 #1
Iron Man v5 #1
Attack on Titan v3

Persevere with "Iron Man", Hawk, it gets a whole lot better!

zane 6th September 2013 08:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got these goodies at a Spanish flea market. I was very happy, because they feature some of the early appearances of one of my favourite characters - Lobo.

Hawkmonger 7th September 2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 364054)
Persevere with "Iron Man", Hawk, it gets a whole lot better!

I believe a certain Bount...sorry, Freelance peacekeeping Agent appeares by the name of Deaths Head, no?:woot:

troggi 9th September 2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 364241)
I believe a certain Bount...sorry, Freelance peacekeeping Agent appeares by the name of Deaths Head, no?:woot:

Yup! :nod: It looks to me like the first few issues wer for tying up loose ends from "Extremis" and the next 3 or 4 setting up the main story arc, which is a doozy! ENJOY!

Hawkmonger 15th September 2013 07:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Weekly Digital Comic Book update 14/09/13

2000AD Prog 1849
: Everything concludes. A virtualy Dredd-less Judge Dredd story has the ending I predicted a month ago, but thats not really a bad thing as Bender is prime Dredd villeinige to the bone and I lookforward to Wagner bringing him back. Age of Wolf is finished once and for all thank god, as does the rather meager celabration that was Slaine: Book of Scars. Still, one last outing for langley before handing it over to Simon Davis. Looking forward to that. And then The Ten Seconders....phwow.:nod:
Weekly Shonen Jump UK #41: Bleach is back! Hurray! My first ever comic book series enters it's final run as the evil Vandenreich set's to wipe out the soul reaper race. Elsewhere Jaco: The Galactic Patrolman continues to be the heart of the comic, while One-Punch Man is best ****ing thing since sliced bread. One Piece is wonderful as ever. World Trigger and Blue Exorcist are two fun albait slightly filler series. Toriko....exists. Dragon Ball Z is....****ing Dragon Ball Z. And all for 50p a week! Best ****ing bargain out there!
Cla$$war #2: HOLLY **** BALLS! A comic that uses a superhero, American setting...to show everything that is wrong with the American way of life and culture. It take's ball's to write something like that. And it takes balls of brass to make it THIS good.
Locke and Key: Volume 1. Welcome to Lovecraft: I'll post a full review tomorrow. Suffice to say though, best £2.99 of my life. :woot:

Next week:
2000AD Prog 1850
WSJ #42
Hetalia Axis Powers #3
Mars Attacks the Transfomers! #1

Hawkmonger 29th September 2013 05:01 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Still gotta read #1 of Saga, Manhattan Projects, and No Place Like Home, but heres this weeks pulls...Minus the Prog as I need to renew my sub.

One thing no one ever told me about going digital. Practice extreme self control...

WSJ continues to be top bargain at 50p a week for, well, Onepunch-Man, Jaco The Galactic Patrolman and Bleach are all hitting the spot at the moment and anyone of them is worth the cover price alone. One Piece was absent this week, unlike YuGiOh (shame) thank god its monthly. Toriko is really starting to get my interest, though the damn science lessons do get quite grating. World Trigger is a nice staple, as per, like a new pair of slippers that still have a few pinches to work out. And False Love....really am getting quite tired of it by this point. Replace it with the wonderful Bakuman or Gintama any day.

Darkstalkers #0 was a 10 page intro to Udons take on Capcoms video game series. Never played the games, but I'm a fan of the anime, and that was enough for me to give it a try. And it entertainingly light fluff, though the inner Jim Cambell in me has grown quite tired of big breasted maidens such as this. It was fun though, and thats all. It'll stay around for now.

All Crime Comics #1 was a wonderful homage to the classic crime thrillers of yestercentury. Easily my fave pick of the week and I'm looking forward to these immensely.

Cla$$War #3 continues the brilliance of its previous issues as I reach the half way point, while Hetalia Axis Powers is being dropped fortnightly to when ever I need a good laugh. Its good, but not two weekly material.

Godzilla IDW Ongoing vol. 1 was a great alternative universe take on the classic Toho monster mash. Enjoyed it immensely and got the next two volumes while they where cheap.

Mars Attacks the Transfomers (!) does what is says on the tin, and its ****ing glorious. Matt Frank is the master of getting the usually expressionless Cybertronions to pull a menagerie of amazing facial features and his martians aren't bad either!

Hawkmonger 3rd October 2013 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Small haul this week, only the weeklies.

WSJ features the conclusion to Jaco, which I will miss something terrible. Adventurer mentioned he wasnt sure if hee njoyed the Dragon Ball links, just to clarify, ALL Toriyamas manga is set in the DB universe and I can highly reccomend DB over DBZ as its a classic adventure manga much more in the vein of Jaco than its sequel. Elsewhere Toriko pisses me off with its quite tasteless depiction of female life (which seemingly involves cooking and looking prity while reading. **** that.) and Nisokoi continues the downwards spiral. On the other hand, I actualy enjoyed this weeks Naruto for once, though I cant think why, Bleach featured some damn good action scenes, OnePunch-Man has another good crack at an old super hero comic book trope (the ungrateful rescuee), World Trigger is a nice addition to the rauster even if it doesnt contribute anything original per say. Oh, and an ad for a new series starting next week. Judging by the outline, itll be either Buso Renkin or Psyren. Both series are long concluded though so I cant see why it would be any of them and would rather have Cross Menage back.

In 2000AD, Dredd is lead by Kilgore along with Joyce and Pax into the undercity where they encounter the soldiers of the Goblin King utilising stolen judge manta tanks lost during Chaos Day. Michael Carroll writes good Dredd and is for my money, one of the two natural replacements to the might Wagner. Nice art to. In Brass Sun the search continues for the note book that could save the solar system as an all out invasion breaks out with The Duchess determined to over through the corrupt Duke. For my money, this has potential to be one of the greatest things ever published in the prog. Sublime story telling and sumptuous art, its a classic from the off. Flesh can **** off with its nasty, monolog, sexist tail tucked between its legs. It should be immensely enjoyable, instead its weighed under by Pat Mills tendency to include bloody revolutionary opinions. Damnation Station is enjoyable and Aquila is great fun as per.

troggi 5th October 2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 369786)

In 2000AD, Dredd is lead by Kilgore along with Joyce and Pax into the undercity where they encounter the soldiers of the Goblin King utilising stolen judge manta tanks lost during Chaos Day. Michael Carroll writes good Dredd and is for my money, one of the two natural replacements to the might Wagner. Nice art to. In Brass Sun the search continues for the note book that could save the solar system as an all out invasion breaks out with The Duchess determined to over through the corrupt Duke. For my money, this has potential to be one of the greatest things ever published in the prog. Sublime story telling and sumptuous art, its a classic from the off. Flesh can **** off with its nasty, monolog, sexist tail tucked between its legs. It should be immensely enjoyable, instead its weighed under by Pat Mills tendency to include bloody revolutionary opinions. Damnation Station is enjoyable and Aquila is great fun as per.

While I can agree with you, young Hawklet, on "Dredd", "Aquilla", and "Damnation Station" I'm finding the current story arc of "Brass Sun" a little slow. The first book drew me in and I enjoyed the unique ideas behind it but I'll reserve judgement on this until further down the line. As for "Flesh" and revolutionary opinions well... don't forget that there is as much revolutionary action in "Brass Sun", "Aquilla" and "Insurrection" (over in "The Megazine")! Revolution is the backbone of the "Flesh" story, without it there's no conflict, just cowboys herding dinosaurs!

Sometimes y've just got to go with the flow instead o' readin' too much into a story. Dissectin' stories f' t' sake of it is what ruined English Lit for me!

Hawkmonger 5th October 2013 08:42 AM

By revolutionary, troggi, I meant anti-establishment. Now don't get me wrong, i'm fairly anti-establishment myself, but Mr Mills puts subtext in in such a heavy handed manner, produces dialogue that is so utterly clunky, that its offsetting and alienating.