Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree658Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2008, 05:50 PM
Cult Rookie

I collect the UK Marvel comics 'Collector's Editions' - Avengers United, Astonishing Spiderman, Essential X-men, Mighty World of Marvel, Fantastic Four Adventures, Wolverine and Deadpool, Marvel legends and Ultimate Spiderman and X-men. I'm also collecting the current run of Hulk (red hulk) from the States. I've just started reading 2000AD, which is a superb comic.

I'm currently writing a Future Shock story to see if I can get it included in 2000AD and I'm writing my own horror/comedy comic book series. If it ends up being good then I will do my best to see if I can get it published.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:44 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Used to love COMMANDO when i was a pup-has this made a comeback?
I don't think they ever stopped publishing it - one of the few surviving British weeklies, so I've heard.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 15th September 2008, 01:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenfanDVD View Post

I'm currently writing a Future Shock story to see if I can get it included in 2000AD and I'm writing my own horror/comedy comic book series. If it ends up being good then I will do my best to see if I can get it published.
Good luck with 2000AD Greenfan. I've always wanted to illustrate for them, I've done loads of stuff but whenever it's come to submitting it I've always got cold feet and not gone through with it. One of these days i'll actually get something sent off.
Hope your Future Shock story gets published, thats a good way to get into it, a lot of 2000AD's regular writers/ artists started off on Future Shocks.
Old 15th September 2008, 04:43 PM
Cultist in Training

I collect some of those UK collectors editions too Greenfan. I still buy the occasional graphic novel as well and have over 50 of the 'Essential' big black and white phonebooks by Marvel. They collect old comics in 500 page chunks for about a tenner and provide plenty of nostalgic reading!
Old 27th September 2008, 06:26 PM
Cultist

I'm collecting the Halloween comics at the moment. Only read the four-part Halloween: Nightdance, which I was getting disappointed with, but the fourth and final part made the first three parts more better in hindsight.
Old 27th September 2008, 06:54 PM
Cultist in Training

I'm a huge fan of the E.C. horror comics of the 1950's.

I have the complete reprint series' of;

TALES FROM THE CRYPT
THE VAULT OF HORROR
THE HAUNT OF FEAR
CRIME SUSPENSTORIES
SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES

...and a few originals.

I also collect other precode horror comics.

Old 2nd February 2010, 11:05 PM
Cult Rookie

Smile Day Of The Dead: Desertion

Hey folks,

Barry Keating here, co-writer of Day Of The Dead: Desertion, the comic that's going to be appearing inside the 25th Anniversary Edition of Day Of The Dead on Blu-ray in March. Just wanted to drop in and say hello.

I don't want to give too much away and spoil the surprise, but we're hoping this twisted origin tale starring Bub will blow you away! It's been a blast working on it with all the guys at Arrow, my co-writer Stefan Hutchinson and artist Jeff Zornow, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when it lands on shelves. I'm so chuffed it's out there now, I've been busting to talk about it!

You'll find me lurking around these boards all the time so feel free to get in touch to talk comics, zombies and gore.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:35 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Damn it, I wish i had a blue ray player to get that comic!!

I have a decent collection. Anyone read Preacher? Holy crap, crazy stuff!
I collect Stephen King comics and also have a decent amount of Commandos, horror comics...

I used to buy the Beano.
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:17 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_22 View Post
..I really need to get more of Clive Barkers stuff.
I vaguely remember a graphic novel (series?), Tapping The Vein, which I think were based on Clive Barker's stories from Books Of Blood.

Nowadays, my comic-book reading/ collecting is usually limited to collections or graphic novels of Marvel's revisionist superhero books, like Ultimate Avengers... Dark Avengers is another good series (stuff published in h/c or p/b by Titan). I liked some of the Civil War story-arc, but Secret Invasion epic was better, overall.

Most recently, I enjoyed House Of M and Utopia (both X-Men related).

I don't often read film tie-in comic-adaptations and only a few proper 'horror' comics (alt. world DC titles like Batman: Crimson Mist - where he's a vampire, was good), but I was a big fan of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, and have a couple of John Constantine: Hellblazer titles.

On manga front, I think Ghost In The Shell (I also liked the movie series) is one of best SF styled comics... I enjoyed Frank Miller's Sin City books, but all-time favourite comic-book series is probably Neil Gaiman's The Sandman.

Do you comics-fans prefer the flat four-colour style of comics' artwork, or fully-painted stuff (like Alex Ross' work)?
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:25 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by broonage View Post
Damn it, I wish i had a blue ray player to get that comic!!

I have a decent collection. Anyone read Preacher? Holy crap, crazy stuff!
I collect Stephen King comics and also have a decent amount of Commandos, horror comics...

I used to buy the Beano.
You can still pick it up, you just won't be able to experience all the cool stuff on the discs. Maybe it's time to upgrade? I use my PS3 for Blu-rays these days, but players aren't that expensive.

And yeah - LOVE Preacher, Garth Ennis is possibly my favourite writer out there and a fellow Irishman. I've picked up a few King adaps over the years but the best ones for me were The Stand and Dark Tower books Marvel did.

And I used to read the Beano too!

Like this? Share it using the links below!