Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Comic Books (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/683-comic-books.html)

Halloween_22 1st September 2008 11:22 PM

Comic Books
 
Comic Books

Anyone else on here collect comics? After horror films it's my second biggest passion. I've collected them since I was 5 years old when I used to get 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' and 'Thundercats' comics. Since then I've collected just about everything from Marvel (Howard the Duck and Uncanny, essential and amazing X-Men in particular), 2000 AD and Judge Dredd Megazine, Swamp Thing, DC (Batman, Deathstroke Terminator, The Demon etc.), Star Wars (Classic adventures, Boba Fett, Dark Empire) and more recently the new horror comics from New Line etc. (Army of Darkness, AOD VS Re-Animator, AOD VS Darkman, TCM, Elm Street, Friday the 13th)

Anyone else? Anyone fancy discussing?

Halloween_22 2nd September 2008 11:23 AM

The Army of Darkness comics started out brilliantly following on from where the film left off. The AOD VS Re-Animator/ Darkman mini-series were also great. However, it seems they're struggling for idea's at the moment as last time I went into Travelling Man they had a new one out Army of Darkness VS Xena Warrior Princess :rofl: I decided to give it a miss.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 3rd September 2008 01:25 PM

I've only got the Friday The 13th Comic mate - I really like it thou! :)

bedorca 3rd September 2008 09:24 PM

I have an enormous pile of Dark Horse comics.

Mostly Aliens, Predator, The Terminator and Robocop

Would love to collect more but don't have the dough!!!

Love the Army of Darkness series too H22. Very atmospheric

Halloween_22 3rd September 2008 10:45 PM

I've been collecting the AOD series from the beginning. They released each issue with like 4 alternate covers though, unfortunatley couldn't afford to collect them all but I've got multiples of some (if there was an alternate cover I really liked I'd pick it up aswell).

Not actually got many Dark Horse comics. I've got the Batman VS Predator crossover series and Judge Dredd/ Predator one but apart from that not much else.

I've got that too Iluvdvd's. It's my favourite out of the New Line comics, wasn't too keen on any of the TCM series they brought out, the NOES one was alright though.

Matt 4th September 2008 10:28 AM

I have a few comics. I don't have the dedication to get them regularly so I mostly stick to the graphic novel collections.

I just received Batman: The Long Halloween in the post yesterday. Haven't got through much of it yet, but so far so good. From what I have been reading recently I've found that it's the Batman books that I really get into.

In the way of horror comics, I really love The Last Christmas, a post-apocalypse story of Santa Vs Zombies, which might become a film at some point. Also got Jason Vs. Leatherface from eBay a while ago, which is terrible but also quite good fun.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Freddy Vs Jason Vs Ash collection and the Werewolf Women of the SS series, which is by Rob Zombie and based on his Grindhouse trailer.

gax 4th September 2008 10:34 AM

i have Hellraiser universe comics.Hellraiser,book of the dammed, the harrowers and other clive barker comics Rawhead Rex,yattering and jack,nightbreed,books of blood and i still have a full set of hellraiser trading cards :)

Halloween_22 4th September 2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 13214)
Also got Jason Vs. Leatherface from eBay a while ago, which is terrible but also quite good fun.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Freddy Vs Jason Vs Ash collection and the Werewolf Women of the SS series, which is by Rob Zombie and based on his Grindhouse trailer.

I've been after those 'Leatherface VS Jason' comics for ages. Really need to add them to my collection at some point. The covers for them are fantastic if nothing else.

I'm looking forward to those series aswell. I got one of Rob Zombie's other series The Nail a while back. It was a four part mini-series about a pro wrestler going up against mutant demonic bikers in some back woods in America somewhere, it was pretty good. I heard they were gonna make that into a film aswell.

Halloween_22 4th September 2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gax (Post 13216)
i have Hellraiser universe comics.Hellraiser,book of the dammed, the harrowers and other clive barker comics Rawhead Rex,yattering and jack,nightbreed,books of blood and i still have a full set of hellraiser trading cards :)

I picked up one of the 'Hellraiser' graphic novels/ collected books a bit ago. I really need to get more of Clive Barkers stuff. I didn't know there were 'Nightbreed' comics, I definatley need to check them out, I'm a huge fan of the film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th September 2008 07:21 PM

Used to love COMMANDO when i was a pup-has this made a comeback?

GreenfanDVD 6th September 2008 05:50 PM

I collect the UK Marvel comics 'Collector's Editions' - Avengers United, Astonishing Spiderman, Essential X-men, Mighty World of Marvel, Fantastic Four Adventures, Wolverine and Deadpool, Marvel legends and Ultimate Spiderman and X-men. I'm also collecting the current run of Hulk (red hulk) from the States. I've just started reading 2000AD, which is a superb comic.

I'm currently writing a Future Shock story to see if I can get it included in 2000AD and I'm writing my own horror/comedy comic book series. If it ends up being good then I will do my best to see if I can get it published.

Nora 10th September 2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 13252)
Used to love COMMANDO when i was a pup-has this made a comeback?

I don't think they ever stopped publishing it - one of the few surviving British weeklies, so I've heard.

Halloween_22 15th September 2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenfanDVD (Post 13358)

I'm currently writing a Future Shock story to see if I can get it included in 2000AD and I'm writing my own horror/comedy comic book series. If it ends up being good then I will do my best to see if I can get it published.

Good luck with 2000AD Greenfan. I've always wanted to illustrate for them, I've done loads of stuff but whenever it's come to submitting it I've always got cold feet and not gone through with it. One of these days i'll actually get something sent off.
Hope your Future Shock story gets published, thats a good way to get into it, a lot of 2000AD's regular writers/ artists started off on Future Shocks.

Mansonsblood 15th September 2008 04:43 PM

I collect some of those UK collectors editions too Greenfan. I still buy the occasional graphic novel as well and have over 50 of the 'Essential' big black and white phonebooks by Marvel. They collect old comics in 500 page chunks for about a tenner and provide plenty of nostalgic reading!

WaveCrest 27th September 2008 06:26 PM

I'm collecting the Halloween comics at the moment. Only read the four-part Halloween: Nightdance, which I was getting disappointed with, but the fourth and final part made the first three parts more better in hindsight.

Creepshow 27th September 2008 06:54 PM

I'm a huge fan of the E.C. horror comics of the 1950's.

I have the complete reprint series' of;

TALES FROM THE CRYPT
THE VAULT OF HORROR
THE HAUNT OF FEAR
CRIME SUSPENSTORIES
SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES

...and a few originals.

I also collect other precode horror comics.

barrykeating 2nd February 2010 10:05 PM

Day Of The Dead: Desertion
 
Hey folks,

Barry Keating here, co-writer of Day Of The Dead: Desertion, the comic that's going to be appearing inside the 25th Anniversary Edition of Day Of The Dead on Blu-ray in March. Just wanted to drop in and say hello.

I don't want to give too much away and spoil the surprise, but we're hoping this twisted origin tale starring Bub will blow you away! It's been a blast working on it with all the guys at Arrow, my co-writer Stefan Hutchinson and artist Jeff Zornow, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when it lands on shelves. I'm so chuffed it's out there now, I've been busting to talk about it!

You'll find me lurking around these boards all the time so feel free to get in touch to talk comics, zombies and gore.

broonage 3rd February 2010 07:35 AM

Damn it, I wish i had a blue ray player to get that comic!!

I have a decent collection. Anyone read Preacher? Holy crap, crazy stuff!
I collect Stephen King comics and also have a decent amount of Commandos, horror comics...

I used to buy the Beano. :)

Pigasus 3rd February 2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halloween_22 (Post 13221)
..I really need to get more of Clive Barkers stuff.

I vaguely remember a graphic novel (series?), Tapping The Vein, which I think were based on Clive Barker's stories from Books Of Blood.

Nowadays, my comic-book reading/ collecting is usually limited to collections or graphic novels of Marvel's revisionist superhero books, like Ultimate Avengers... Dark Avengers is another good series (stuff published in h/c or p/b by Titan). I liked some of the Civil War story-arc, but Secret Invasion epic was better, overall.

Most recently, I enjoyed House Of M and Utopia (both X-Men related).

I don't often read film tie-in comic-adaptations and only a few proper 'horror' comics (alt. world DC titles like Batman: Crimson Mist - where he's a vampire, was good), but I was a big fan of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, and have a couple of John Constantine: Hellblazer titles.

On manga front, I think Ghost In The Shell (I also liked the movie series) is one of best SF styled comics... I enjoyed Frank Miller's Sin City books, but all-time favourite comic-book series is probably Neil Gaiman's The Sandman.

Do you comics-fans prefer the flat four-colour style of comics' artwork, or fully-painted stuff (like Alex Ross' work)?

barrykeating 3rd February 2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broonage (Post 61258)
Damn it, I wish i had a blue ray player to get that comic!!

I have a decent collection. Anyone read Preacher? Holy crap, crazy stuff!
I collect Stephen King comics and also have a decent amount of Commandos, horror comics...

I used to buy the Beano. :)

You can still pick it up, you just won't be able to experience all the cool stuff on the discs. Maybe it's time to upgrade? I use my PS3 for Blu-rays these days, but players aren't that expensive.

And yeah - LOVE Preacher, Garth Ennis is possibly my favourite writer out there and a fellow Irishman. I've picked up a few King adaps over the years but the best ones for me were The Stand and Dark Tower books Marvel did.

And I used to read the Beano too!

mbv 3rd February 2010 11:24 AM

I only have mostly horror related ones like Hellraiser, Weaveworld, Nightbreed,
Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Leatherface, The Thing, Night of the living dead
Have a few Spiderman collections and am a sucker for anything involving the Dark Judges in 2000ad

Really looking forward to getting my hands on the Day of the Dead comic.:bananasuit:

broonage 3rd February 2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrykeating (Post 61267)
You can still pick it up, you just won't be able to experience all the cool stuff on the discs. Maybe it's time to upgrade? I use my PS3 for Blu-rays these days, but players aren't that expensive.

And yeah - LOVE Preacher, Garth Ennis is possibly my favourite writer out there and a fellow Irishman. I've picked up a few King adaps over the years but the best ones for me were The Stand and Dark Tower books Marvel did.

And I used to read the Beano too!

Brilliant, i'll be picking that up.

I don't have a HD TV, so kinda pointless to buy a BR player until i sort that out.
I love how in the Preacher they put in lot's of references to UK/Irish things even though I guess it is aimed mainly at North Americans, in the 2nd graphic novel they have a piss take of Scotland, brilliant!

The Stand is brilliant too, favourite comic.

pedromonkey 3rd February 2010 10:33 PM

i started collecting comics when i was about 9, i was given a box full of them and being 9 didn't take anycare of them even my SPIDER-MAN N0.1, that's now worth over half a mil.:eek: stopped collection for a while, but recently got back into it, mostly marvel stuff and Dc stuff, never really got that into the xmen but for me spidey, punisher and daredevil were my fave MARVEL and of course, DC faves were Batman and Superman, Batman: Long Halloween is one of the best graphic novels i have ever read.

hey broonage, you got the Stephen King Stand comics?

broonage 4th February 2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 61416)
i started collecting comics when i was about 9, i was given a box full of them and being 9 didn't take anycare of them even my SPIDER-MAN N0.1, that's now worth over half a mil.:eek: stopped collection for a while, but recently got back into it, mostly marvel stuff and Dc stuff, never really got that into the xmen but for me spidey, punisher and daredevil were my fave MARVEL and of course, DC faves were Batman and Superman, Batman: Long Halloween is one of the best graphic novels i have ever read.

hey broonage, you got the Stephen King Stand comics?

Yup, i have them all up to the lasst issue.

Gigantor 4th February 2010 03:23 PM

I started reading comics from a young age and haven't stopped.

Wolf 5th February 2010 03:47 PM

I read a few. Just got the first three issues of Haunt. Haven't read them yet though.

Been following Hellblazer quite a lot recently.

I like Warren Ellis' Gravel series too.

darthelvis 11th February 2010 02:32 PM

Used to be a huge comic collector as a teenager mainly X-men titles but stopped when number of spin-offs were getting ridiculous and costly.

I still buy the odd title and mini-series like Freddy vs Jason vs Ash, Warriors film adaptation and Jailbreak (Seem to have stopped!!! grrrrr!!!!), Marvel Zombies (Should stop them now!) and The Walking Dead.

Walking Dead I can't recommend enough! TV series pilot shots in May!

Gigantor 12th February 2010 05:01 AM

Nice thing about being a comic fan these days is that alot of the older stuff has dropped inprice and if you look around you can get some pretty sweet deals.

InDogWeTrust 8th June 2011 01:20 AM

This thread hasn't really been operational for a while but let's get it back up to date.
Get some serious comic talk going on!

Anyone read the Marvel Zombies comics? - I'm a little bit addicted to them!

broonage 8th June 2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust (Post 156476)
This thread hasn't really been operational for a while but let's get it back up to date.
Get some serious comic talk going on!

Anyone read the Marvel Zombies comics? - I'm a little bit addicted to them!

i have a graphic novel of MZ vs. The Evil Dead. Great great artwork in that one!

BioZombie 8th June 2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust (Post 156476)
This thread hasn't really been operational for a while but let's get it back up to date.
Get some serious comic talk going on!

Anyone read the Marvel Zombies comics? - I'm a little bit addicted to them!

I have one of the Marvel Zombies books (the one with Zombie Hulk), been meaning to get the others, but dont have the money.

I'd really like an ipad so I could download comics.

InDogWeTrust 8th June 2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 156489)
I have one of the Marvel Zombies books (the one with Zombie Hulk), been meaning to get the others, but dont have the money.

I'd really like an ipad so I could download comics.

Do you have a PC or a Mac? I can download comics on my Mac, Just needed to download a free app called Simple Comic.

I have so far downloaded
The Walking Dead volumes 1 - 71,
All the Sin City comics that were featured in the Rodriguez film,
Zombie Hunter chapter 1 - 21 (a few of which have some pretty cool sex and boob scenes :eyebrows:),
Six issues of Marvel Zombies Vs. The Army Of Darkness,
Seven issues of Marvel Zombies,
Volumes 1 - 8 of Kick-Ass (I still haven't seen the movie),
Watchmen volumes 1 - 12
and I have a few volumes of the Armory Wars Comics (Previously know as Bang On Line Adventures) which is created by Claudio Sanchez vocalist and guitarist for the band Coheed and Cambria. It's really cool because the comics tell this huge story about these people called Coheed and Cambria and all the bands lyrics tell the story aswell. I don't fully understand it all but it's really creative!

Although I have downloaded quite a few and will continue to do so, I actually prefer real physical comic books to digital ones!

:peace:

On a side note has anyone ever read the comic 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep'
I've seen it around but never actually looked at it, Just always thought it had a funny/cool title!

Demoncrat 8th June 2011 12:12 PM

nae love for Preacher??? c'est la vie...well worth a read.
also the sadly missed Johnny The Homicidal Maniac.
otherwise grew up with 2000AD, to think of the violence and mayhem within those pages....(sighs) ah happy days...

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th June 2011 12:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Back in 1984 i bought the entire 15 issue run of Scream comic.

Does anyone remember it.

Really wish i had kept them, free fangs and all.

the blob 16th June 2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 156529)
Back in 1984 i bought the entire 15 issue run of Scream comic.

Does anyone remember it.

Really wish i had kept them, free fangs and all.

I think I still have mine! Not sure.. I'll have to check the loft..

Daemonia 17th June 2011 01:02 AM

I still read comics when I can find the time. First started reading them in the early 70's, starting with one called Monster Fun, any of the oldies remember that one? Then I graduated to 2000AD which I read from issue 1 and it was (and still is) a fine comic indeed. I also collected stacks of the DC horror comics, The Uncanny, Ghosts, Scary Tales etc. Also used to pick up other odd stuff like Tales of terror with Garth the zombie. Those were the days. I had hundreds. Then I hit a strange and wild time of my life and somewhere along the line lost the lot. In recent years I've managed to track down a lot of the stuff again and have been rebuilding my collection bit-by-bit. I was never very interested in the Marvel comics line, superheroes weren't really my thing. But anything featuring zombies, vampires or werewolves was always a winner with me. :)

Of the new stuff, I've enjoyed the Freddy, TCM, Jason and AOD series. I tend to lean towards film tie-in's when collecting new stuff. But The Walking Dead is a phenomenal series, as was the Night of the Living Dead spin-off Escape of the Living Dead.

There's tons of great stuff out there, but I can't afford it all, dammit. :lol:

InDogWeTrust 17th June 2011 01:54 AM

TCM? Traditional Chinese Medicine?

Comic books based on horror movies are generally pretty good.
I have one issue of the 28 Days Later comic that came with my limited edition of the film. Hoping to collect more of them eventually.

InDogWeTrust 17th June 2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 158572)
There's tons of great stuff out there, but I can't afford it all, dammit. :lol:

I HEAR THAT! :sad:

Mojo 17th June 2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 158572)
I still read comics when I can find the time. First started reading them in the early 70's, starting with one called Monster Fun, any of the oldies remember that one?:lol:

Certainly do Daemonia, although I preferred Shiver & Shake :D

I used to read / collect all those IPC humour titles in the 70s :)

Daemonia 18th June 2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 158742)
Certainly do Daemonia, although I preferred Shiver & Shake :D

I used to read / collect all those IPC humour titles in the 70s :)

Shiver and Shake, I certainly remember that.

How about StarLord? :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.