Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics

Like Tree267Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2012, 11:40 AM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
It's in my local library, suppose I could probably read it all in one sitting seeing as I've done that with the Da Vinci Code and The Exorcist
Hey Rik I have read Blockade Billy, in one sitting as it is very short. I don't understand Baseball whatsoever, but as a short story this still has the quality of Kings other books. Nice twist at the end too. There is also a second short story in the hardcover version of this book. I can't remember the title - its not a great story, unrelated to Baseball tho.

I have read Bare Bones A conversation with Stephen King. I have the 1st Edition of this. It's a good read and some interesting interviews.

Also worth checking out if you have a Kindle are three short stories King wrote exclusive to Kindle. They are

UR - A wonderful short story with links to TheDark Tower series (But works as a stand alone book)

Mile 81 - Classic horror story

A Face in the Crowd - very short story which I haven't read yet.

In the Tall Grass - Written with his son Joe Hill.
Old 16th October 2012, 11:42 AM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I'm a bit more cynical of SK these days, I thought Under the Dome was a Twilight Zone short story stretched out to gigantic length. But for what it's worth The Dark Tower series (that is the original 7-book series) is a monumental work and 6 months of happiest reading of my life.
Dark Tower was theonly book I have ever cried too. It for me also was the happiest reading of my life.
Old 16th October 2012, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Still haven't read any of the Dark Tower books, I will get round to it eventually
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th October 2012, 12:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I love those little cameo appearances that King’s gives his stories – like Salem’s Lot straying into the short story One for the Road, and the short story Night Surf is connected with The Stand. Shawshank prison is referenced in a few books, as well as the dog from Cujo and the Castle Rock Killer from Dead Zone. And King fills his books with numerous references to The Dark Tower series. I love that kind of universe-building...
Rik likes this.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I love those little cameo appearances that King’s gives his stories – like Salem’s Lot straying into the short story One for the Road, and the short story Night Surf is connected with The Stand. Shawshank prison is referenced in a few books, as well as the dog from Cujo and the Castle Rock Killer from Dead Zone. And King fills his books with numerous references to The Dark Tower series. I love that kind of universe-building...
Yeah, I love the whole Castle Rock universe thing, usually when I start one of his books I end up having to force myself to put it down, apart from Lisey's Story which I've tried to read 3 times now and can't get into it. I read his last book in two sittings, absolutely gripped me from the start!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th October 2012, 06:46 PM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, I love the whole Castle Rock universe thing, usually when I start one of his books I end up having to force myself to put it down, apart from Lisey's Story which I've tried to read 3 times now and can't get into it. I read his last book in two sittings, absolutely gripped me from the start!
Rik you swear you will love the Dark Tower, its where alot of unfinished characters from Kings books end up. The first one is alittle stiff to read, but once it takes off in the second there's no putting it down.
Old 16th October 2012, 06:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
Rik you swear you will love the Dark Tower, its where alot of unfinished characters from Kings books end up. The first one is alittle stiff to read, but once it takes off in the second there's no putting it down.
I know, I visit my local library at least once a week but the first one is never on the shelves, I could reserve it but they charge you for it which, even though it's only 50p, it's the principal of it.
Old 16th October 2012, 07:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I agree with Ricky, I abandoned The Gunslinger a few times before I finally nailed it down. King began work on the book in 1970 and I often wonder had he seen El Topo ? It seems unlikely (midnite movies in Maine?), but The Gunslinger definitely has shades of Jodorowsky's film. My favourite of the series is Wizard and Glass and here on in the series becomes genuinely mind-bending, King's talent for invention is breathtaking...

Old 19th October 2012, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Borrowed Blockade Billy from the library today, gonna get stuck into it once the boys are in bed
Old 22nd August 2013, 06:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Talking of Stephen King - the other day I bought It and Under The Dome

Like this? Share it using the links below!