Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree22Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2011, 10:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
The guys at Shameless get on well with Deodato from what I understand so it was a logical choice for them to team up.

As for goodies: you're getting a transfer from a HD master that has been personally overseen by Deodato and an all-new edit. Plus Deodato will be involved with the production of the release and so will be featured in the extras (whatever they may be).

This won't be a vanilla release by any stretch of the imagination!

Plus, Shameless have very sexy yellow-ray cases!
Oh no I was not saying shameless are bad or inferior just that it suited Arrow more IMO. If anyone told me CH is being released I would imagine signature Arrow white case with alternative panels etc.

Glad to hear its not vanilla though.
Any chance of special packaging?

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 10th March 2011, 10:12 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Any chance of special packaging?
Way too early to say at this stage, nekro! At the moment the priority is to get the HD master produced and get Deodato into the edit suite. I imagine it'll be a good while before packaging/artwork is revealed.

However, I will be revealing the reverse art for The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh next week if you want something pretty to look at!

But, no, no Cannibal Holocaust packaging/artwork news for a long while yet!
Old 10th March 2011, 10:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Way too early to say at this stage, nekro! At the moment the priority is to get the HD master produced and get Deodato into the edit suite. I imagine it'll be a good while before packaging/artwork is revealed.

However, I will be revealing the reverse art for The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh next week if you want something pretty to look at!

But, no, no Cannibal Holocaust packaging/artwork news for a long while yet!
ah okies!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 11th March 2011, 01:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

This is interesting news indeed. I'll be curious to see how Deodato approaches this and, if he pulls off something unique, I'll certainly give it a watch.

However....I do feel that this a film that is best viewed in its entirety. I know many people find the animal violence distasteful, and it certainly is, but, like it or not, it's part of the fabric of the film - it's where it gained its notoriety from. Now I know people on here are saying it's a powerful film sans animal cruelty - but the point is, in the back of your mind, even though you're watching the film without it, you still know that such scenes were filmed. For me, it's part of Deodato's statement, it has context, even if we don't like his methods. The entire film is about voyeurism - the voyeurism of violence. For every unspeakable act there is someone watching. When the tribal girl is raped by the filmmakers, there's a tribesmen nearby watching. When the turtle's head is removed it is placed to watch its own dismemberment. Then we have Monroe and the team watching the footage - and we see the filmmakers themselves filming every atrocity. Finally, there's us, the viewer, It's uncomfortbale stuff and profoundly disturbing. It leaves a mark quite unlike any other film. It questions the validity of violence as entertainment and ponders on how far we will go to obtain that entertainment. It's also very reactionary, kicking out against the recently popular Mondo cycle. Deodato even gets in Riz Ortolani, who also scored many of the Mondo films. And lest we kid ourselves that Mondo films weren't popular, let's not forget that Mondo Cane got an Oscar nomination for it's title song - which clearly shows that a film such as that was in the public consciousness.

However, Cannibal Holocaust can never be legally released uncut in the UK, so I think Shameless are doing the best thing possible, and that is to get Deodato on board. That will certain pique interest amongst genre fans.

Like I say, it'll be a curio and I'll certainly check it out. But, ultimately, for the mighty Cannibal Holocaust, it's uncut all the way with me. I just hope that this version doesn't become a revisionist rewriting of cinematic history. As much as we may disapprove of the animal violence, it was filmed and it is part of the film.

And no, I don't 'enjoy' animal violence, but removing the footage or refusing to watch it doesn't change a thing. In fact, as I've said before, these films should remain intact to show that these things did happen and not let filmmakers off the hook. How can you give acclaim to a film that's had the bits you don't like cut out? They were still filmed, it suddenly didn't not happen. Either you like the film or you don't. In the making of Cannibal Holocaust real animals were killed on camera. Whether you see it or not, it still happened. So either shun it completely or accept it for what it is. Don't suddenly embrace it because the censors have made it more palatable for you, I find that a tad hypocritical. And I mean no offence by that, just stating my point of view.

Last edited by Daemonia; 11th March 2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11th March 2011, 01:37 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Very well put Daemonia
Old 11th March 2011, 06:21 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I have to agree as well that the animal cruelty is a part of the film as it's meant to be. If you haven't seen it uncut then honestly, you haven't seen Cannibal Holocaust. It may still be shocking in it's truncated form but you're missing the full impact. That's not advocating animal cruelty at all. It's already been filmed and it can't be denied just because it was wrong and wouldn't happen again now or in recent times.

How many people were overjoyed when Deep Red was finally passed uncut? That's when everyone thought the lizard scene was real. It may totally pale in comparison to what occurs in CH but it seems a little hypocritical to demand DR uncut and then chastise CH for it's practises.

Cannibal Holocaust's shock value stems from it as a whole and it's a powerful film but it seems to get more publicity for it's animal scenes than Ferox, Mountain of the Cannibal God or even something as inocuous as Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll. I just think that if you really want to watch films like these you have to take them for what they are, regardless of right or wrong.

Having said that, it's Deodato's input that makes me want to see this version and it's a very interesting move. If I was going to watch a different version, I'd much rather have one with some genuine thought and re-interpretation than just the nasty bits chopped out.
Old 11th March 2011, 07:25 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

So will this be the version of Cannibal Holocaust Deodato authorises for release the world over from now on, or will this be an exclusively British release?
Old 11th March 2011, 09:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Excellent, well written post Daemonia! I don't disagree with the points that you've raised but I will not miss the animal cruelty as I've fast forwarding the scenes during the two times that I've watched it. There's enough simulated acts in the movie to creep me out.

There's been talk about one particular scene and whilst it's nasty, it doesn't bother me quite as much as the beheading at the climax of the movie. (maybe because i'm male ). There's something about the non-chalant way in which the tribe member casually does it as if it's the most natural act in the world. I find humans acting against others in a cheap view of life far more scary than demon-possessed people. Ok, maybe not all the time...
Old 11th March 2011, 09:45 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

My latest copy of this is an uncut French DVD which I watched and fast forwarded during the "dodgy" scenes. Last time i watched before was on VHS! I think the film is an important piece of cinema and it is a shame that in the UK we can't have it uncut (regardless). I personally would like to see something like previous DVD releases where the film is released uncut (so my anti-censorship mind is calm) but it is possible to "remove" the dodgy scenes whilst watching. But of course that can't happen in the 1984 UK.

P.S. BigAndy, I see your point! I think folks are taking things out of context, that's all..
Old 11th March 2011, 10:34 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by broonage View Post
My latest copy of this is an uncut French DVD
P.S. BigAndy, I see your point! I think folks are taking things out of context, that's all..
I made a similar comment on here in defence of Andy's argument yesterday, too. It's a prime example of just how someone's points can be misinterpreted and how other people immediately jump on the defensive. Hopefully everyone has "that Friday feeling" and are a little less tetchy today
Closed Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!