Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree22Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th July 2011, 08:36 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Shameless have decided to go for as many extras as they can afford (based on the fact that high street retailers will stock standard packaging) instead of going for the special packaging so they now can't do LE packaging as well. They just don't have the finances of a major company to take this kind of gamble, especially in the current climate.

It's a real shame but, trust me, you're getting an excellent package regardless!

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using Tapatalk
ok

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 20th July 2011, 01:52 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
In response to the questions about Limited Edition packaging:

I've spoken to Shameless and, unfortunately, they have been forced to abandon the idea of a limited edition metal case (which was their original plan). This is due to the fact that high street retailers have said that they cannot "support" a special edition. This means that they won't make room on their shelves for it and, therefore, won't order it. As metal cases are very costly to produce per unit, Shameless have had no choice but to release the film in standard yellow amaray for the DVD and Shameless' own yello-ray cases for the BD or run the risk of not being able to cover their costs. I'm sure you all appreciate that this is not a risk a small, niche company like Shameless can afford to take.

Instead, however, Shameless have opted to have the most amount of extras they can, making this the highest budgeted Shameless release to date! The special features list on Amazon is correct, although the Francesca Cirdi interview is actually part of the documentary.

Incidentally, the film will be released as 2 x DVD9 for the DVD edition, and 1 x BD50 for the BD edition.

Oh, PS. Baseball Fury: you will definitely receive a BD edition of the film.
Only 1 x BD50? 2 versions of the film and all the extras on just 1 disc won't that compromise the bitrate for 1 disc?
Old 20th July 2011, 02:22 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw285 View Post
Only 1 x BD50? 2 versions of the film and all the extras on just 1 disc won't that compromise the bitrate for 1 disc?
I wouldn't have thought so as a BD50 has a huge storage capacity and, even in its uncut form, Cannibal Holocaust is 97 minutes long so you're probably looking at 180 minutes of the film (over two different cuts) along with the special features. Unless there were several DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 tracks on each version, that's well within the capabilities of a BD .
Old 20th July 2011, 03:05 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw285 View Post
What Nos said!
Old 21st July 2011, 10:12 AM
Cult Rookie

Ahh this is very disappointing news! Really looking forward to this release. Must be something a bit special packaging wise that's not quite as costly as a steelbook? A numbered lenticular slipcase even?
Old 21st July 2011, 10:22 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
Might be less than 5, they just don't seem interested in competing with the internet age, I fear for smaller Independents too, 2nd hand shops seem to have stepped in, my local CG type shop told a punter with a bag of mint looking DVDs to sell "we only pay 50p per title on DVD, a bit more on Blu-Ray" A bit more?? Had to laugh at that. Then it made me sad, Odd thing is they have a huge selection so people in financial trouble end up flogging their treasured discs for 50p.
Now that is sad. 50p for a dvd? I'd rather snap them in two in front of them, but that's just me. My local cash converter-type shop has many, many dvds. I would say that I only manage to snaffle a bargain or interesting title about once a month if I'm lucky, most of them are simply fit to be coasters.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

I still dont think its a good idea to stop the LE because of HMV as to be honest random people in HMV wont pick up a LE of CH as non horror fans wont have even heard of it and knowing HMV prices wont pick it up if they have no idea what it is.

Online knowledge of CH is where its at so a online only LE would deffo sell fast!
If its region free then people from all over the world will buy it ONLINE and not travel to the UK to buy it from HMV.

its just my 2 cents tho :lol

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 21st July 2011, 12:17 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
I still dont think its a good idea to stop the LE because of HMV as to be honest random people in HMV wont pick up a LE of CH as non horror fans wont have even heard of it and knowing HMV prices wont pick it up if they have no idea what it is.

Online knowledge of CH is where its at so a online only LE would deffo sell fast!
If its region free then people from all over the world will buy it ONLINE and not travel to the UK to buy it from HMV.

its just my 2 cents tho :lol
Probably depends on how much of Shameless' sales come from the high street and how much come from online. Sarah, don't suppose you have any sort of answer to this do you, just would be quite interesting as a bit of insight
Old 21st July 2011, 12:20 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
As I've already said, high street sales make up around 50% of Shameless' sales. And I know plenty of non-horror fans who have heard of CH because of the video nasties scandal etc. and would buy it out of curiosity so don't underestimate casual buyers who pick up titles in-store.

And, again, Shameless have now spent extra money on as many extras as they can afford so creating any kind of special edition packaging (all of which costs a lot per unit - even lenticular cards/slipcases) is out of the question.

I know it's disappointing news but in the current climate a company like Shameless just can't afford to gamble on this without the support of HMV who more or less have monopoly over high street BD/DVD sales since Zavvi went.
Old 21st July 2011, 02:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
As I've already said, high street sales make up around 50% of Shameless' sales. And I know plenty of non-horror fans who have heard of CH because of the video nasties scandal etc. and would buy it out of curiosity so don't underestimate casual buyers who pick up titles in-store.

And, again, Shameless have now spent extra money on as many extras as they can afford so creating any kind of special edition packaging (all of which costs a lot per unit - even lenticular cards/slipcases) is out of the question.

I know it's disappointing news but in the current climate a company like Shameless just can't afford to gamble on this without the support of HMV who more or less have monopoly over high street BD/DVD sales since Zavvi went.
Shame indeed!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Closed Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!