Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Cannibal Holocaust (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   SHAM031/SHAM201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The Archive Discussion (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cannibal-holocaust/4886-sham031-sham201-cannibal-holocaust-archive-discussion.html)

JAMIOUSE 8th March 2011 10:13 PM

Very intresting choice of release and much needed, the Vipco / Cornerstone editions are the only editions available here in the UK. Which makes me ask are those illegal? If Shameless have bought the rights should Vipco / Cornerstone be releasing it at all? Will the Shameless edition rival the Grindhouse DVD? I'm certainly intrigued as to what Deodato will have done with Holocaust. What next Cannibal Ferox?

Sarah@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 10:35 PM

Righty, I now have some details for you guys and it's all a bit exciting:

I can confirm that Shameless is in talks with Deodato to create a brand new edit of Cannibal Holocaust. Exactly what that will entail I don't know for now - it's all in the early stages but is sure to be one of the most interesting and hotly anticipated releases of 2011.

I can also confirm that Deodato is participating in the release and will feature in the extras.

Perhaps most excitingly? I can confirm that Deodato is overseeing the production of a brand new HD master of the film in Rome which is currently in the restoration phase: so the Shameless release will be both DVD and Blu-ray!

That's SHAM031 and SHAM201!

As everything is in the very early stages I can't confirm anything further for now but, rest assured, any information on this release will be revealed here first!

tollickd 8th March 2011 10:40 PM

Blu-Ray! Is this the first HD release for the Cannibal Holocaust?

I am over the moon, I don't own a copy of this!!!

Sarah@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tollickd (Post 134105)
Blu-Ray! Is this the first HD release for the Cannibal Holocaust?

As far as I'm aware it is...

minky starshine 9th March 2011 12:45 AM

I'm generally a very negative person(prob something to do with the films I watch!!!)..so..I think Cannibal Holocaust has been thrashed to within an inch of it's life by other dvd companies..I really don't know what Deodato can do with it other than re-arrange and cut things out..don't fancy that..any extra footage would be a major bonus,but if nothing ain't emerged up to this point then I'm not gonna hold my breath..I'll probably still buy this and put it with my various other version(is there another film that has be released so many times?).........having said all that I have to take my hat off to Shameless(and Arrow)for bringing us some fantastical releases to date(Designated Victim is a classic)and I think Holocaust will prove to be a best seller for Shameless..looking forward to more info/spec features/art etc...well done(trying to be positive now..)

nekromantik 9th March 2011 01:50 AM

wow a bluray too!!!
if the only thing missing is the animal cruelty then I will deffo be getting the bluray.
Already own the Aussy 2 disc set (clone of grindhouse).

the blob 9th March 2011 04:02 AM

I'm hoping he throws in a CGI Jabba in there somewhere.

Seriously though, this sounds really interesting. :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th March 2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 134103)
Righty, I now have some details for you guys and it's all a bit exciting:

I can confirm that Shameless is in talks with Deodato to create a brand new edit of Cannibal Holocaust. Exactly what that will entail I don't know for now - it's all in the early stages but is sure to be one of the most interesting and hotly anticipated releases of 2011.

I can also confirm that Deodato is participating in the release and will feature in the extras.

Perhaps most excitingly? I can confirm that Deodato is overseeing the production of a brand new HD master of the film in Rome which is currently in the restoration phase: so the Shameless release will be both DVD and Blu-ray!

That's SHAM031 and SHAM201!

As everything is in the very early stages I can't confirm anything further for now but, rest assured, any information on this release will be revealed here first!

Fantastic news! :clap: Cannibal Holocaust on Blu-Ray = an essential purchase! :dance:

It's great to hear that Deodato is personally overseeing the HD master, too.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th March 2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 134122)
Fantastic news! :clap: Cannibal Holocaust on Blu-Ray = an essential purchase! :dance:

It's great to hear that Deodato is personally overseeing the HD master, too.

That's pretty much what I was going to say!

Paul@TheOverlook 9th March 2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minky starshine (Post 134111)
I'm generally a very negative person(prob something to do with the films I watch!!!)..so..I think Cannibal Holocaust has been thrashed to within an inch of it's life by other dvd companies..I really don't know what Deodato can do with it other than re-arrange and cut things out..don't fancy that..any extra footage would be a major bonus,but if nothing ain't emerged up to this point then I'm not gonna hold my breath..

I think it's best to wait and see what happens with this new cut. As far as I know, Deodato has never been given the opportunity to revist the film until now and the fact that he's going back to the elements 30 years after making the film it will be interesting to see just how different the film will be. Even if he adds no new footage at all.

My only one concern is that I hope he doesn't change any of the music though!

...which reminds me, did anyone ever see Francis Coppola's revised version of THE OUTSIDERS? It was billed as "The Complete Novel" and incorporated almost 30 minutes of additional footage. The new footage is ace, and a lot of teh supporting characters are fleshed-out more. Sadly, his father's elegant score is largely missing and replaced by ill-fitting surf music that is better suited to Pulp Fiction than it is The Outsiders.