Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree22Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2011, 11:29 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
Like everyone else I have no interest in seeing the animal cruelty
I don't have much interest in seeing it anymore but I am glad I have seen (and own) the fully uncut version with the animal cruelty intact. As a piece of exploitation cinema history I feel that having the fully uncut version in my collection is essential and feel strongly that that version shouldn't be brushed under the carpet and dismissed just because Deodato regrets what he did and society in general has shifted it's views on scenes like this being shown in films for exploitative purposes.

First seeing this film uncut and watching the animals being killed for real on screen really did have a massive impact. You really got a feeling that if the film makers were willing to pull off that nasty shit then what the hell else would they do to 'get the shot' in other scenes. It added a weird sense of gritty realism that has stayed with me to this day.

I can now watch it without the need to see the cruelty, I've had that scratch itched. Wasn't too pleasant but I feel it was necessary all the same.

I look forward to seeing how Deodato finely tunes his film all these years later.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:12 PM
Cult Rookie

Is it animal cruelty if the animal is being killed for the pot ?

After all Bear Grylls kills and eats "live things" which is deemed
ok for TV & DVD, so really would BBFC ask for cuts ?
I'm a celeb blah blah turns it into a ghoulish entertainment treat.

Just playing devils advocate really.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-UK View Post
Is it animal cruelty if the animal is being killed for the pot ?

After all Bear Grylls kills and eats "live things" which is deemed
ok for TV & DVD, so really would BBFC ask for cuts ?
I'm a celeb blah blah turns it into a ghoulish entertainment treat.

Just playing devils advocate really.
What I find most offensive about Grylls is that his programme is supposed to instruct viewers how to survive out in the wilds, and he goes about killing animals and the like, but when the camera stop rolling he allegedly packs up for the night and stays in a hotel. I'm really not one to wish ill-health on anyone but I'd be quite satisfied if he got maimed by an animal. Especially if it were part of one of his shows.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:25 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
Like everyone else I have no interest in seeing the animal cruelty, and if Shamless can put a version togther that has everything else but the animal stuff, then there's nothing in the world that'll stop me from buying it.
Couldn't have put it better myself!

This is revolutionary stuff, and full credit to all of those who are attempting to pull it off
Old 9th March 2011, 12:28 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedorca View Post
This is revolutionary stuff, and full credit to all of those who are attempting to pull it off
Hardly revolutionary as the Grindhouse DVD has the animal cruelty free option already.

It is a great idea to get Deodato on board to revisit the film and approach a new edit for the UK market though.
Old 9th March 2011, 01:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
It is a great idea to get Deodato on board to revisit the film and approach a new edit for the UK market though.
That's the revolutionary bit I was talking about
Old 9th March 2011, 01:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I don't have much interest in seeing it anymore but I am glad I have seen (and own) the fully uncut version with the animal cruelty intact. As a piece of exploitation cinema history I feel that having the fully uncut version in my collection is essential and feel strongly that that version shouldn't be brushed under the carpet and dismissed just because Deodato regrets what he did and society in general has shifted it's views on scenes like this being shown in films for exploitative purposes.

I can now watch it without the need to see the cruelty, I've had that scratch itched. Wasn't too pleasant but I feel it was necessary all the same.

I look forward to seeing how Deodato finely tunes his film all these years later.
That very much nails how I feel about this movie too- as well as my anticipation for the "Rebuild Version".
It'll be the fourth time I'll pick this one up- vhs and laserdisc not counted- but hey, it's "Cannibal Holocaust" and it's one of my all time faves!
Old 9th March 2011, 01:51 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
That very much nails how I feel about this movie too- as well as my anticipation for the "Rebuild Version".
It'll be the fourth time I'll pick this one up- vhs and laserdisc not counted- but hey, it's "Cannibal Holocaust" and it's one of my all time faves!
Mine too Peter - such a powerful film and instantly became a fav of mine the very first time I saw it way back on Vipco. It'll be very intersting to see what Deodato does with it now, that's for sure. Eeee - so excited!
Old 9th March 2011, 01:51 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm proper excited about this news, I'm one of those rare horror fans who've never actually seen this film. As I'm going to collect all the Shameless BD's regardless of the title, this is just great news for me.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 9th March 2011, 01:55 PM
Cultist in Training

I was first with the name of director
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/123513-post49.html
Closed Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!